Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, if so Please move to the right section but i did search and did not find any topic on this. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever tried doing this Install, pretty much installing LED Panels or something like that on the hood so when you pop up the hood it lights up the Engine bay in case you need to work on it at night or for emergency. here is the video I found on youtube but have no Idea how to start

if anyone knows how to do this or any DIYs Help I would really appreciate it.

thanks guys

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Looks simple enough, I think they tapped the hood switch and used a relay for it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
looks simple to do....would just need a light running off a fused positive link then say have the negative hooked up to the hood pin switch so its only on when the hood is opened...when i get a few min i will draw you up a simple circuit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks simple to do....would just need a light running off a fused positive link then say have the negative hooked up to the hood pin switch so its only on when the hood is opened...when i get a few min i will draw you up a simple circuit.
Awesome thank you I really appreciate it, I have bought the LED panel and 18 Gauge wires but Have no Idea how to start it. IF its possible would you mind showing me where the Hood pin switch is also. thank you

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
That actually looks really functional, for if you gotta work at night or something, i always find myself fighting with a flash light to light up exactly where i need lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sir. I have bought LED Panels 48SMD 5050 2 of them and they are SUPER Bright like prob going to look like DAY Light and my wires and I even bought a switch just need to know where to tap it into or how to do it. hopefully someone that knows gets back to me :)

·
zach
586 Posts
You can do the relay or you can just run it on a fused switch in the engine bay I say the switch because If you hook it to the hood pin It will always come on night or day so If you do the switch it will only come on when you want it to

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have posted this in the DIY section I guess to see if anyone has actually done it and how they did it. I want it to look professional and all have no idea where to run the cables and all I guess I will wait lol :(

·
zach
586 Posts
I don't know if anyone has done it but hiding the wires in the hood would be a challenge I don't know off the top of my head if there are channels in the hood to keep the wires or not an if there are some it would be a challenge but hiding the wiring in the engine bay would not be hard at all best thing to do is see if there are channels in the hood to hide the wires and if there are not any just run the wire in a shroud

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the help I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can do this lol looks pretty hard to do a clean job as the hood is not the greatest to work with lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've done this. Two 48SMD 5050 in the middle of the hood. Looks like daytime. I also ran the wires through the hood. The wires are in a 1/4" split loom. I have the positive coming from the stud in the underhood fuse relay box. I have a 5A fuse on it and the negative is trigerred by the hood open switch. I use GM weatherpack connectors and fuse holder.

So when the hood is closed, lights are off and when it's open, lights are on.

Rgds,
Jms

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
If you want a nice and bright LED panel.. Diode Dynamics Stage 3 trunk light would work perfect

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you want a nice and bright LED panel.. Diode Dynamics Stage 3 trunk light would work perfect
Not better than what I used!!! I had the DD Stage 3 in my trunk and I replaced it with one of the 48SMD 5050's. Much brighter.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Awesome thank you I really appreciate it, I have bought the LED panel and 18 Gauge wires but Have no Idea how to start it. IF its possible would you mind showing me where the Hood pin switch is also. thank you
Sorry for the late reply seems lots of interest in the idea.

Pin 87 would go the Positive connection on the lights you want to hook up. Connect the ground from the lights somewhere to the frame.

Pins 86 and 30 are joined together and get +12v from somewhere. I suggest using a fuse tap with fuse connected in the fuse box.

Pin 85 is connected to the hood pin trigger. This wire is yellow and is located by the drivers kick panel.

Hope this helps

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
Personally, I'd throw an RGB strip in there, hook it up to a controller, and call it a day. $35, simple wiring. No need to figure out the wiring to activate with hood popped... this is exactly what is shown in the original video in the OP.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry for the late reply seems lots of interest in the idea.

Pin 87 would go the Positive connection on the lights you want to hook up. Connect the ground from the lights somewhere to the frame.

Pins 86 and 30 are joined together and get +12v from somewhere. I suggest using a fuse tap with fuse connected in the fuse box.

Pin 85 is connected to the hood pin trigger. This wire is yellow and is located by the drivers kick panel.

Hope this helps

Excuse me for asking: why complicate a simple circuit by using a needless relay in it?

All that's needed are two wires and a fuse holder.

Please do not take this the wrong way. Just trying to help in keeping this as simple as possible.

Rgds,
Jms

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Excuse me for asking: why complicate a simple circuit by using a needless relay in it?

All that's needed are two wires and a fuse holder.

Please do not take this the wrong way. Just trying to help in keeping this as simple as possible.

Rgds,
Jms
How would the light turn on and off?

·
zach
586 Posts
Like I said use a switch not a relay that way if you ever go to a car show and pop you're hood it's not alway on run it on a switch that way it's on demand

·
Registered
214 Posts
How would the light turn on and off?
By using the hood open switch (ground), which is closed when hood is open and open when hood is closed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts