Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0t with around 95k miles on it. I'm about to buy some upgrades and want to know if its still "safe" to daily. I'm putting in a GT3076 Turbo with 1100cc injectors on a custom alphaspeed e85 tune. Right now I have a cold air intake,O2 Housing ISR and, 3" ISR Race Exhaust. I'm guessing I will be somewhere around 400+hp and want to know if that is still considered "safe" to the average driver. Please let people who know what they are talking about answer this

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Feel like that's relative to the person's opinion. Are you asking if the engine is safe? the car is safe! my friends and I daily drive and I'm the only one without a huge turbo on my 3.8 and I run with a lot of big turbo 2.0T guys as well. 3 of the 3.8's are above 550 horsepower. the highest bk1 2.0t we have here has 370 hp out of his. and we're driving through rain and hills 24/7 cuz Missouri. The car itself can handle itself but the engine is different.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What Anthioz said. It is very much subjective. I think the better ask is do you have a backup vehicle before starting a big build. I'm about to start a build on my BK2 but I wouldn't dare start it if I didn't have another vehicle to get to work. Too many things can go wrong, or even if they are going right... sometimes you realize you need to order something else. Be as organized as possible with your build, but keep an open mind that things may change. I've added numerous parts to my shopping cart I hadn't even though of when I started my build list.

Anyway, as far as daily driving goes I used my BK2 as my primary daily driver for 6-7 years in both Florida and North Carolina. I had the BK1 (2010) for a couple years prior too. Purchased my second vehicle in 2018 (Dodge Durango). My second vehicle has shifted to my daily while I work on my Genesis and because sometimes the weather is too wet/or cold and the SUV is more comfortable in those conditions.

Anyway, I think the car is fine to daily. If you are adding more power, reliability can become a concern. Alphaspeed should be able to tune it reliably, but don't underestimate the unexpected.

Lastly, I didn't see a clutch upgrade mentioned. You may not be able to hold all that power, or have a hard time putting it down to the wheels. There are other supporting mods to consider to make that increase in power more usable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input!! I have an auto right now sadly :(
Also I guess the main thing I’m trying to get is having that much hp worth the cost of reliability loss?
secondly I have been look at the evo 8/9 turbo which I have considered because it is “safer” on your engine.
I just want a fair power increase without constantly worrying ab blowing my motor, so guessing evo 8/9 would be the most reliable route.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keeping power under 400 to the wheels is definitely safer. This is probably why some of the aftermarket turbo setups aim for the 350 - 400whp max. Some have hit 500whp in stock BK2s but there is variance and risk with the engines and most suggest 400 is the limit of BK1 engines. Hence I am going to rebuild my engine before aiming for 500-600whp.

Ask Alphaspeed if the 400+ HP is realistic on a stock block. They will likely advise it be built or keep the goal HP lower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts