Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"""Most every other car - lowering the car will give it a harsher ride (less travel and progressively stiffer springs) so you will feel more bumps. if you commute, NOT a good idea unless you dont care about ride quality (i do)

secondly, anytime you adjust anything with the suspension, you should get the alignment at least checked (alot of tire places will CHECK for free, and charge to adjust) this way, you will know if the extra $80 or whatever is worth it

lowering a car will most likely wear your shocks faster than stock height - however up to a 2" drop we'll say the difference should be negligible. anything over a 2" drop and you should most likely look into coilovers

along with that last point, expect some issues if any warranty issues pop up - that will not be covered by the factory warranty (parts & labor can get expensive) so again.. is your car being lowered really worth it?

If my lancer was my only car.. then yes id most likely lower it so i can enjoy a nice looking car with slightly better handling. since its not.. i will prolly wait till the warranty is all but shot to change anything on it (besides lights and other easily swapped out parts)

just writing this for the n00bs out there who just want a good looking lowered car, but dont want a chewed up front end, voided warranty, extra rattles in the car from added vibration, and a harsher ride while driving all over creation.

also... DO NOT just cut coils in your springs... spend the $300 or whatever and get some nice progressive springs (start soft to help with ride quality and progressively get stiffer so when you do nail a nice bump, you at least absorb some of the hit before your travel is maxxed and the frame takes it.

if you want a faster car in the corners... lowering springs are not the best way to go. coilovers all the way. if you are on a budget, fine, but also look for stiffer sway bars to help

as far as fenders... wider tires with a nice offest will look great, but most likely need the inner lip of the fender to be bent up and out of the way - or "rolled". flaring fenders is a bit dramatic for these cars... not a muscle car or hot rod.. just roll them and call it a day. stock car as it sits, my guess is that one can probably drop the car 2.5" all the way around and not have any issues, except maybe some minor rubbing on full lock of the front wheels which is negligable.

those rrm springs someone posted earlier seem good to me, but i would prefer a bit more of a drop - maybe 2" all around."""""
IS THIS TRUE? I FOUND THIS THREAD SOMEWHERE ONLINE...
Im planning to get a pro kit, no too low . but decent low, with performance and the look.
help me out here, thanks guys..

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
A lot of that is true, I disagree on the ride part. I found my coils to be smoother!

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
If you cut your springs you end up with what we refer to as the "Honda hop" when you hit a bump. Not a good idea. Your ride is also depending on your tires and the size. I dropped mine and got skinny tires and used to commute daily with it and the ride was harsh but I really didn't mind.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
W/ Stance coil-overs the ride is better than stock Track suspension, handles better, and I feel it looks better as well being about 1" lower as I set it.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
I think I'm 2.5 in the front and 3" in the rear all around or close, I was tucking all my wheels but some of the shows I was going to were on grass and it was getting to be a pain driving around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, I'm not sure how anyone could make the ride more stiffer. I find the Gen comes very stiff out of the box and I drive a civic with upgraded suspension that rides rougher!

·
For the love of drifting
818 Posts
I have BC coils and on 10 damper setting (out of 30) my car rides almost the same if not better than the stock suspension. I love the BC coils. I tried 8 and it definitely rode better than stock. I also tried 15 and 20 and that was too stiff for me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm........Progressive springs with adjustable dampers. Have it your way. LOL

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
say something like the eibach pro-kit which drops by like 1.5 inches or so...how will that affect the car in the long run?

·
Registered
10 Posts
dropping a car to 1.5 inches wont make any difference really. After a while the shocks will wear out a bit faster than on stock suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts