Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm looking to improve the exhaust, BUT keeping it as simple and cheap as possible. So any advice will be welcomed.

For what i've read here, installing a cat delete with housing for the o2 sensor will result in a CEL. And to avoid that, you need to get a reflash, which is something I will not do. This way is not simple nor cheap :D

Is there any other part that can be replaced/deleted that will result in a improvement of the exhaust gas velocity?

I have a lot of doubts regarding the real effect of high flow cat converters, any one had any experience with this approach?

I'm a little confused :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
If you want real improvements and no problems I recommend ARK Or CPe. I really don't think you will be pleased with just a half ass job of deleting the cats or spacing the exhaust! I have heard vids and it sounds like a poor ******** Chevy S10 exhaust with flowmasters!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Custom cat back with test pipe

/thread

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
Adding one or two little things wont yield any improvement. Your best bet is to get the whole exhaust replaced. Either a vendor one, or have an exhaust shop make you one. The exhaust shop one will usually be cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but a full exhaust is something I'll avoid for now.

The test pipe is the part between the cat converter and the catback?

btw, I'm planning on getting a CMD before doing anything to the exhaust...

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
You dont even know what you want... Lol when u do get back to us

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Thanks, but a full exhaust is something I'll avoid for now.

The test pipe is the part between the cat converter and the catback?

btw, I'm planning on getting a CMD before doing anything to the exhaust...
No a test pipe replaces the secondary cat. I'd get a CMD or do tuning after getting an exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, but I know what I want, just don't know how to get there... without causing a freaking CEL.

I figured that explaining that I'm going to install a CMD will result in more information.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Br stage 1 will NOT give you a cell plus give you enough power to wow people plus put a smile on your face even while you sleep

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Sorry, but I know what I want, just don't know how to get there... without causing a freaking CEL.

I figured that explaining that I'm going to install a CMD will result in more information.
Pretty much the only thing that'd throw a CEL is removing your primary catalytic convertor. The primary cat has an oxygen sensor before and after it so that's why. The secondary cat is just inline down the pipe a couple feet, but it doesn't have any O2 sensors hooked up to it.

Cat-back exhaust is replacing everything after the secondary cat. A turbo-back exhaust would be replacing everything including the primary cat. I believe most downpipes would remove the primary cat as well, but not sure about that.

If any of that's wrong, someone knowledgable feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ok this is weird..you either DO IT...or you leave your car completely bone stock. pretty simple. you want to see a whole whopping 10hp add an intake not chop up your exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Pretty much the only thing that'd throw a CEL is removing your primary catalytic convertor. The primary cat has an oxygen sensor before and after it so that's why. The secondary cat is just inline down the pipe a couple feet, but it doesn't have any O2 sensors hooked up to it.

Cat-back exhaust is replacing everything after the primary cat. A turbo-back exhaust would be replacing everything including the primary cat. I believe most downpipes would remove the primary cat as well, but not sure about that.

If any of that's wrong, someone knowledgable feel free to correct me.
Cat back is from the 2nd cat back (or it replaces the 2nd cat as well, depends on the brand).

here's the breakdown of our exhaust:

1 primary cat | 2 downpipe | 3 2nd cat | 4 mid pipe (for lack of a better term) | 5 axle back (muffler)

axle back just replaces part 5 , cat back is usually 3, 4 and 5, although some may leave the 2nd cat.

turbo back is usually 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 replaced, some come with an "o2 housing" which replaces primary cat, or the downpipe may replace our downpipe and the primary cat in one piece. some people will stall call it a turbo back if you leave the primary cat in, although technically its not from the turbo to the back of the exhaust then.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Cat back is from the 2nd cat back (or it replaces the 2nd cat as well, depends on the brand).

1 primary cat | 2 downpipe | 3 2nd cat | 4 mid pipe (for lack of a better term) | 5 axle back (muffler)

axle back just replaces part 5 , cat back is usually 3, 4 and 5, although some may leave the 2nd cat.

turbo back is usually 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 replaced, some come with an "o2 housing" which replaces primary cat, or the downpipe may replace our downpipe and the primary cat in one piece. some people will stall call it a turbo back if you leave the primary cat in, although technically its not from the turbo to the back of the exhaust then.
You left out one piece, theres a resonator in-between the second cat and the muffler.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

+1 good description

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
Makes no sense to replace the exhaust by itself. Not enough HP gain to warrant the expense. Get the CMD, and exhaust together, you will be much happier. Decide what your goals are for the car before touching it. Stick with a Cat-back and you will not get a CEL. if you do decide to go turbo back then CP-E and a couple of other options provide a high flow cat option. Anything else will result in a CEL. I for one am not searching for every single horse, so a catted down pipe is my choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts