Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3.8 Track auto for a month already and the car is fantastic except for the following minor things which bug me:

- When idle (in Neutral) the car would slightly vibrate/shake similarly to a diesel vehicle

- the (a/c) air fan behind the glove compartment is audible when operating - makes this whirl sound

At the first oil change the dealer said all that's normal but need your opinion here please!

·
209hp/280lbs tq :)
3,280 Posts
the blower? behind the glove compartment? umh never herd a abnormal noise from mine.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
For problem number 1, what grade of gas do you use? How many miles do you have?

For number 2, anyway you can record a video and post to get a better idea of the sound for comparison purposes?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i've got a 3.8 as well and experience none of those things. I know what you mean with number one b/c my '03 camry used to do that, esp @ 150k miles. And for number 2 what do you mean by whirling? I hear a bit of a whooshing type noise every now and then. maybe my whoosh is your whirl :dunno:. maybe you can remove to glove and snoop around. replace cabin filter while your there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) I used regular unleaded and currently drive on premium fuel but there's no difference - sporadic vibrations can be felt when seated

Sometimes I think the RPMs are too low -
RPMeter.jpg

2) Normally in other cars I cannot hear the fan blower motor at all but in the GC (it is not loud or anything) it is audible.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I have a 3.8 Track auto for a month already and the car is fantastic except for the following minor things which bug me:

- When idle (in Neutral) the car would slightly vibrate/shake similarly to a diesel vehicle

- the (a/c) air fan behind the glove compartment is audible when operating - makes this whirl sound

At the first oil change the dealer said all that's normal but need your opinion here please!
Regarding #1, has a CEL occured at anytime?

Regarding #2, sounds like either some debris (i.e foam insulation) may have fallen down into your a/c blower motor or the blower motor itself has a broken blade causing it to be off balance.

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
seems to me that the engine vibration is because of the low rpms.

as to what is causing the engine to idle so low, IDK :p

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
Do you have the A/C on or defrost on? Or is the fan coming on when you notice the RPM drop/vehicle vibrating?

Sounds normal to me... I'd say 9/10 vehicles experience an RPM drop when the fans come on in the engine.

However, if the idle is low ALL the time - every light, you do not have the A/C running and such, there might be something the dealer can look at if they can duplicate it.

Some fan noise is normal, but then again - I can't hear anything through writing and "teh interwebz" haha. There may be debris (like someone mentioned) ie: a leaf

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
What do you all consider low-rpm? I'll have to double check today, but I'm pretty sure my 3.8 idles at the rpm in that picture every day since brand new...

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
I consider low RPM to be anything below 600-700rpm.

My '87 CRX would idle at 450 - 500 and that hurt my ears.. I constantly had to use the gas to keep it up....

·
Original Member Group
310 Posts
I have noticed both of these issues in my car as well, but I idle around 700-750.

The audible whirr sound form the blower is only at low fan speeds, but can be sparatic based on a combination of the car and outside temps.

I'd get the idle problem checked out, but the fan whirr; dealer will just tell you it's nothing. If they try to fix it, it's very likely they'll make it worse.

·
Don't fake the funk
1,268 Posts
My GC idles at <1000, where your needle is seems normal.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts

If it's all normal then why don't you ask them to go for a drive in one of their GCs on the lot and try to duplicate what you are experiencing? These guys are full of crap.

My car idles smoothly and there's no audible noise from the fan.

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
When OP says vibrates "like a diesel", does he mean a car diesel or a truck or what?

I mean, there's definite vibration when idling. It had it on my 2.0t and now my 3.8.

Its normal for just about any car to have vibration, unless you're used to a S-class Benz or something.

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
you ma'am, needed the throttle body/carb adjusted :p
Carburetor was rebuilt monthly :p

Not to mention the *ahem*manual choke :rofl: was causing me to get high on fumes every morning :p

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
My GC idles at <1000, where your needle is seems normal.
I'm pretty sure that its suppose to idle at 750 rpm at the lowest.

mine idles at 750~900 rpms when warm, but mine is an auto. at 500 the engine starts to stumble.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'm pretty sure that its suppose to idle at 750 rpm at the lowest.

mine idles at 750~900 rpms when warm, but mine is an auto. at 500 the engine starts to stumble.
Mine idles at 750 rpm smoothly, drops to 700 rpm with a/c on and I notice some vibration...when coming to a stop idle will drop to about 500-600 rpm but then "recover" to 750 rpm right away. Done all that since new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts