Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the problem I had with my 3.8L. All these engines (made in amerika) are ****. I was supposed to get a new block (long block) but at the time of my engine replacement, their was none available, Hyundai and the dealer only replaced the top half of the engine when they were authorized for a complete engine replacement.

This 'debris' problem is why the dealer tech went thru 3 new, replacement oil pumps and still got zero oil pressure. 2009-2012 GC's did not have gauge packages. The 'oil temp' gauge in the 2013-2016 GC may not indicate a problem because its a oil pressure problem, without any or proper oil pressure, premature failure and or engine seize will eventually occur

The warranty engineers in Fountain Valley must have examined my factory engine parts and have determined that another major engine recall was needed. It would appear that the 3.8 and 2.0 lambda engines do have the same defect coming out of the same Alabama engine plant.

MAKE SURE you are keeping records of your oil changes AND the viscosity used. Hyundai and the dealership switched my oil from conventional to synth in order to help 'mask' this problem. Dealerships are PISSED OFF they have to do warranty work on complete engine replacements

My advice is to listen for the 'ting' sound (metal shavings mixed with oil, hitting the pan) and however you can, get your engines oil pressure checked to make sure you are getting pressure. The oil "restriction" mentioned in the recall announcement is a bit skewed, its not the oil temperature rise but the lack of oil pressure that can cause failure, as engine heat without lube, metal continues to break down. As the metal breaks down from lack of lube, it creates more and more debris

Our GC's are assembled in S Korea, but these American made engines suck! :gc-wmscared0016:

Hyundai, Kia recall 1.4M vehicles; engines can fail - ABC News

Hyundai and Kia are recalling 1.4 million cars and SUVs in the U.S., Canada and South Korea because the engines can fail and stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall covers some of the Korean automakers' most popular models in the U.S. and Canada including 2013 and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUVs and Sonata midsize cars. Also covered are Kia Optima midsize cars from 2011 through 2014, Kia Sportage SUVs from 2011 through 2013 and Kia Sorento SUVs from 2012 through 2014.

The South Korean recall includes Hyundai's Grandeur and Sonata sedans and Kia's K5, K7 and Sportage with engines produced from 2009 to 2013.

All have either 2-Liter or 2.4-Liter gasoline engines. The U.S. engines were made at the Hyundai's engine plant in Alabama.

The companies say in documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that debris left from manufacturing can restrict oil flow to connecting rod bearings. Since they are cooled by oil, the restriction can increase temperatures and cause the bearings to wear and fail, and the engines could stall.

Owners will hear a knocking sound from the engine that increases in frequency as the engine speed rises. They also could get engine warning lights on their dashboard, Hyundai spokesman Jim Trainor said. Those with problems should contact their dealers.

Hyundai and Kia will notify owners and dealers will inspect the engines. They'll replace the block if needed at no cost to owners. The recall is scheduled to start on May 19.

Trainor said the company has no reports of any crashes or injuries.

The U.S. recall is the second in the past two years for the same engine problem. In September of 2015, Hyundai recalled 470,000 Sonata sedans from the 2011 and 2012 model years with the same engines.

Kia documents posted Friday by U.S. regulators show the company at first didn't think the problem affected its engines because warranty claims and field reports were low. But claims started growing and by May 2016 the company extended warranties on the engines. Eventually it decided to do a recall because of the potential safety problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i wonder if i should be worried about my 2014 2.0...

**edit**

i was also going to get oil analysis ( i actually have the black jar at home waiting) but havent yet. i guess that will be important to check on my next oil change, and possibly grab an oil pressure gauge too.

hey what mods do you have on your engine Lethal1ty17?

im curious specifically if you are still using stock airbox and filter and what your change interval on the air filter is (and if you use blackstone to determine that or not)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Luckily mine doesn't seem to be affected or have any high amount of wear metals at almost 160k.

Nice full report there. Are you using synth? You would have had "check engine light" come on already and have gone to dealer to see what codes tripped, including CVVT OIL CONTROL VALVE, I think 0014. What this and the previous engine recall notices are not saying is, and they should be, this is an oil pressure problem, not a oil temperature problem.

Because our GC's do not come with a oil pressure gauge (like Mustang, Camaro..etc), the owner cannot tell anything about oil. The oil temp gauge in the 2013-2016, is pretty much useless, I would much rather have a engine block temp gauge rather than oil temp

As our GC was Hyundai's first attempt at "performance model", design engineering obviously forgot that an oil pressure gauge is 'standard equipment' for any high performance engine. :mad2:

Glad to hear your car has not had this problem especially after the 6 figure mark, even my regular neighborhood mechanic does not have the means to check my coups oil pressure, only Hyundai and the dealer know what pressure my engine is emitting, and that's dangerous

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice full report there. Are you using synth? You would have had "check engine light" come on already and have gone to dealer to see what codes tripped, including CVVT OIL CONTROL VALVE, I think 0014. What this and the previous engine recall notices are not saying is, and they should be, this is an oil pressure problem, not a oil temperature problem.

Because our GC's do not come with a oil pressure gauge (like Mustang, Camaro..etc), the owner cannot tell anything about oil. The oil temp gauge in the 2013-2016, is pretty much useless, I would much rather have a engine block temp gauge rather than oil temp

As our GC was Hyundai's first attempt at "performance model", design engineering obviously forgot that an oil pressure gauge is 'standard equipment' for any high performance engine. :mad2:

Glad to hear your car has not had this problem especially after the 6 figure mark, even my regular neighborhood mechanic does not have the means to check my coups oil pressure, only Hyundai and the dealer know what pressure my engine is emitting, and that's dangerous
Yes full synthetic, Mobil 1 Extended Performance. All the info on this sample is at the top, along with the previous samples, it was a 10,222 mile oil drain interval with at least one WOT pull to redline every time it was warm, same as every other sample except I'm trying different oils to see which one works best for the 3.8L. OEM filter. No dash lights on. Even has a CAI, SFR Stage 1 tune, and ARK exhaust. Running 87 octane because I don't really need that extra 8hp on premium and that's what the tune was for anyways. I drive so much the cost difference adds up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wonder if i should be worried about my 2014 2.0...

I think at this point, all GC owners with American, Alabama made engines (2009-2016), should be concerned about their cars oil pressure and the engines shelf life, we should start writing letters to Hyundai about this major engineering oversight and or quality assurance blunder :door:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you AutoGuide for clarifying "stalling v seizing"

Nearly 1.2M Hyundai and Kia Vehicles Recalled for Engine Problems » AutoGuide.com News

Hyundai is calling back vehicles that have engines that may seize unexpectedly.

A total of 1,190,160 vehicles are being recalled because errors during the machining process can cause a bearing in the engine to prematurely wear. As a result, it could cause the part to fail and the engine to seize, increasing the risk of a crash. The issue was discovered after a high number of warranty repairs were done for a recurring issue.

The affected vehicles include the 2013-2014 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe Sport, 2011-2014 Kia Optima, 2012-2014 Kia Sorento and 2011-2013 Kia Sportage.

Hyundai will notify owners and dealers will inspect the engine, replacing the engine short block as necessary, free of charge. Hyundai is expected to start its recall on May 19, 2017 while Kia will begin on May 25, 2017.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Guess I'll just wait for my recall notice. On my third oil change . Just did my third oil change last week in my driveway. I'm at 10,300mi. I use the platinum full natural synthetic oil from Pennzoil. I used it in my Veloster turbo when I had it.

·
Registered
171 Posts

sorry but i have other cars with oil pressure gauges in them and you know what is the inevitable problem?
99% of factory gauges suck.
even if gencoupe had a factory pressure gauge it likely would be just as useless as the boost gauge.

anyways sounds like that should be the first mod for most people now ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts