Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been fighting this clunking clicking at low speeds monstrosity for idk 2-3 months now. I've torn the car apart 3 times and couldn't find anything. But today just as I gave up on it by taking it to a shop to make an appointment I made a discovery. I hope.... Check the video, but I'm almost 100% certain this is inner tie rods.

If anyone could confirm it, that would be fantastic. I always thought the car followed the road pretty bad and would require countersteer to keep going straight but I thought that was just how the car was supposed to work. Now I think I may have just had shoddy steering this whole time.

PS. Sorry for the vertical video, its hard making videos by yourself.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,451 Posts
Woot that looks like a bad wheel bearing. Look how the inside of the wheel moves but the rotor shield doesn't

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought it was a maybe a bad wheel bearing but I don't notice any of the other signs of bad wheel bearing (I had replaced all of those on my previous car) such as grinding or howling noise. It also doesn't clunk like that when I push top to bottom on the wheel, just side to side. Take a look at the video again, the tie rod is definitely moving. Also should note that both front wheels do this.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,451 Posts
Well it's easy enough to pop the tire rod out of the knuckle. I always heard the inner tire rod is bad if it doesn't have any resistance to falling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok so here's the amount it resists falling...practically none.

I couldn't recreate the noise with it off, although there's not much resistance in side to side movement with the tie rod disconnected.

·
Registered
171 Posts
grab the rim go side to side. you should be able to identify inner tie rods easily. if not put it down on the ground and have someone inside yank the wheel left and right while you look under the car. it should also be making some loud clunking while thats happening (if the inner or outer rod is worn). with the resistance of the rubber on the ground it should load up the tie rods enough to allow you to find the bad part.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
grab the rim go side to side. you should be able to identify inner tie rods easily. if not put it down on the ground and have someone inside yank the wheel left and right while you look under the car. it should also be making some loud clunking while thats happening (if the inner or outer rod is worn). with the resistance of the rubber on the ground it should load up the tie rods enough to allow you to find the bad part.
Thanks, short on help but I did the first thing, check out the first video.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just the one tire was off the ground the other was firmly planted. Yeah the video is of the out tie rod end because that's what I suspected being broke. However if you compare the nut on the tie rod end to the edge of the screen you can see a significant amount of play and hear the clunking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So mechanic said tie rods seem fine, he said the the noise was it hitting the steering lock. Not Sure what to do at this point, I give up for now. Maybe I'll swap the OEM suspension on the front to see if it still makes the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hitting the steering lock?

I'm assuming by "steering lock" your mechanic was referring to the safety feature. Wouldn't that suggest you'd hear the noise when car was parked only? You mentioned you've heard this at low speeds for a while...not sure the steering lock would engage while travelling. If it is, then the spring loaded lever might be bum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I didn't make that clear. You are correct the noise I was recreating in the video above he said was the steering lock as I believe the wheel was locked at that point. But he's saying that the noise is unrelated to that. He mentioned it may be coil bind.

While I do have coil bind sometimes in the morning, that makes a different sound. This sounds like it's down low, I can feel it in the dead pedal. I can recreate it by shaking the car side to side by holding onto the strut bar sometimes, however I can't find anything loose.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay that makes sense then. Hopefully you can get it sorted out! If you've taken it apart a few times and it still is giving you grief, this might be a "thing that goes bump in the night" until, of course, you do a suspension swap. At that point it'd be a pretty rough day to find out it's a bad wheel bearing, but as you noted it probably isn't that. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha yeah you're right. I thought about just swapping out the front suspension back to oem just for a few days to see if that cures it. But I would look pretty ridiculous considering I'm dropped about flush in the rear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was making the noise? I have the stance coilover set from genracer on my 2013 and have the same issue. Low speed clunking, steering wheel not wanting to return to center around corners. I tossed all the stock struts/coils as they were shot...

--
Kris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you ever figure out what was making the noise? I have the stance coilover set from genracer on my 2013 and have the same issue. Low speed clunking, steering wheel not wanting to return to center around corners. I tossed all the stock struts/coils as they were shot...

--
Kris
Ok, I wasn't going to post anything until I was 100% sure. However I think it is excessive coil bind. I just got in some swift thrust sheets to install to see if that fixes it but I haven't installed them yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow if the weather is nice.

What I believe is happening is that the coil gets bound up from steering and then when going over bumps on the rebound it gets just relaxed enough for some of that bind to spring back in a sudden motion that is transfered to the cabin as a clunk or click.

So far I had adjusted my preload and that seems to have made it better.

I also have the stance thrust bearing top hats on my HSD'S since they're pretty much the same setup. I can't tell if they are working or not because I can still hear coil bind every now and again, but overall it is much better. If these thrust sheets don't work I may try the fortune auto bearing top hats, I don't know if they fit but I will make them work one way or another.

I've been chasing this noise for actually much longer than I thought. It's been since about November of last year and I'm really hoping that all it is is coil bind for yours and my sake....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I looked over all the suspension components with my car on a lift. I didn't find anything excessively worn or loose. I have sent an email off to stance regarding the noise to see if they have a solution.

--
Kris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't tell you how many times I pulled the front end of my car apart looking for something loose. I replaced endlinks, torqued everything, eventually took it to a shop that couldn't find anything and said the only thing they found is the springs would sometimes make noise but that was all they could find. Like I said it ended up being coil bind. I installed the swift thrust sheets and again it made it better, I can still hear slight binding when turning the wheel at slow speeds I no longer get the clunking/clicking of the spring trying to return to its unbound state. I would've never guessed coil bind could make such noise but I haven't had any real problems since.

Did you adjust preload on the coils when you got them? Is it worse some days and others not so much? Also could very much so be the top nut. Make sure that's tight. I had that come loose on me once and that sounds similar to bind but more pronounced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did not adjust the preload on the front coils. When I brought my car to put on some new tires yesterday, I found that the jam nut to the sway bar end link on the driver side had come loose. Tightening that back down made the noise go away.

--
Kris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts