Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium (97k miles, entirely stock) and I’ve recently had some issues.
Check engine light came on last week but before that I tried accelerating my vehicle because it felt powerless, stepped the pedal to the floor and the RPMs went up but there was no power.
Went to O’Reilly and got code p2563, went to a mechanic and he told me that it’s the turbo and I have to replace the entire part.
There’s a specific noise that concerns me the most when I hit 3000 RPMs when idle and sometimes hear while driving (link for noise).
The confusion hit when I tried to find a solution and saw many people say that it was the wastegate. Today, my coworker and I went to take a look at the wastegate and found out that the wastegate arm was backed up…? He then proceeded to straighten the arm and the check engine light turned off? When pressing the gas, he said that the arm would move, 30 seconds later, the arm got stuck and stayed straight, which turned the engine light on again… I’m honestly so confused, I don’t know what’s the problem, mechanic is telling me it’s the turbo and other people are saying that it’s the wastegate? Honestly, I was relieved that the engine light turned off when we got the lever of the arm unstuck because a whole new turbocharger is extremely expensive but now I honestly don’t know if it’s either the turbo, wastegate, or both :(

If anyone can help, I greatly appreciate it, life before this was already too stressful 😅

01/22 Update: Replaced the actuator and back to normal

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts
I have a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium (97k miles, entirely stock) and I’ve recently had some issues.
Check engine light came on last week but before that I tried accelerating my vehicle because it felt powerless, stepped the pedal to the floor and the RPMs went up but there was no power.
Went to O’Reilly and got code p2563, went to a mechanic and he told me that it’s the turbo and I have to replace the entire part.
There’s a specific noise that concerns me the most when I hit 3000 RPMs when idle and sometimes hear while driving (link for noise).
The confusion hit when I tried to find a solution and saw many people say that it was the wastegate. Today, my coworker and I went to take a look at the wastegate and found out that the wastegate arm was backed up…? He then proceeded to straighten the arm and the check engine light turned off? When pressing the gas, he said that the arm would move, 30 seconds later, the arm got stuck and stayed straight, which turned the engine light on again… I’m honestly so confused, I don’t know what’s the problem, mechanic is telling me it’s the turbo and other people are saying that it’s the wastegate? Honestly, I was relieved that the engine light turned off when we got the lever of the arm unstuck because a whole new turbocharger is extremely expensive but now I honestly don’t know if it’s either the turbo, wastegate, or both :(

If anyone can help, I greatly appreciate it, life before this was already too stressful 😅
The electronic wastegate actuator has plastic gears... likely worn internal gear teeth

·
Premium Member
150 Posts

You can test it out by pulling the gate shut and hold it shut with a small pair of vice grips. For the next part, BE VERY CAREFUL. Let it completely warm up then dive it around the block. Very slowly apply throttle… just enough throttle to build 10ish lbs of boost. If it builds boost quickly and sounds fine, the waste gate actuator is trashed. If you go more than half throttle and it still doesn’t build boost, or it builds boost but it makes metal on metal noises then your turbo is shot. At no point should you need to go more than half throttle.

I reiterate… BE VERY CAREFUL. If your turbo is good, locking the waste gate shut and applying too much throttle can VERY easily over boost the turbo and blow your turbo. Or worse blow your whole engine. Also don’t forget to remove the vice grips before you drive the car again.

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts
You can test it out by pulling the gate shut and hold it shut with a small pair of vice grips. For the next part, BE VERY CAREFUL. Let it completely warm up then dive it around the block. Very slowly apply throttle… just enough throttle to build 10ish lbs of boost. If it builds boost quickly and sounds fine, the waste gate actuator is trashed. If you go more than half throttle and it still doesn’t build boost, or it builds boost but it makes metal on metal noises then your turbo is shot. At no point should you need to go more than half throttle.

I reiterate… BE VERY CAREFUL. If your turbo is good, locking the waste gate shut and applying too much throttle can VERY easily over boost the turbo and blow your turbo. Or worse blow your whole engine. Also don’t forget to remove the vice grips before you drive the car again.
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but holding the flap shut isn't going to do much.
What i mean is, the ECU is whining because the wastegate actuator isn't moving.
The wastegate actuator is electronic, meaning it sends the ECU readings of what position it is in. If the ECU is expecting it to be moving, and its not, then its going to freak out and go into limp mode.

Years ago someone had the same issue. He took his actuator apart and the teeth on the gears were stripped.

And no, you can't use a electronic wastegate actuator from kia stinger or sonata.
The one for the genesis coupe operates backwards, meaning "push" closes the flap; "pull" opens the flap.

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts

To check if the turbo is fine, when cold, remove the intake from the front of the turbo.
Stick your hand in
Without spinning it, try to move the shaft up and down, left and right, and while holding it in each direction rotate it slightly. If you feel some catching, then in for a new turbo core (you don't need to buy a whole turbo).
Then spin it by hand. If its was catching a little while doing the left/right thing but spins fine, then the turbo will last a little bit longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but holding the flap shut isn't going to do much.
What i mean is, the ECU is whining because the wastegate actuator isn't moving.
The wastegate actuator is electronic, meaning it sends the ECU readings of what position it is in. If the ECU is expecting it to be moving, and its not, then its going to freak out and go into limp mode.

Years ago someone had the same issue. He took his actuator apart and the teeth on the gears were stripped.

And no, you can't use a electronic wastegate actuator from kia stinger or sonata.
The one for the genesis coupe operates backwards, meaning "push" closes the flap; "pull" opens the flap.
Replaced the wastegate and got it back to normal, thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts