Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i bought an Engine from LKQ. The Engine was " guaranteed" to be in "working condition" with only "normal wear" in respect to the donar car's age. (52k miles) does this look like normal wear to you guys? Or should i call them and have a word? I plan on having the engine checked by a mechanic in the next few days also.

Attachments

·
omphaloskeptic
76 Posts
Not exactly wear, but looks like it has been sitting outside in the rain....

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that has the dual-mass flywheel, I can't believe it won't need replacing. And those run about $900 IRC

Reactions: tdbill

·
Registered
16 Posts
You think i could clean it up? Or do you think i should just tell em the pressure plate is done?
The pressure plate has definitely seen moisture, but as long as the cylinders are good you own this engine. Typically when you purchase a used engine any accessories included are a "bonus" and are not warrantied in any way. A clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel would be an accessory IMO unless stated otherwise.

Here is a quote from an lkq auction for an engine:

"The engine you receive may or may NOT include some additional accessories and extra parts. If included these parts are sold AS-IS with NO WARRANTY and were included to help protect the engine during storage and shipping. Examples of these non-warranty parts include switches, sensors, cables, coils, wires, injectors, electronics, belts (including timing belt/chain), hoses, water pumps, brackets, intake/exhaust manifolds, oil pans and turbos/superchargers (if equipped). To aid in installation, you get to keep your current engine and all attached accessories. Warranty does NOT cover labor, diagnostic, towing or rental car costs."

Here is another quote from their installation checklist:

- Exchange the flywheel and bolts. (meaning use yours...)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is there some sort of solvent you can dip it in to get rid of the rust?

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
Is there some sort of solvent you can dip it in to get rid of the rust?
Some years ago walmart sold some stuff called rust remover or something like that in the automotive section.

Little white bottle with a GREY (not black) label. The black label was some sort of paint that sucked.

I think I have some somewhere still. I'll take a pic of it, not sure if they still sell it though. It's a weak phosphoric acid in gel form.
Can try to use that, but my recommendation is to just replace the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate.
Also drain the oil and remove the oil pan, just to see if there is/was water in the engine. That's easy enough to remove and reinstall.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
It's called Naval Jelly...you can get it anywhere, like Home Depot or any auto parts store. It does a good job of stopping rust and converting it to a non-ferrous metal (if I remember correctly). Make sure you use gloves because it has phosphuric acid in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts