Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am about to install my ISR O2 housing, ISR down pipe, test pipe and cat back system. I will be getting a tune to compliment this set up as well. Truthfully, how loud is a turbo back set up on 2.0T? I’ve gotten a couple noise complaints just from having some buddies over… I can’t imagine how it’ll be with this set up and coming home from work late at night. Is there a silencer I could install?

thanks !

·
187 Posts
It depends on what people consider loud... I have this setup with a cat, and the cold start is louder than stock but not by a ton. The idle is pretty quiet. I can have a conversation in the car without issues in person or via Bluetooth. It's louder than stock when taking off or at WOT, but it's not overkill.
I usually leave the neighborhood gently anyway.

It's quieter than the other two systems I had though lol

The Tomei... HOLY ****. People told me it wasn't loud. I could not have a normal conversation in the car. On cold starts, in the parking lot, my spouse would complain about it being loud - FROM INSIDE THE APARTMENT. After a long drive, it was like my ears were broken.
But... It did make some incredible noise lol
I work remote now, so I kind of want to put it back on because god did it sound incredible... But with my luck, I'd end up going back to the office a week later -___-

TurboXS...This was my favorite... Really nice sound, a little louder than the ISR but still really good at daily duty. Just sucks the welds on the muffler mount broke off and damaged it beyond repair :/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on what people consider loud... I have this setup with a cat, and the cold start is louder than stock but not by a ton. The idle is pretty quiet. I can have a conversation in the car without issues in person or via Bluetooth. It's louder than stock when taking off or at WOT, but it's not overkill.

The Tomei... HOLY ****. People told me it wasn't loud. I could not have a normal conversation in the car. On cold starts, in the parking lot, my spouse would complain about it being loud - FROM INSIDE THE APARTMENT. After a long drive, it was like my ears were broken.
I work remote now, so I kind of want to put it back on because god did it sound incredible... But with my luck, I'd end up going back to the office a week later -___-

TurboXS...This was my favorite... Really nice sound, a little louder than the ISR but still really good at daily duty. Just sucks the welds on the muffler mount broke off and damaged it beyond repair :/
Thanks for the detailed reply! I can imagine the tomei was a beast I’ve always wanted that set up but the bank says otherwise… lol you said you’re running a cat - is this the OEM cat?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the ISR Street Catback exhaust (though its now turbo-back), larger top mount turbo, and downpipe. For the most part I think its the right amount of sound, but depending on where you and speed, the turbo makes more noise. So to be clear I have one large muffler at the rear, but that's it.

I wish I had a better way to capture audio but I have a few videos I can share so you can get a feel of the sound. Probably the best example of general audio would be the dyno. Though track day gives you a sense of driving but wind definitely gets picked up by the dash cam at "highway" speeds.

Reactions: 2.0 Geni

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the ISR Street Catback exhaust (though its now turbo-back), larger top mount turbo, and downpipe. For the most part I think its the right amount of sound, but depending on where you and speed, the turbo makes more noise. So to be clear I have one large muffler at the rear, but that's it.

I wish I had a better way to capture audio but I have a few videos I can share so you can get a feel of the sound. Probably the best example of general audio would be the dyno. Though track day gives you a sense of driving but wind definitely gets picked up by the dash cam at "highway" speeds.
Awesome, thank you! I wouldn’t mind seeing that. Could you run the primary cat then do down pipe, test pipe, and cat back 3 inches all the way from the cat? Would it also reduce power or effect getting a tune?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awesome, thank you! I wouldn’t mind seeing that. Could you run the primary cat then do down pipe, test pipe, and cat back 3 inches all the way from the cat? Would it also reduce power or effect getting a tune?
If you are willing to the work, its definitely possible. Generally the primary cat is part of the downpipe. You would probably just go downpipe -> cat -> catback.

Cats always restrict airflow but honestly its worth having one in my opinion. You can get hi-flow cats that are less restrictive than OEM ones. As for tuners they should be able to tune regardless of whether you have a cat or not, but its good they know ahead of time .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are willing to the work, its definitely possible. Generally the primary cat is part of the downpipe. You would probably just go downpipe -> cat -> catback.

Cats always restrict airflow but honestly its worth having one in my opinion. You can get hi-flow cats that are less restrictive than OEM ones. As for tuners they should be able to tune regardless of whether you have a cat or not, but its good they know ahead of time .
Okay that’s good to know. Do they even have a high flow primary cat/O2 housing?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Okay that’s good to know. Do they even have a high flow primary cat/O2 housing?
I'm only aware of one that exists commercially. Otherwise you need to make one yourself. CP-E sold a downpipe high flow cat option. Replaces the O2 housing with it, designed for the BK2. I ran this for a while, might still have that downpipe+cat.

Reactions: JOutterbridge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm only aware of one that exists commercially. Otherwise you need to make one yourself. CP-E sold a downpipe high flow cat option. Replaces the O2 housing with it, designed for the BK2. I ran this for a while, might still have that downpipe+cat.
Unfortunately it won’t fit the BK1 :( I’m just gonna run with mine and drive carefully. Anywho, do you know what this oil line is called? I had an oil pan leak which I fixed but I also noticed this line is seeping oil and I can’t seem to find any holes or broken areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
If anyone has a spare CPE kit like this I'd like one myself 😏

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone has a spare CPE kit like this I'd like one myself 😏

So I installed the turbo back without any leaks and it went smoothly (for once). I’m getting my tune tomorrow which I can post results later. Everything went smoothly until we had to adjust the single exit to fit the mid pipe ( installed it in a weird order I know) and I now can’t fit the single exit on the last hanger. I used zip ties just to keep it from swaying back and forth. Is there an after market one that’ll but long enough to hang the exit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,
I am about to install my ISR O2 housing, ISR down pipe, test pipe and cat back system. I will be getting a tune to compliment this set up as well. Truthfully, how loud is a turbo back set up on 2.0T? I’ve gotten a couple noise complaints just from having some buddies over… I can’t imagine how it’ll be with this set up and coming home from work late at night. Is there a silencer I could install?

thanks !
It’s loud! I have a complete ISR exhaust on my 2011 2.0t.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts