Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So i have been looking into getting my intake manifold port and polished and Maperformance doesnt do it anymore so i called up some places (Performance Porting, Jdm Concepts, and Carolina Dyno) and they said that they can offer this service in a rev 3 style where they will cut it open. Is there any reason that I shouldnt go through with these companies because its been bothering me that it was so easy for me to find 3 places in 10 min but nobody had utilized them
I'd like to know about this too, been looking for a pnp solution for 3.8s...

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
A throttle body spacer is only good if you need extra vacuum ports. otherwise does nothing. I suppose it does allow you to still keep the TB hot with the attached coolant hose without transferring that heat to the intake manifold.

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
^ would only apply if the throttle body spacer is phenolic, which no one has made yet, so aluminium + aluminium + aluminium = still transferring heat.

As Red said though, it's useless on FI engines except to add ports. Good for nitrous and meth injection where you want it after the valve flap but not at each port.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Snoopy,

I really appreciate both your build threads and you explanations of the parts that you use and how you use them. I do have a question about bout the "Port & Polished" intake manifold from Grimmspeed. I have the opportunity to acquire an unused manifold from a friend, however after speaking with another buddy I'm now confused at to whether it's worth it.

It was brought to my attention that even though the stock manifold is not properly balanced, that the stock tuning and timing allocates for that imbalance (well partially anyway). I guess my question is, will the stock tuning run a greater risk on the balanced intake manifold, by leaning out cylinders 2 and 3 because they are now allowing more air into the system?

Am I looking at this all wrong?

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The OE ECU doesn't have the ability to adjust fueling or ignition per cylinder to compensate for air flow. To do it accurately and properly, each cylinder would have a knock sensor and or an EGT probe like some diesels do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Snoopy, thanks for that info. So I guess a follow on question would be, is it worth the risk to acquire the intake manifold from my friend if I don't have the knock sensors or EGT probes? Do I run any risks at the moment by installing it into my engine with a spacer and no current turbo upgrades?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Hey Snoopy, thanks for that info. So I guess a follow on question would be, is it worth the risk to acquire the intake manifold from my friend if I don't have the knock sensors or EGT probes? Do I run any risks at the moment by installing it into my engine with a spacer and no current turbo upgrades?
There is no risk.

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Wow! I learned something today!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey Snoopy,

I really appreciate both your build threads and you explanations of the parts that you use and how you use them. I do have a question about bout the "Port & Polished" intake manifold from Grimmspeed. I have the opportunity to acquire an unused manifold from a friend, however after speaking with another buddy I'm now confused at to whether it's worth it.

It was brought to my attention that even though the stock manifold is not properly balanced, that the stock tuning and timing allocates for that imbalance (well partially anyway). I guess my question is, will the stock tuning run a greater risk on the balanced intake manifold, by leaning out cylinders 2 and 3 because they are now allowing more air into the system?

Am I looking at this all wrong?
Grimmspeed does not longer offer services for GenCoupe as i remember. In case yours is not already done. The other choice now is MAPerformance, which seem like more deep upgrade, but more expensive. In fact they cut manifolds open to port/polish better.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ooops, as stated on the top of this page, MAPerformance seem to also no longer offer this service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I heard that PnP the intake manifold and the throttle body improves the flow of air inside the intake manifold which improves the performance in the car. but why did my performance drop after doing it :(!!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It can make flow more even between runners, if done properly. If not, it can make things only worse.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
what i noticed after installing grimmspeed PnPed manifold is more stable AFR (after adjusting fuel tables to compensate flow changes, since this manifold leaned out AFR a bit).
Butt dyno also senses improvements, acceleration feels smoother during WOT. Even my gf noticed, i always ask her opinion after performance mod without telling her what should have changed, nice reference lol

121 - 134 of 134 Posts