Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so pardon my ignorance here because the GC is my first turbo car... but do all turbos run terrible in the heat? I'm guessing its partially due to the undersized stock intercooler? I'm 100% stock so I would think hyundai would have done some hot weather testing in Nevada or something and this wouldn't be a problem. It feels like mother nature has secretly unbolted my turbo.

Its been over 90* for the past 6 weeks and summer isn't even here yet. Asside from moving to Canada, what can be done to get the car running better?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey,

Get a good FMIC that should help a bit, also better coolant, possibly synthetic oil since it runs better in the heat. Some people have even gone so far as to put in a better radiator

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
A fmic kit would not be a bad investment. ;). At least then, you will be able to sustain power better than you would be able to with the oem IC.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^^^^
maybe if you hurried up your production :p
jk <3

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
I would if we could just get our contracted jobs out of the way. :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
Tell them you have more important gencoupe production to get done,

sorry back on topic.. FMIC

·
Registered
238 Posts
my sti ran awesome in 40c + weather and it had the top mount ic.

i haven't had this car near that yet 35c was the hottest but huge humidity 100% seem to run fine. not poor by any stretch .

and that's in Canada! my home town hits 40c+ for a month or so highest i seen it was 46c not to sure exact conversion but its over 100 f.... so ur not safe up here either.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A nice-sized FMIC with hard pipes will definitely help. You could also install an intake manifold thermal gasket/spacer to get the IATs down a little more as well. If you really want to get those IATs down, and make more power, get a meth injection kit to go along with the first two items.

Since installing my FMIC, I have noticed that my car is not as sluggish in the hot weather. However, on days when it's 90 or above, I can definitely notice the ECU sacling back timing. Still not as bad as with the stock IC though.

And yes, heat affects all turbos, but some setups make enough power that the effects may be less noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts