Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to convert the plain blue LEDs in the gauge cluster to RGB LEDs. The end ideal is to have seamless integration with the car. It is a pretty big task just to change the LED and it would be alot of effort for just one color. I have a black car with a black interior so every color will pretty much match. I have already started to disassemble a gauge cluster I got from ebay and the RGB SMD LEDs, RGB controller and RGB wire are on order. The current plan is to remove the old LEDs and replaces them with resistors so the circuit is the same, and then overlay the RGB LED circuit over the circuit board and tap in the V+ and V- from wires that provide illumination to the cluster. I believe it is pin 16 and 18. I need to double check the online service manual. The big thing that will hold be back initial is the fact my car is in TX and I am away at school in Vermont. Because I need to know the max and input voltage to the cluster from the car. So what do yall think of this? I post of the pictures I have taken so far up soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gauge cluster

This is the back trying to show the clips needed to take it apart

The front bezel is removed.

The two silver clips are used to remove the back bezel

I had no instructions to disassemble this so I thought I needed to remove them. Turns out you dont but I thought I should show my screws up too.

The next thing to do is pop off the hands on the front just slide a knife under the edge and pull. This is the hand removed those two little white dots should be cover by those black dots. This is what happened is you dont pull gently. But a dot of super glue should fix it. It is also A lows the hands to be painted a different color.

This is the hands fully disassembled or broken. Depends on your point of view...

finally this is what i was after. The little white things are the SMD LEDs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
diode dynamics have great hid if you aare looking for a kit they have it perfectly set up for hid. i bought trunk and map led from them

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
Thanks for the shoutout, but this WAY different than an HID kit! Where are you going to get RGB SMDs that will fit the size profile/light dispersion of the 1210 size SMDs? I'm guessing you are going to remove the SMDs and overlay your own PCB somehow?

Very curious about this, can't wait to see more pics!

Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got 5050 SMDs They are big but I hope i can then use less. and not im going to over lay a PCB. I plan to wire the overlaying circuit up and then just use some super glue to hold it in place on the current board.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If it helps any, I have been successful in finding one company that does make an overlay for the Genesis Coupe cluster in Korea.

Not only is it an LED overlay (moreless all that you would need for your project), it also changes to gauge faces, etc. I haven't had any success in being able to get one, but maybe it's something DD could pick up as a project ;)

To note, the gauge faces are KM/H obviously. Just thought it may help with ideas for your project.

GenCoupe Gauge overlay

mods: I don't mean to link to a non-vendor, just wanted to show a possible solution to the OP. This site doesn't ship to North America, anyways :) If the link is bad, feel free to remove.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Dreadie. I would not buy it even if I could I like the DIY aspect. But now new gauge faces would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Do you know what the actual leds are? I am going to be doing this and slowly swapping over all of the blue lights to red. Even on the darkest settings they are way too bright at night. Its a fairly simple and easy project, just very time consuming.

These are square but from the pictures it looks like the ones in the cluster are rectangular.

I cannot pull my cluster out since it is my DD until I am ready to do this.

Once I know which actual LEDs to order it shouldn't be hard at all to swap them over. The radio and blue screen are really the only parts I am concerned about.

Red 5050 SMD LED | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

Thanks for the info Dreadie. I would not buy it even if I could I like the DIY aspect. But now new gauge faces would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can convert the blue screens to red by just replacing the LEDs. The 5050 leds you have linked to are to big. you should go look at the the link the guy post in the thread about a red hud conversion. and I would highly recommend not doing this on your incar cluster unless your really good with a sorderign iron.

·
Registered
793 Posts
you can convert the blue screens to red by just replacing the LEDs. The 5050 leds you have linked to are to big. you should go look at the the link the guy post in the thread about a red hud conversion. and I would highly recommend not doing this on your incar cluster unless your really good with a sorderign iron.
I saw his thread after I posted this. I will probably use a hot air rework station to do the leds in the cluster.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am attempting to convert the plain blue LEDs in the gauge cluster to RGB LEDs. The end ideal is to have seamless integration with the car. It is a pretty big task just to change the LED and it would be alot of effort for just one color. I have a black car with a black interior so every color will pretty much match. I have already started to disassemble a gauge cluster I got from ebay and the RGB SMD LEDs, RGB controller and RGB wire are on order. The current plan is to remove the old LEDs and replaces them with resistors so the circuit is the same, and then overlay the RGB LED circuit over the circuit board and tap in the V+ and V- from wires that provide illumination to the cluster. I believe it is pin 16 and 18. I need to double check the online service manual. The big thing that will hold be back initial is the fact my car is in TX and I am away at school in Vermont. Because I need to know the max and input voltage to the cluster from the car. So what do yall think of this? I post of the pictures I have taken so far up soon.

cm92,

Take a look at the Scion tC forums. Garage1217 used to do swaps like these as well as many others. They also sold the correct size Leds for the DIY.

The only change I'd make would be to have the heater control transition from blue to orange to red.

Please keep this post updated as you go along.

Good luck,
Jms

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gauge cluster

This is the back trying to show the clips needed to take it apart

The front bezel is removed.

The two silver clips are used to remove the back bezel

I had no instructions to disassemble this so I thought I needed to remove them. Turns out you dont but I thought I should show my screws up too.

The next thing to do is pop off the hands on the front just slide a knife under the edge and pull. This is the hand removed those two little white dots should be cover by those black dots. This is what happened is you dont pull gently. But a dot of super glue should fix it. It is also A lows the hands to be painted a different color.

This is the hands fully disassembled or broken. Depends on your point of view...

finally this is what i was after. The little white things are the SMD LEDs.
How can i see those picture please? Does anyones had screenshoot them plz?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts