Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,015 Posts
Outside of the compressor housing there should be an embossment that says TD04HL-19T if it's from a 2013 or newer.
The housing is a unique shape. It would be easy to tell.

Older, it would TD04L-13T
They are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outside of the compressor housing there should be an embossment that says TD04HL-19T if it's from a 2013 or newer.
The housing is a unique shape. It would be easy to tell.

Older, it would TD04L-13T
They are not interchangeable.
Sweet, Thank you! By chance would you also be able to tell me how to check if the compressor wheel has been changed? I’ve been trying to figure out all that’s been done to the car by the previous owner, but don’t have another turbo on hand to compare it to. I’ve tried searching around but haven’t found anything conclusive.

·
Premium Member
16,015 Posts
Sweet, Thank you! By chance would you also be able to tell me how to check if the compressor wheel has been changed? I’ve been trying to figure out all that’s been done to the car by the previous owner, but don’t have another turbo on hand to compare it to. I’ve tried searching around but haven’t found anything conclusive.
I doubt that it's been apart from looking at the photo.

1. no witness marks on the impeller nut
2. these turbos are reverse threaded, so a person that didn't know what he was doing, trying to rebuild the turbo, would likely shear off the whole threaded section, junking the whole turbo, trying to get the nut off, thinking it's normal direction threading. The nut is suppose to be tightened to like 13~15 foot/pounds, so taking it off shouldn't take much force.

Another reason is it would be cheaper/easier to just get a replacement TD04HL (for BK2) or TD04L (for BK1) with a larger wheel installed and with the matching compressor housing; than it would be to rebuild the OEM turbo with a larger wheel, and having the compressor housing machined.

What's wrong with it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts