Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a bunch of threads about this, for some it is their wastegate, others turbo, heatshield, etc. After months the issue has been pinpointed, just about ready to get it fixed so I thought I would share.

Turns out that a bolt / nut was missing from the factory on the turbo manifold (Incredible QA! :icon_rolleyes:). What I could hear was a partial exhaust leak / buzzing and a rattling at idle and low rpm which turned out to be the metal gasket flicking about. The gasket is on order and will be replaced. I've been told there is no chance anything could have got in there and damaged the turbo :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine had this same problem and they said it was normal operation. lmk if what they did fixed it

·
Registered
166 Posts
What about this tho..
wasnt this causing the problem?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the car back, still making a noise. They had found a second manifold gasket to the cylinder head leaking...

When I bring the car back in to have it re-torqued I'll get them to have another look...good chance it's the wastegate although it still sounds like there might be a combination of things happening ugg

·
2012 3.8 Track ZF-6-SPD
2,925 Posts
Go Hyundai.....smh

Sent from my apple 5.

·
2013 black 6 speed 2.0t
236 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah mine is definitely the wastegate loose like this. I can shake it and hear it like in the video. No easy fix except aftermarket turbo/manifold. But the springs I have installed make it not so bad.
Are you referring to the bov spring fix? I had seen a thread about someone using the spring to add tension to the waste gate actuator arm. I was looking into this and might give it a try. Where did you order your springs from?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you referring to the bov spring fix? I had seen a thread about someone using the spring to add tension to the waste gate actuator arm. I was looking into this and might give it a try. Where did you order your springs from?
Won't adjusting the rattle with a spring affect or even damage the turbo? I sent an email to Hyundai about the rattle and this is what they sent me.

**Thank you for writing to our offices. We apologize for the delay in our response to your query. We regret that you have a complaint with regards to your vehicle.
The concern that you write about is a normal characteristic of the Genesis Coupe Turbo that you own. Our Canadian TSB are not available to the public, so we would only presume that the TSB that you write about is for US. There are no adjustments for the wastegate. Any potential adjustments made would remove the power of the vehicle.
Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our offices.
Regards**

·
Always Sleepin...
528 Posts
Won't adjusting the rattle with a spring affect or even damage the turbo? I sent an email to Hyundai about the rattle and this is what they sent me.

**Thank you for writing to our offices. We apologize for the delay in our response to your query. We regret that you have a complaint with regards to your vehicle.
The concern that you write about is a normal characteristic of the Genesis Coupe Turbo that you own. Our Canadian TSB are not available to the public, so we would only presume that the TSB that you write about is for US. There are no adjustments for the wastegate. Any potential adjustments made would remove the power of the vehicle.
Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our offices.
Regards**
That message has been posted a few times. The big FU lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
that's good too know.. well i think my only way out might be to say FU to the warranty and buy a new turbo/mani...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering with mine if there is something more sinister at play...anyone else seen f-up'ed manifold / turbo gaskets. Seems super underpowered right now and the rattle seems like it's getting louder...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts