Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install my ipod at car dash and Hyundai ipod cable is not long enough. I need ipod cable extension.

Someone know what type of ipod extension cable is compatible Hyundai cable?

·
:B
856 Posts
i'm looking for the same!

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
I don't get why you would need your iPOD on the dash anyways (someone enlighten me lol).

You can't even control it once it's plugged into the car????

That's what the radio or steering wheel controls are for... I might be missing something though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes you can control it from the steering wheel. But the Hyundai iPod cable is very short, which means it has to stay in your center console, unless of course you get a longer cable.

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
Well that's the point of the short cable, so it can stay hidden and you wont have wires everywhere.....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought one set and so far it's doing a good job, as long as you don't keep shoveling the cable around.
Amazon.com: Black Extension Cable 4ft Long 30-pin Male to Female Dock Extender for iPod and iPhone.: Electronics
from amazon

Also bought a floor mount goose neck from arkon which is great also to go with this if you have iphone or similar ones.
Thanks for info.

I don't get why you would need your iPOD on the dash anyways (someone enlighten me lol).

You can't even control it once it's plugged into the car????

That's what the radio or steering wheel controls are for... I might be missing something though.
I want to bolt iPOD at the dash because I will get these goodies :D
- Kiwi Wifi + iMFD PLX Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.
- DashCommand for ipod PLX Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
^

Ahhhh!!! Definitely explains it :) I'm glad I don't have to worry about it, I don't have the privilege of an iPhone :(

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
The cable is an ipod attachment to USB/headphone correct?

Couldn't you simply get a USB extension cord, and a headphone extension cord? You could probably get both cables for like $5 on monoprice.com

The ipod attachment extension would work to, if you can find it long enough.

To have the wire go from the center console to the dash, and if you want to hide the cable, depending on your route, would take about 4-8 feet.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^

Ahhhh!!! Definitely explains it :) I'm glad I don't have to worry about it, I don't have the privilege of an iPhone :(
You can always get USE one and it is not to expensive.

I have all of them ipod, iphone and ipad. I guest iPOD is best choice for this app. I am working for custom solution to get clean install but it seen not to be easy to find out spot on the dash.

I have Unavi but their Virtual gauge is going nowhere after one year waiting. So I decide to go for another road.

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
Yeah the dash is very inconvenient on this car I find..

Unless you jam the iPOD or phone off the the left of the dash by the pillar... you still have the issues of wires everywhere though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why not do a car pc and run the windows version of dash command?
I had Unavi installed already. Unavi is basically a car PC with GPS. The audio ouput sound quality of Unavi connect to AUX analog jack sound very bad.

So, I pick iPOD over electronic POD gauge due this setup will have two functions, run as a GAUGE and music center.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you connect a device (iPhone and BlackBerry) using the USB cable, it will not read correctly nor will it charge. Only USB based hard drives/flash drives are compatible with this car.

I am gonna do an LCD relocate but insert a Samsung Galaxy Tab on top. I was playing with it the other day and its great. Love Google maps, it gives a Birds Eye View (unlike the iPad) that turns as you do. It even works with a bluetooth mouse! I will also eventually do a BT OBD, its just looks better than real gauges.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Has anyone attempted to relocate the factory position of the G-Coupe's iPod "port" from the center console to say somewhere under the dash (for those who want the iPod visible & at the dash)? I mean, instead of running some long cable, why not relocate the actual port from the console?

I don't know why Hyundai decided to mount the port inside of the center console, instead of say at the bottom of the dash like they do on their Tucson (it's right next to the powerpoint on those vehicles and makes more sense).

·
Registered
169 Posts
iPod connections for cars are specifically made for plug and forget. You plug it in, you control everything from the steering wheel, and don't have to see it.... Mercedes does the same thing, they put it in the glove box. I like it in the console, easy to access. But I am sure you can relocate it anywhere you'd like. But probably be the same (or more) amount of work than just getting a extension cable....

·
on german Autobahn
429 Posts
Has anyone attempted to relocate the factory position of the G-Coupe's iPod "port" from the center console to say somewhere under the dash (for those who want the iPod visible & at the dash)? I mean, instead of running some long cable, why not relocate the actual port from the console?

I don't know why Hyundai decided to mount the port inside of the center console, instead of say at the bottom of the dash like they do on their Tucson (it's right next to the powerpoint on those vehicles and makes more sense).
I'm planning to do this exactly.
I have a iPhone 4 with bumper but found a nice mount for the dashboard.
Since i'm still waiting for my gen to arrive I cannot look for the wires under the center.
Anyway i want to keep the connection port in the center just to keep it clean there. I want to wire the hyundai cable from the connection (in the box) under the center console and extend it til i reach the left of the dash.
There are many extenders out and this shouldnt be a problem but:
1. Find an extender that fits the bumper...
2. Will it still work after 3 extensions with 80 cm ~30 inch?!
3. wire the hyundai cable from the inside of the box to the inside of the centerconsole without drilling it up to much...

btw i'm using my iPhone as navi... so thats my reason :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone have a clean solution for this? I want to get the cable to the left A pillar.

·
on german Autobahn
429 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts