Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3.8 400+whp... NBD
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAMS!!!!:mad2::mad2::mad2: when are we going to get cams? honestly I would rather see cams out before some sort of FI... but thats just me personally. Ive got a car for R&D if need be... but I would like to see some cams!

:end rant:

·
Spy
1,298 Posts
Non vendor link removed

I should ask em for a free set if they reach a certain number of sales after me posting here but seeing as you want em for the 3.8.....shoot em a few emails

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
My ideal setup is as follows:

11:1 compression pistons
cams
tune
headers
exhaust

Id be happy with that. All motor baby

·
3.8 400+whp... NBD
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All motor all day. Thats what I want to do and build something beastly all motor... but sofar no such luck

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
the pistons exist, they are pretty inexpensive.

The headers and exhaust exist

The tune can be worked out, as long as you are close to SFR or PA

just need those cams!!

·
3.8 400+whp... NBD
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats my only issue right now... cams. ive got everything but those lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think 007 acknowledged this is 3.8 thread by saying "I should ask em for a free set if they reach a certain number of sales after me posting here but seeing as you want em for the 3.8.....shoot em a few emails"

start asking for them..the 3.8 would be beast with cams for sure.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had e-mailed them a couple months back and they responded pretty quick to let me know they are not interested in making cams for the 3.8
Damn, that is so gay...how can someone make cams for the 2.0t and not think to invest in the 3.8? That just seems to be a stupid business move to me...i would almost think the 3.8 guys would want cams more(buy more) then the 2.0 guys.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Well, even if we do get cams, it would be great if we could get a vavletrain upgrade to go along with it.

I think what really holds the car back is the intake manifold.

·
3.8 400+whp... NBD
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
true the intake mni does hold it back some but cams are a key part of a good motor build... there is no point to add things to a car to give it more air if it cant take in all the air. no cams on a build is a dumb thing. I want to rework my whole head but nobody wants to put in the time. ive got the cash for parts... just not the means to make parts haha.

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
Damn, that is so gay...how can someone make cams for the 2.0t and not think to invest in the 3.8? That just seems to be a stupid business move to me...i would almost think the 3.8 guys would want cams more(buy more) then the 2.0 guys.
I found that a lot of vendors have had very little interest in the 3.8 compared to the 2.0. The 2.0 is expected to be a much larger demographic of tuners versus the 3.8

·
Registered
478 Posts
true the intake mni does hold it back some but cams are a key part of a good motor build... there is no point to add things to a car to give it more air if it cant take in all the air. no cams on a build is a dumb thing. I want to rework my whole head but nobody wants to put in the time. ive got the cash for parts... just not the means to make parts haha.

If you've actually got the money for the parts, why not have a custom set of cams ground for the 3.8? If you can't find anybody to get this done, then you are decidedly looking in all the wrong places. Same thing goes for the headwork.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I've mentioned them in other threads. But I'm told that RMR does, in fact, have cams for the 3.8. They just don't advertise them. I guess they are a special order thing. Call them up and get the skinny on it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I believe there is a site that grounds custom cams for any make or model, just tell them what you want and they'll do it for you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I called RMR and inquired about them. I was told they had a set from korea but haven't put them on a US street car yet. I then called about a month later inquiring about the same thing. They told me they would call me back tomorrow. That was November... I'm still waiting for the call.

·
3.8 400+whp... NBD
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe I will try to get ahold of them... but RMR has always had a bit high of a price tag. I have the cash yes however I dont believe in paying a stupid price for things. plus I would like someone to make cams and know they will function right not just go in head first with something somebody made on request

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If you are determined to go NA then optimizing the cam could offer you some benefit.

However, if you look at the bang for the buck you will likely find it's a poor return for your money. Just a guess but $750 for cams, for say 10-12 rwhp is a reasonable guess. For all we know the cam isn't the restriction at all, the heads could be the true restriction to making good power past 6500 RPM. Truly, I hope I'm wrong. I hope cams become cheap and offer a lot of hp gain for the 3.8.

Tex, are you waiting until a cam is available before you build yourself that new 4.2 stroker motor? What are you going to do for tuning? Will it require larger injectors as well? I'm eager to see your results as I'll compare the cost/ hp of the 4.2L vs. the cost/ hp of a turbo kit.

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If you are determined to go NA then optimizing the cam could offer you some benefit.

However, if you look at the bang for the buck you will likely find it's a poor return for your money. Just a guess but $750 for cams, for say 10-12 rwhp is a reasonable guess. For all we know the cam isn't the restriction at all, the heads could be the true restriction to making good power past 6500 RPM. Truly, I hope I'm wrong. I hope cams become cheap and offer a lot of hp gain for the 3.8.

Tex, are you waiting until a cam is available before you build yourself that new 4.2 stroker motor? What are you going to do for tuning? Will it require larger injectors as well? I'm eager to see your results as I'll compare the cost/ hp of the 4.2L vs. the cost/ hp of a turbo kit.
From what I've seen on dyno charts, those who have extended their rev limit past 6500 have seen good power up to roughly 7200.

·
Registered
478 Posts

SUNS- No I'm not waiting on cams. Cams would be nice, but right now they're not needed. I'm not looking for sky high power just yet. Plenty of other obsticles to hurdle before I worry about cams. I'm just putting extra cash in the bank for the project and it's cost overruns. Tuning is going to be PRO EFI since they have an excellent CAN BUS interface and it allows me to use the stock sensors, to a point anyhow. And of course it will require larger injectors. I'm going to get a set of 600cc injectors from DW to start with and then go from there. Overall not a cheap investment. On top of that I'm waiting for the wife to get back from the OBGYN and tell me yes or no if she's prego! F**K!

Sorry for thread jacking, back to the topic at hand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts