Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 2.0 r spec automatic. Bought it used. After taking it home, it started getting stuck in 5th gear if I put manual. Took it back to the dealer and with the warranty it was fixed.

Five months later the problem is back and even scarier. Yesterday I was driving on the highway doing 70 miles, had the car on manual on 8th gear. Then felt like I hit a car in front of me (it stopped so bad I felt blood in my nose) then I noticed it went down from 8th to 5th gear, and got stuck there again. I asked a few friends with genesis, but they tell me that only happens to manual cars and it doesn't kick. Has this happend to anyone else before?

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
I have a 2013 2.0 r spec automatic. Bought it used. After taking it home, it started getting stuck in 5th gear if I put manual. Took it back to the dealer and with the warranty it was fixed.

Five months later the problem is back and even scarier. Yesterday I was driving on the highway doing 70 miles, had the car on manual on 8th gear. Then felt like I hit a car in front of me (it stopped so bad I felt blood in my nose) then I noticed it went down from 8th to 5th gear, and got stuck there again. I asked a few friends with genesis, but they tell me that only happens to manual cars and it doesn't kick. Has this happend to anyone else before?
get it replaced again, but tell them that you want to see the parts that were replaced before they send the old transmission back to hyundai.

That way you will be sure that they did something. might be the torque converter

What happened when you restarted the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, when I restart the car it comes back to normal. But every time I drive somewhere, in between point A to point B I run into this issue. At least now the engine light stays on which it didn't before and gave me a hard time with dealers to find the problem.

I dropped it off at the dealer today and based on the answers I'm getting when I explain what's going on i can tell they don't want to swap the transition, I guess I have to wait until tomorrow so they can tell me what they can do...

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
What he meant was that the R-Spec is only offered with a 6MT...

I know what he meant.
The gc r-spect/track always were suppose to be manual since 2010

dealers order different configurations, or the factory just gives them different configurations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure. Like I said I bought the car used and I noticed some changes done to it.

I still don't know a lot of genesis but the engine the car has now says rs turbo and is automatic 8 gear.

What I'm not sure of is the year because the dealer sold it to me as 2013 but in the door the last number of the year was scratch and can't see it, I have 2012 rims also my friend who has a 2013 showed me his engine and they both look very different..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not sure. Like I said I bought the car used and I noticed some changes done to it.

I still don't know a lot of genesis but the engine the car has now says rs turbo and is automatic 8 gear.

What I'm not sure of is the year because the dealer sold it to me as 2013 but in the door the last number of the year was scratch and can't see it, I have 2012 rims also my friend who has a 2013 showed me his engine and they both look very different..
What year is it insured as?

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts

model year is usually a year after the build date

you can decode the vin number to make sure of what you have.
could be that some just slapped an r-spec badge on there.

Hyundai VIN Decoder

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks that's very helpfull nobody had recommended me that before. Soon as I get the car back I will decode the vin.

On another note I'm in love with the car even if is not the r spec, I had a 2012 vw cc before this car and didn't have as much fun as I have now driving..

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Sounds like a valve body issue

·
Registered
954 Posts
If the dealer is telling you that the car is a 2013 then it will look like this.

If it's a 2010-2012 model, it will look like this.

There are many differences between the first generation and the second generation Genesis Coupe. The main difference that you will notice is that the entire front fascia, bumper cover and headlamps are completely different. Not only that, but the design for the base model wheels and R-spec/ultimate wheels vary pretty heavily.
First Generation R-Spec Wheels (2010-2012)

Second Generation Ultimate/R-spec wheels

Also the interior design changed more than enough to easily notice.
2010-2012 interior

2013+ Genesis Coupe interior design

One of the biggest interior differences is the center area has OEM gauges now, the tachometer and center gauge cluster gauges are completely different as well. These are a few very easy ways to tell if you have a 2010-2012 (first generation, A.K.A BK1 ) or 2013-2016 (second generation, A.K.A BK2) Genesis Coupe.

The most IMPORTANT thing that they changed between the year/generation swap is the transmissions. In 2013 the transmission design was upgraded to be more reliable and stronger/more sturdy, a lot less transmission issues in the BK2's. The BK2's also put out about 40ish more crank HP between the two different engine types versus the BK1's.

Hopefully this has helped you and I hope you find an easily obtainable solution to your current problem. Get yourself a new transmission!

Reactions: ScottAtlanta82
1 - 20 of 37 Posts