Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had thoughts of selling my BK1 and going BK2 for the power increase. Pros and cons?
Main thing stopping me is that a haltech wont work with the ac is there a bypass for that?
If there is an article discussing pros of the BK2 over the BK1 please send it as i could not find it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you are worried about running a haltech then that must mean you want to add a larger turbo and injectors. I would just keep the car and build the bottom end. You can get really good deals on rods,pistons, bearings etc...from gencoupestore.com.
Buying a bk2 will not give you a huge increase in power like you think.
I run a gt3076r on stock internals with stock fuel system tuned by alphaspeed on my bk2. I do not drive my car hard. I know the limits.
You already have a car and it seems you want more power so if you want to get there just set goals and set plans to achieve these goals.
If you are not mechanically incline to do the work yourself be prepared to spend way more money to achieve your goals.
If you want a bk2 because of looks thats a different story but stock power and thinking that the bk2 stock internals handle alot of power might not be worth selling your bk1 and then buying a bk2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Get a BK2 engine and swap it

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There are no mechanical pros to a BK1 RS 3800 to a BK2 GDI. Less power, weaker internals, much higher failure rate if you boost her.

Just the facts. Having said that , there can be sentimental and aesthetic reasons one might prefer a BK1.

I think the BK1's potentially can be "prettier". My BK2 beast is like a "butta-face" chick with a really hot-hot ass body.

Ok, DUH.......... I see we are talking about 2.0T's. Pretty much the same considerations. Improved engine. Tougher internals. You could put a bigger turbo and injectors and have a greater reliability factor

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks are in the eye of the beholder. I liked the bk1 except the tiny grill. I like the bk2 with modified grill. Looks nice . I won't comment on best color or best looking gen model. Those are ALL up to the one buying it. If you want a bk2 then get one. They did change the leather and interior to so called better parts that was a huge complaint for bk1. Cheap interior. Bk2 are still cheap but they did change things. I have grown to like both model years now.
My nephew bought a silver 2012 track and mines a 2013 Track.
Now if you want the extra hp to beging with then mod? You already have a jimp on the bk1.
Truth is bk1 can be fast AF with good mods.
Stock for stock if your not modified? Bk2 are faster.
I know this is a crappy answer, but get the bk2 if you prefer that model style and keep the bk1 if you prefer that one i test drive both bk1/2 with the 3.8 and it came down to looks for me. I preferred the bk2 slightly. This isn't my car but it's the modded grill i like.
Screenshot_20200719-215929_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Screenshot_20200719-215905_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
465 Posts
I believe alphaspeed has a board you can buy that fixes the AC issue

·
Premium Member
16,015 Posts
Personally, the bk1 is easier to tune for.
Tuning-wise the Bk2 has 2 main negatives:
1. The stupid ewga, and how Hyundai tuned the ecu for it. What I mean is, from what I can tell, there is no way to "tune out" the ewga, so the ewga HAS to be plugged in, even if it's not being used to control boost.
2. The impedance injectors the system is made to use. (I forget if it's high or low. I just know if you used the wrong ones on the BK2 you can try the injectors driver in the ecu, tuning the ecu into a paperweight)

The BK2 does lessen how lean the rear cylinders run to a degree (my theory), compared to the bk1, due to exhaust manifold design.
BUT putting a bk2 manifold/turbo on a bk1 system (meaning no ewga to deal with) isn't as simple as it seems.
The way the oriented the wga arm/flap, you have to find a way to mount the wga towards the back of the engine.

If it were me, I would rebuild the engine, or swap in a bk2 engine. With the miles a majority of the bk1 are getting to now a days, it's about time to replace the timing chain anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts