Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a question and i apologize in advance if this has already been answered.

How come hyundai didn't create optimal flow on their intake manifolds in the first place on the 10-12s and why didn't they fix it when they switched to plastic manifolds with the 13s?

There must be some reason..cost savings? Improved mpg with stock tuned cars and stock pieces? Engine longevity? Bad engineering?

There has to be SOME reason that hyundai did this or maybe it just goes into the same bucket of the continuously bad manual transmissions that that they produce each year.

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The manifold is perfectly suited to OE specifications and outputs.

2013 plastic manifolds apparently do flow slightly better than the 2010 aluminium ones, but they're still not as good as a GS PnP or a MAP PnP. 3.8's apparently got even better flow with the GDI intake apparently so Hyundai is slowly working on improving it. Why they didn't just use the same intake manifold as the Sedan for that engine is beyond me, it's variable, lighter and more cost effective. Why give aluminium to the NA but plastic to the FI? Stupid really.

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
What's the weight difference between the aluminum and plastic manifolds?
For 2.0T; 7.7lbs vs. 3 or 4 lbs (can't remember)
For 3.8; no f*cking clue.

So the intake on the gen sedan is better? Can we install it on the coupé.
When configured, it has the possibility to be. You can but you can't control the VIS (variable intake system) since the ECU isn't setup for it.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
When configured, it has the possibility to be. You can but you can't control the VIS (variable intake system) since the ECU isn't setup for it.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have HALTEEECCCHHHHH

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
3.8's apparently got even better flow with the GDI intake apparently so Hyundai is slowly working on improving it. Why they didn't just use the same intake manifold as the Sedan for that engine is beyond me, it's variable, lighter and more cost effective. Why give aluminium to the NA but plastic to the FI? Stupid really.

wait, so we can use the intake manifold from the 3.8 genesis sedan? and its different? i thought it was the exact same engine?

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
wait, so we can use the intake manifold from the 3.8 genesis sedan? and its different? i thought it was the exact same engine?
Yes. Yes. Very similar but there are differences. The sedan wasn't "sport" tuned according to Hyundai vs. the coupe which apparently is and why it's V6 has always been rated higher than the sedan counterpart.

Any info on helmholtz resonance and it's relationship to runner length and "surge tank" volume?
That's getting beyond the meat and potatoes of intake manifolds and getting into specific sciences that go into high end manifolds for VE maximization.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
so would there be any benefit to be had by getting an intake manifold from the sedan and installing it on the coupe?

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
lighter, highly unlikely to heat soak.. a few but likely you'd want to tune for it.

Should note, it's never been flow benched, which should be done before someone starts pushing more and more to go that route.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
lighter, highly unlikely to heat soak.. a few but likely you'd want to tune for it.

Should note, it's never been flow benched, which should be done before someone starts pushing more and more to go that route.
i may have to look into that in the future, figure out if im better off with that route or the GP flow balance

·
Genny
58 Posts
So i have been looking into getting my intake manifold port and polished and Maperformance doesnt do it anymore so i called up some places (Performance Porting, Jdm Concepts, and Carolina Dyno) and they said that they can offer this service in a rev 3 style where they will cut it open. Is there any reason that I shouldnt go through with these companies because its been bothering me that it was so easy for me to find 3 places in 10 min but nobody had utilized them

·
Takin it easy..
149 Posts
So i have been looking into getting my intake manifold port and polished and Maperformance doesnt do it anymore so i called up some places (Performance Porting, Jdm Concepts, and Carolina Dyno) and they said that they can offer this service in a rev 3 style where they will cut it open. Is there any reason that I shouldnt go through with these companies because its been bothering me that it was so easy for me to find 3 places in 10 min but nobody had utilized them
Was seriously about to make another thread for this question, but seen this manifold thread, so I decided to take a peek. I swear, a few months ago there was 1 or 2 shops that did the PnP. Now I cant find a single one..

·
Genny
58 Posts
Was seriously about to make another thread for this question, but seen this manifold thread, so I decided to take a peek. I swear, a few months ago there was 1 or 2 shops that did the PnP. Now I cant find a single one..
well as you can see in my previous post there are a couple of companies that are still willing to do this service i just wonder how reputable they are

101 - 120 of 134 Posts