Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a couple floor jacks and jack stands. I want two so I can get the car up and the wheels off in the fastest/most effecient way. As always I'm trying to spend the least amount possible while still being able to rely on the jack/stands. Does anyone has a preferance in brand?

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
Harbor freight sells good low pro jacks for hella cheap and they sell aluminum stands at autozone for less than 20

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
Yup Yup ^^

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I trust aluminum stands with... say... a tahoe?

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Using the proper jack stands AND knowing their limitations is KEY, as well as safely suspending the vehicle on those stands.

I ditched any prior jack stands I had used in the past for a set of the Sears Professional 4-TON jack stands (8,000lb holding capacity). Their lift is a min height of 12" to a max height of 17".

I've used them on my Mustangs, prior BMW's, prior Broncos as well as our prior Explorer. Never an issue and trust me, they are high quality, well constructed and safe jack stands to work with when under a vehicle.

Sears
Item#: 00950163000P
Model#: 50163
Price: $45 per pair

Sears said:
This pair of Jack Stands from Craftsman features a rated capacity of 8,000 lbs. per pair. The ratchet design provides fast, easy and secure adjustment, while its wide stance with sturdy welded steel construction provides added stability. The counter-weighted pawl with quick adjustment control serves as a secure locking device to help prevent the load from accidentally disengaging.
They are the large beefy black triangular stand with yellow ratchet lift post. Their base or triangular foot stamp is much wider than your average jack stand, which also helps to support the vehicle more safely (and enables more weight to be suspended). The lift posts are very thick and solid, much larger than standard jack stands.

I'd recommend to anyone who does their own work and uses jack stands to ditch their Pep Boy/Auto Zone/Advance Auto "special" 2-tonner stands and go with a set that is not only beefier as far as material strength, but also a set that can support double or triple the weight you want to lift.

Sure, maybe my stands are "overkill", but I would rather have stands that are overkill, than to be killed from a smaller set that has a smaller triangular footprint, inferior metal & welds, a jacking post that could snap or a set that can't SAFELY support a vehicle at height.

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the Tahoe weigh more than two tons?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Not sure, I'm starting my own Plasti-dipping business, so I'm not sure which vehicles im going to get. If someone need there excursion wheels dipped then I've got to get that big b***h off the ground safetly haha.

Using the proper jack stands AND knowing their limitations is KEY, as well as safely suspending the vehicle on those stands.

I ditched any prior jack stands I had used in the past for a set of the Sears Professional 4-TON jack stands (8,000lb holding capacity). Their lift is a min height of 12" to a max height of 17".

I've used them on my Mustangs, prior BMW's, prior Broncos as well as our prior Explorer. Never an issue and trust me, they are high quality, well constructed and safe jack stands to work with when under a vehicle.

Sears
Item#: 00950163000P
Model#: 50163
Price: $45 per pair

They are the large beefy black triangular stand with yellow ratchet lift post. Their base or triangular foot stamp is much wider than your average jack stand, which also helps to support the vehicle more safely (and enables more weight to be suspended). The lift posts are very thick and solid, much larger than standard jack stands.

I'd recommend to anyone who does their own work and uses jack stands to ditch their Pep Boy/Auto Zone/Advance Auto "special" 2-tonner stands and go with a set that is not only beefier as far as material strength, but also a set that can support double or triple the weight you want to lift.

Sure, maybe my stands are "overkill", but I would rather have stands that are overkill, than to be killed from a smaller set that has a smaller triangular footprint, inferior metal & welds, a jacking post that could snap or a set that can't SAFELY support a vehicle at height.
Welp....you sold me on those haha. Know of a good floor jack? Do I need two jacks or will one be enough?

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have (2) hydraulic floor jacks.

The first is an aluminum Craftsman. It's nice, for the only fact that it's extremely lightweight. It is high quality and lifts without issues, however the only complaint I have is - since it is lightweight due to being aluminum, when jacking sometimes the front with the jacking pad wants to lift off the floor. Once the jacking pad makes contact with the vehicle, it's fine.

The second floor jack I have is all steel, low profile floor jack made by Torin. It's HEAVY, but the front is very low (something like 1" or 1.5" clearance), which is good for lowered vehicles. It also has a nice extended length to it, so it makes it easier to reach a spot under the vehicle. This floor jack takes abuse and has never failed me. It's a beast as far as weight, but it's great for all vehicle uses. I forget its lift capacity, but I had no issues lifting Broncos, F-Series Ford pickups, Explorers or the Tucson we have now.

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more question for you guy. Do you think I could get away with one floor jack and two jack stands? Jack the rear up from the middle and plant two stands, then jacking up the front and leaving the jack there? Will that be stable?

·
Aww yeee
1,532 Posts
One more question for you guy. Do you think I could get away with one floor jack and two jack stands? Jack the rear up from the middle and plant two stands, then jacking up the front and leaving the jack there? Will that be stable?
technically yes you can, but its not really recommended.

Your best bet would be to jack up the rear, put the stands under, do whatever you have to do there, put the rear down, then do the front with your two stands. Takes longer, yes, but safer.

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
technically yes you can, but its not really recommended.

Your best bet would be to jack up the rear, put the stands under, do whatever you have to do there, put the rear down, then do the front with your two stands. Takes longer, yes, but safer.
Well I really need to get all four off the ground at once. Should I just get 4 stands?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Your health and car is worth risking the $100 it costs for 2 more jack stands???? Seriously?

·
Court Jester
4,297 Posts
Heck, I have 6 jack stands....

For those wintertime projects when you have one car up off the ground completely.....

And you need to change the oil in a different one! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts