Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If its been asked a million times already I'm sorry. I don't have much free time to search & wasn't able to find anything the few min I had to look today. I remember hearing there were a bunch of ppl running in to problems when using light weight pulleys. I also heard it was one of the best bang for your buck mods...well now I'm looking to do a few more things to my car and the pulleys were one of the things I'm thinking about. Please let me know the pros and cons of running them, or if I should just stay away from them all together. TIA

·
Wants to go back to Cali
1,365 Posts
I've been running my NST pulleys for about 6 months now and put on about 8k miles on them. Though I could only install the crank and water pump since the alternator seemed like a bitch to do. So far I have had no problems with them and I personally think it's a best bang for your buck mod. It does free up your rpms and I noticed a quicker acceleration. Though I did try to do my research on it before I bought them. It seems like it is a flop within the members. Either they say its good or bad. But hey, I haven't had a problem yet. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
908 Posts
The biggest concern with lightweight crank pulleys has to do with how the engine is balanced, whether internally balanced (Where just the crank, rods and pistons are balanced) or externally balanced (Where the weight of the flywheel/flexplate and harmonic balancer matter).

Take an externally balanced motor and play with the weight of the crank pulley or flywheel, and you have serious engine longevity issues.

I can't find any info whether this engine is internally or externally balanced. However, people seem to have no issues with lightweight flywheels. Take it at that.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
On the 2.0T, don't.
On the 3.8 (to which this topic belongs), I've yet to see a 3.8 die from a pulley yet. If you can run a supercharger off the engine (which two people have done) then I'd say a lightweight pulley won't be an issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did have one on my car I was very satisfied about it , rpm was lighter and I did feel my acceleration quicker.

If you are interested I sell my car and I still have the pulley from RRM, it for sale
90$+shipping PM me !

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Running all three NST pulleys 1 1/2 + years with no issues.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thinking about doing this when its time to do the belts. Might as well do the pulleys while I'm at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, there has been a lot written on light-weight pulleys in this forum and many other car forums. My opinion is based strictly on what I have read. I had intended to buy a set of pulleys but after reading about the pros and cons, I decided to skip them. From what I understand, the crank pulley on some cars provides external balancing for the crank. The 3.8 uses internal balancing, so this is not an issue. However, some pulleys are made in two pieces with a rubber insert between the inner and outer "ring". Apparently, this helps to keep vibration from the belt, water pump and alternator from getting back into the engine. I have no idea how effective this pulley design is, or if it is required, but my 2011 3.8 uses this 3-piece design. I would think that a 3-piece crank pulley would be more expensive than a 1-piece, so apparently Hyundai engineers see some value in using the 3-piece design which outweighs the extra cost. The after-market designs are almost always 1-piece with no rubber (but of coarse are much lighter). According to some enthusiasts, the light-weight pulleys, and particularly the ones replacing the 3-piece ones with rubber, can cause internal damage to the engine over time (like after years of use). So knowing car owners who have had no problems with their after-market pulley sets after a year or two is no assurance that their engines are not suffering or won't be damaged over time. For me, it just did not seem to be worth the risk.

·
407 Posts
I like my pulleys but would probably not purchase them in hindsight (money could have provided me a better bang for the buck imo). I always thought the rubber insert is more for NVH and I def notice more NVH with the lighweight pulleys (probably more for noise than anything). I didn't find much info on issues from pulleys on internally balanced engines (maybe more time is needed to discover them), but I only searched for an hour or so.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input guys! Think I'll be ordering them soon!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The crank pulley alone is where all the improvement comes from. It's a noticable difference. There is slightly more NVH but the car zings up faster, throttle blips work better, and for me me shifting became better as rpm drop was more controlled.

29K miles with an OBX installed, one track day, absolutely no problems.

On the V6, this mod is a winner!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More NVH?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

It's the reason that auto manufacturers place all sort of dampening devices on the moving components of the car even though they reduce performance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, gotcha. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Don't get pulleys, nuff said.

·
Wants to go back to Cali
1,365 Posts