Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
37,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hyundai has taken the wraps off its latest concept, the Vision G, a dramatic yet elegantly styled coupe that previews what the Korean automaker has in store for its future cars. The automaker has already been winning car buyers with value and reliability, so performance, style and luxury are the next logical stepping stones.

“The design is our interpretation of the idea that Hyundai breathes into all of its vehicles – a DNA that balances design and performance with the idea that you don’t need to be over the top in terms of glitz and stereotypical luxury cues,” said Peter Schreyer, Hyundai’s president and chief design officer, in a press release.

Unveiled during the prestigious Monterey Car Week and at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the location for this media reveal speaks volumes about the upmarket aspirations Hyundai has for its brand and future cars. Hyundai is in need of a halo car, and the Vision G gives us a hint at what it might be like.

The coupe’s long hood, high-beltline proportions are classic and the car immediately stands out as something athletic and posh.

SEE ALSO: Hyundai Sports Car Shelved for Time Being

Sporting purposeful, lean lines, the Vision G is one of the most elegant concepts Hyundai has shown in a while. Hyundai designers tried to embody the notions of “chivalry” and “respectful luxury” into the concept. Expect this new design language to trickle down into the next generation of Hyundai production cars.

The Vision G is a refreshing change from the barrage of unrealistic and hyper-aggressive looking crossover concepts we’ve seen so much of. Clearly hinting at what a future Hyundai luxury sports car could look like, the Vision G is powered by the award winning Tau V8 engine. The 5.0L engine, which powers the Genesis sedan (AutoGuide.com’s 2015 Car of the Year), produces 420 hp at 6,000 rpm and 383 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm. Applied to a lightweight, purpose-built sports car, this engine has huge potential.

On the inside, the interior has beautiful quilted leather seats and classy wood accents. The dashboard is dominated by a digital gauge cluster and a wide infotainment screen, while there’s almost no buttons, which makes the dash look clean and modern.

The Vision G will make its public debut at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday, a space typically reserved for exotic supercars and ultra luxurious marques. The Vision G will also likely be making its rounds at this year’s upcoming auto shows. Hyundai is trying to make a bold statement with the new concept, and there’s really no better place to do it than with the giants of the automotive world at Pebble Beach.

Hyundai Previews Future of Design with Vision G Coupe Concept

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I honestly don't like how it flows into the rear end. It looks like a station wagon gone coupe..... The Front end is sharp, probably the nicest aspect of the vehicle, but the rear end looks like garbage and the interior looks like something my grandfather would get excited over, just too much use of tan and wood. I do like the simplicity of the dash; however, tactile buttons are much nicer than touch screens in a vehicle imo. I like to be able to feel around for what I'm doing and not have to look away from the road while switching my music or turning on the A/C.

In fact, looking at all the rest of the pics, it kind of looks like Mercedes and Bentley had a hate child. But ehhh, to each their own I suppose...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Aston Marin, Bently, Lexus had a bastard child?
I was actually going to post saying that it looked like the Genesis Sedan had sex with a Bentley and had a mixed baby... you beat me to it haha.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like it. V8 luxury sports coupe without the German pretentiousness.

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
This makes me feel like Hyundai has no loyalty to its own cars. Instead of improving the work of the 1st and 2nd generation Gen coupe, they are completely abandoning the car and starting from scratch. Did Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda, Nissan, Ford, etc abandon their sports car? (Well Mitsubishi did ;p) The point is improve the car, make it build a name for you in the sports car community. Otherwise your just going to keep throwing money at a program that's gonna develop a newer looking P.O.S. with the same if not more problems as your last bright idea. Hone your craft, Hyundai started their big bang with the gen coupe, now.....fix the damn problems that plague the car and it will sell. It's one of the best if not the best looking sport coupe on the market! Minus 2nd Gen, that's one ugly baby! I truly love my car when I get bored I wanna trade her in because of the silly ass issues, but every time I look around the only thing going for other cars is a little more performance and support. I know this falls on deaf ears, but damn.... i just wish this car wouldn't be another failed experiment by Hyundai.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree that Hyundai needs to stick with perfecting certain models rather than abandoning great concepts and design cues altogether. The Gen Coupe was by far one of the sleekest designed cars out there in '09 and remains that way 6 years later. Many tried to say the GC was a discount G37 Coupe because it looks similar, but I'm sorry, the GC's styling outweighs the more expensive Infiniti by leaps and bounds imho. From the dropped rear window to the sculpted rear end & aerodynamic face, the GC's body still looks better than most '15/'16 cars out there. Now, as for this Vision G concept, it does in fact look like a mixture of Bentley's rear, Genesis Sedan's front end with the interior of a Lexus and a late 70's Buick dash. Why does Hyundai revert back to their luxury-car-mimicking days? Not liking it at all, especially if it's meant to replace the HND 9 concept, which in itself was too much of a drastic change from the '09 GC body if Hyundai was looking to build some design continuity. Honestly, though I own and operate a '13 GC (lightly modded to offset my initial dislike of Hyundai's refreshed front fascia), I thought crooked H should have kept the '09 body style throughout and just reworked certain features for the refresh rather than making such a drastic change as they did for the '13. I feel the same about the '16/'17 concept, as I would have kept that same aerodynamic feel, the characteristic dropped rear window and wide rear hips while massaging the sheet-metal into a more modern-looking, updated GC that resembles the original, but with a sportier/much improved twist to it like Ford did with their '06, '10 and '15 mustang designs. This way, someone looking at a '16/'17 GC might say, "Oh, that must be the new Gen Coupe. Looks similar to the original, but I like the new and improved body-style!"

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's one of the best if not the best looking sport coupe on the market! Minus 2nd Gen, that's one ugly baby! .
I agreed with what you said, except for this. You cannot truly believe that every 2nd gen genesis is ugly. And if you do, well sir, Ill help fund you for your new set of eyes.

Attachments

·
mr easy
41 Posts
Not impressed at all.Looks to be heavy to me with big blind spots, small trunk.Bet it would be priced over 40k.Looks like a Lexus or AM .As a concept car I would expect much better styling..

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
Ok maybe i was a little harsh hah! there are a lot of bad ass Gen2's out there especially with those wide body kits ooo wee!!! BUT! lets be honest, straight out the factory I think everyone will agree, you didnt have to do anything to the first gen to just fall in love, IMO.

I agreed with what you said, except for this. You cannot truly believe that every 2nd gen genesis is ugly. And if you do, well sir, Ill help fund you for your new set of eyes.

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
I agree that Hyundai needs to stick with perfecting certain models rather than abandoning great concepts and design cues altogether. The Gen Coupe was by far one of the sleekest designed cars out there in '09 and remains that way 6 years later. Many tried to say the GC was a discount G37 Coupe because it looks similar, but I'm sorry, the GC's styling outweighs the more expensive Infiniti by leaps and bounds imho. From the dropped rear window to the sculpted rear end & aerodynamic face, the GC's body still looks better than most '15/'16 cars out there. Now, as for this Vision G concept, it does in fact look like a mixture of Bentley's rear, Genesis Sedan's front end with the interior of a Lexus and a late 70's Buick dash. Why does Hyundai revert back to their luxury-car-mimicking days? Not liking it at all, especially if it's meant to replace the HND 9 concept, which in itself was too much of a drastic change from the '09 GC body if Hyundai was looking to build some design continuity. Honestly, though I own and operate a '13 GC (lightly modded to offset my initial dislike of Hyundai's refreshed front fascia), I thought crooked H should have kept the '09 body style throughout and just reworked certain features for the refresh rather than making such a drastic change as they did for the '13. I feel the same about the '16/'17 concept, as I would have kept that same aerodynamic feel, the characteristic dropped rear window and wide rear hips while massaging the sheet-metal into a more modern-looking, updated GC that resembles the original, but with a sportier/much improved twist to it like Ford did with their '06, '10 and '15 mustang designs. This way, someone looking at a '16/'17 GC might say, "Oh, that must be the new Gen Coupe. Looks similar to the original, but I like the new and improved body-style!"
I cant stand how the Gen gets a back seat to all other cars because its a Hyundai, like got damn man its really got potential! but no one wants to touch it. Shes like the chick at the party that everyone would hook up with, but wont go long term because shes got a bad track record haha!:crying:

·
Boss A$$ Bitch
87 Posts
This isn't replacing the gen coupe it's an addition to Hyundais luxury line like the Gen sedan and equus.

·
Boss A$$ Bitch
87 Posts
soooooo if that's the case why is it called a G coupe? i thought that was short for "Genesis "
Not sure why they couldn't come up with a better name. But it's a spin off of the sedan. Maybe they'll come up with a better name in the future but for now it's Vision G coupe. And it's going to be stupid expensive lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks like a Sedan with the back doors welded shut. No thanks! I've owned two, a 2010GT and a 2013 GT which they did away with. Time to buy a 2016 Camaro.

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
Not sure why they couldn't come up with a better name. But it's a spin off of the sedan. Maybe they'll come up with a better name in the future but for now it's Vision G coupe. And it's going to be stupid expensive lol
I think its going to be just plain stupid.

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
Looks like a Sedan with the back doors welded shut. No thanks! I've owned two, a 2010GT and a 2013 GT which they did away with. Time to buy a 2016 Camaro.

call me crazy but for some reason i look at the new Camaro back end and think... BATMAN! I love Batman, but i just cant do it. To this day i still cannot love any car, under 30 Grand the way i love my 1st generation Gen!:crying:

·
2015/White/3.8/Automatic
266 Posts
The 2nd gen is ugly LOL!?!?!? What a crock of poop. The grill on the first gen looked like a cheap Kia idea. Horrible...and 200 hp Yeah the FIRST gen was a piece of ****....

·
Hiding in the open
59 Posts
The 2nd gen is ugly LOL!?!?!? What a crock of poop. The grill on the first gen looked like a cheap Kia idea. Horrible...and 200 hp Yeah the FIRST gen was a piece of ****....
Hahaha! :laugh:look i made him mad, people are so sensitive..... I wonder how he reacts, when others tell him they dont like his 2nd gen, O NVM i know. :grin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts