Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m new to here and I been wondering If the genesis is a reliable car. I’m 18 and I see like 2012 genesis near me and I really do like them but what worry me if there reliable and if they last long so I hoping you guys could help me out. And I want any issue with them to
Btw I’m not modding it at all

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Short answer, yes they are very reliable.
In my opinion, Hyundai/KIA in general and specificaly the Genesis coupe are at least, if not more reliable than the compitition. Since your looking to buy used get it checked over by a qualified mechanic before purchacing, theres always the chance of getting a example thats been neglected or abused, not the manufactures fault. Some of the manual transmission models can develop shifting problems, syncros causing noisy gear changes in the upper gears, check for water intrusion due to leaky tail light housing seals, easily fixable. Otherwise just check the normal stuff you would when buying any used vehicle and go for the newest and lowest mileage you can find. They are a good quality, fun to drive, affordable sports car. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short answer, yes they are very reliable.
In my opinion, Hyundai/KIA in general and specificaly the Genesis coupe are at least, if not more reliable than the compitition. Since your looking to buy used get it checked over by a qualified mechanic before purchacing, theres always the chance of getting a example thats been neglected or abused, not the manufactures fault. Some of the manual transmission models can develop shifting problems, syncros causing noisy gear changes in the upper gears, check for water intrusion due to leaky tail light housing seals, easily fixable. Otherwise just check the normal stuff you would when buying any used vehicle and go for the newest and lowest mileage you can find. They are a good quality, fun to drive, affordable sports car. Happy hunting.
Thx I’m gonna see if I could find some in a dealership

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
775 Posts
Reliable? Yes. The warranty is excellent . I bought my 2012 3.8 Track new in November 2011. I just passed 115,400 miles this last week. I did have some issues, but warranty took care of nearly all of it. I had to pay for two new track arms for the front at about 105,000 that were out of warranty, however. Runs like new, looks like new, and I'm trying for 200,000 miles plus!

·
Advenio Pariter
3,867 Posts
I have the turbo and the 5 speed auto. Over 130k miles driven year-around...until this pandemic nonsense hit. I just detailed her and you would be hard-pressed to to see anything better looking coming right off the lot. I am detailing my wife's Elantra GT today. The flex section of my exhaust pipe gave out, same thing on my Stealth at the same mileage, and I just replaced the front pipe. This car is easy to work on. I also take pretty good care of her. For example, the "sealed for life" transmission has had three fluid changes and the addition of an external filter. This car has been about the most reliable and trouble-free car that I have ever owned. It's competition is our 2007 Honda Element with about 175k miles on it. Just had a new starter put in the Element. I am toying with adding a Veloster N or turbo Ultimate to my stable. Maybe this Fall depending on the state of the economy. Not much on the lots around here.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I test drove both Velosters, the N and the ultimate with the dual clutch automatic and heads up display, as nice as the N was i preferred the ultimate, wouldn't be disappointed with either one though. I would really be the wife's car anyway. 😁

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you buy now, buy one 2015 or 2016 only and get warranty. Parts are expensive and trust you will use it even if the power train does last. Can get the H warranty within a 5 year used car which turns it into almost like buying brand new, 100,000 /5 years bumper to bumper starting at when you take ownership.

Be warned, Service centers are horrible and you need to stay on them. Mine has been in over a half dozen times since November of last year. But dont give up there is lots of documentation on the issues that can happen.

Make sure you inspect the car with another trusted mechanic, do not trust what these sales guys tell you about the step above warranty they provide. If car has any mods ensure paperwork is done. Make sure carfax is clean and even better look for service records.

Dont rush into one and i would do the above and look for one sold strictly at a hyundai dealer. All i can say from experience is this and be 10x more careful if your buying private.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts