Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I install a mishimoto oil cooler kit on '16 BK2 3.8 v6. Upon first start, there is a loud whining sound which keeps cadence with rpms. I replaced the power steering pump with a new one and the noise persists. I've checked the idler pulleys and they don't seem worn or sticky. Let me know any ideas on the cause.

Secondly, I noticed the outside temperature reading now soars to 138 degrees F on highway. Can someone tell me where the outside air temp sensor is located?. Maybe it's near the oil cooler which it in front of the radiator.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,251 Posts
The air sensor(s) is mounted on the center cross brace in front of the condenser.

Maybe the oil cooler is draining down after engine is shut off? Does it take any longer for the oil light to go out when you first start?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Maybe I need to relocate the sensor. Re: the oil cooler, I've noticed no change in oil light behavior and oil temp is lower (which is why I went to trouble to install it.)
May the howling noise is air in the PW steering lines? I'm using the bleeding method of turning the front wheels lock to lock several times with reservoir cap off and engine running. Does any one know a better way to bleed steering system?

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,251 Posts
I've drained and fill the PS system quite a few times and only did just that. Never had any noise or bleeding issues.

Maybe one of the hard lines is damaged. They are soft aluminum.

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts
Thanks. Maybe I need to relocate the sensor. Re: the oil cooler, I've noticed no change in oil light behavior and oil temp is lower (which is why I went to trouble to install it.)
May the howling noise is air in the PW steering lines? I'm using the bleeding method of turning the front wheels lock to lock several times with reservoir cap off and engine running. Does any one know a better way to bleed steering system?
What power steering fluid did you use?

Had this happen on a acura I was working on....... reason why I asked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was no whining before. The only reason the PS system was affected by the oil cooler is the PS return tube on BK2 interferes with the oil cooler lines. There's too little clearance between the tube and the cooler lines as they pass over the subframe.I had to re-route the PS return tube which meant having to bleed the PS system. That's when the humming started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. My problem is I can't start the engine without the sandwich plate because the filter won't fit without it.
My next effort is to vacuum bleed the PS system to see if that doesn't stop the whining noise.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
How did you mount the cooler? Mishimoto doesn't actually make one for BK2. The one I bought was advertised to work for either BK1 or BK2 with some mods. I could never figure out a way to mount properly and ended up selling. (Even though now, I may know a way it could work.)

Did you add the extra quart of oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you mount the cooler? Mishimoto doesn't actually make one for BK2. The one I bought was advertised to work for either BK1 or BK2 with some mods. I could never figure out a way to mount properly and ended up selling. (Even though now, I may know a way it could work.)

Did you add the extra quart of oil?

More oil needed, yes, though not quite 1 qt.. The cooler is mounted behind the steel center cross-member which backs up the front bumper. That was the easier part. What caused the most work was re-routing the PS return line to keep it from hitting the sandwich plate and AN fittings. I spend hours rebending the return line which is soft aluminum tubing. I've bought and installed not one but two new ps pumps, vacuum bled them and the whine persists. It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s your oil cooler whining not your power steering. I have a 08 Jeep jku. It runs hot on the highway but not overheating so I bought a mishimoto direct fit oil cooler. Great quality and it keeps my Jeep cool. 1st start of the day and I heard the whining and then went away due to oil flow I thought. I called mishimoto multiple times to make sure I installed correctly, which it was but I didn’t trust it so I removed it and the noise was gone. Time passed and I reinstalled it and thought I could deal with the noise because it works great. I reinstalled it and the whine was still there. The whining became more constant and became louder. (not like a bad belt but I could hear it)Sounds like a bad power steering pump. I took it off and the sounds gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s your oil cooler whining not your power steering. I have a 08 Jeep jku. It runs hot on the highway but not overheating so I bought a mishimoto direct fit oil cooler. Great quality and it keeps my Jeep cool. 1st start of the day and I heard the whining and then went away due to oil flow I thought. I called mishimoto multiple times to make sure I installed correctly, which it was but I didn’t trust it so I removed it and the noise was gone. Time passed and I reinstalled it and thought I could deal with the noise because it works great. I reinstalled it and the whine was still there. The whining became more constant and became louder. (not like a bad belt but I could hear it)Sounds like a bad power steering pump. I took it off and the sounds gone.

I think you're right, JeepersPete. I've tested engine with and without the serpentine belt and the whine persists. This proves the whine is not coming from the PS, AC or water pump. That means it's something else, probably the cooler itself.
I wonder if there's a way to insulate the oil cooler mount with rubber grommets or something else like that? This is gonna be my next line of investigation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts