Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

I bought a bone stock Genesis 3.8 BK2 2013 AT8 low mileage, now what?

8K views 124 replies 14 participants last post by  love02 
#1 ·
Hello, I am Peter from Sweden, Stockholm. This is my first post.

I just owned my car for a month and I love it, I am new to driving a sports car and still learning it, how it drives and how it behaves and such.

But I have notices that I often get wheel spin at red lights or traction control kicks in on a turn with some power is applied. I am thinking this has to do with the original tires being 10 years of age and the rubber is old.

What improvements would you guys start doing if you owned my car?

I am thinking of new 20" wheels and new tires, and do E85 conversion. Is this a good idea?

I can see in the service book they changed sparkplugs recently, why do you think they have done that on a 42,000km (26,000miles) car?

#3 ·
Very nice, love the white. Yes 10 year old tires should probably be replaced. The stock wheels look nice, (to my eye) but are somewhat narrow and very heavy. I went with ESR RF2's in 19X8.5 +30 front with Firehawk's in 245 35 19, and 19X9.5 +35, with 265 35 19 rears. They fit perfectly for my taste, (not quite flush but close) no spacers and no rub.
Welcome and keep us posted on your progress.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#4 ·
Thank you for liking it and thank you for your warm welcome!
I prefer black or white cars, and I really like the choice of rims for your black Gen. They really pop!

I actually just now ordered new wheels (no tires yet)
Not sure if they will be flushed / legal without modifications. What do you think lvdukerider

I got these:

Imaz Wheels IM5 Left 10x20 ET38 HUB 74,1 Black Polished
Imaz Wheels IM5 Right 10x20 ET38 HUB 74,1 Black Polished
Imaz Wheels IM5 Left 9x20 ET38 HUB 74,1 Black Polished
Imaz Wheels IM5 Right 9x20 ET38 HUB 74,1 Black Polished
(5x114,3)

#8 ·
I have a 2011 3.8 Track with the manual transmission.

Over the years I've found that my car will not spin the rear tires in a straight line. If the tires start to spin it just chokes out the engine and the rpm drops till the computer/programming decides the engine rpm meets the car mph and then the car will start to accelerate again.

When turning right, if the tires start to spin it will, again, kind of kill the acceleration and the tires stop spinning.

When turning left it will burn the tires till I let up on the gas pedal. I've spun the tires from a dead stop start across three lanes of traffic pulling across the oncoming lane and the center turn lane to get to the traffic lanes on the other side of the road. I've spun the tires from a dead stop start across three lanes of traffic turning into a parking lot across the street/road.

I have no explanation for why the tires will spin when turning left. They just do.

At close to $700 for two rear tires I really don't try to spin the tires.

#94 ·
I have a 2011 3.8 Track with the manual transmission.

Over the years I've found that my car will not spin the rear tires in a straight line. If the tires start to spin it just chokes out the engine and the rpm drops till the computer/programming decides the engine rpm meets the car mph and then the car will start to accelerate again.

When turning right, if the tires start to spin it will, again, kind of kill the acceleration and the tires stop spinning.

When turning left it will burn the tires till I let up on the gas pedal. I've spun the tires from a dead stop start across three lanes of traffic pulling across the oncoming lane and the center turn lane to get to the traffic lanes on the other side of the road. I've spun the tires from a dead stop start across three lanes of traffic turning into a parking lot across the street/road.

I have no explanation for why the tires will spin when turning left. They just do.

At close to $700 for two rear tires I really don't try to spin the tires.
[

#73 ·
The best move is to install "coil overs". Lowering springs will make your car ride like a sled. The stock shocks weren't designed to support the weight of the car with minimum spring support. You'll be sorry.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
My car is still 100% stock. All I've done is oil/filter changes, air filter changes, and put a couple sets of stock sized tires on it.

Only advice I can give is the Bridgestone tires far outlast the Kumho tires (dealership recommended and installed the Kumhos after assuring me they were just as good, or better than the original Bridgestones).

At 72,000 miles I've still got the original brake pads on mine (accelerating around/past is preferable to hitting the brakes for me.)

I've never been disappointed in how it runs/handles stock so I've never bothered/spent money to increase power levels.

#14 ·
Ok the tire garage called me back and this is interesting. First of all, they want my to come over with the wheels when I get them, to see how they fit and then decide on what wheels to order.

I think that is a good service, since they said; we don't want to order something for you from Germany, wait 2 weeks and then find out they don't fit.
But I mentioned [B]Triple-D[/B] that we might need to get 10 to 15mm spacers. And he said, we don't fit them anymore because of they cause damage of some sort (I didn't catch what the issue was)

#24 ·
yes I am blue to this, and I am grateful for your help. I was just looking at those dampers and they are 200 USD each.... And that is nothing I have planned for, also I saw this full complete racing set for a Genesis at 1200 USD and that is what I will exceed if I buy those dampers.

#26 ·
Personally I think the Eibach springs and Bilstin B8 struts are a great choice, quality stuff and no adjustments to mess up for a good performing daily driver.
If you said you were going club racing or somthing I would suggest somthing with adjustments so you could corner balance the car but for a daily I think it's more of a hindrance than a help. Again just my humble opinion.
I'd hang on to the springs until you can get the struts or if you don't mind double labor install them and switch out the struts when you can.

#27 ·
Ok update, Front wheels are not fitting, they hit the coilover struts. But its just with a few mm. However that is when the car is in the air with the stock suspension fully extended.

With weigh on wheels, the wheels should fit and clear the coilover right? This would be correct if the front wheel suspension is in an angle, which I think they are, but are they; with weight on wheels?

Now, I agree this is not ideal, if say I get airtime in my car, the wheels would hit the struts or what its called. But if the goal is to do airtime with the car, I might as well destroy it in many other ways.

Finally if the front end suspension is angled with weigh on wheels, and I fit the lowering springs 20mm front and 10mm back. This should be enough even for the airtime situation.

Spacers is not a good option, since its bolts and that means we will loose threads and they were really against that.

I am going to go to the garage and have the springs fitted. I think I am right, I hope so, because there is no refund of the wheels :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.