Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going into effect in NYS in November (and I'm sure in other states) a "OBD TAMPER TERMINATOR" will now be used for inspections.

"implementing this reliable and easily deployed method for detecting OBD tampering provides enforcement agencies with a powerful way to identify such fraud and, as a result, increase emission reduction benefits....."

"the OBD TAMPER TERMINATOR" is a system that works by interrogating the vehicles ECU with our patent-pending method. Based on analysis of the ECU interrogation, the system can distinguish vechicles that have been tampered with and those that have not"

My dads a NYS inspector and brought this home today, thought I'd share!

Get those spare ECU's ready!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well.... Fml, looks like im dropping the extra money on a completely new flashed one.

·
Aww yeee
1,532 Posts
Uh... what if I flash it back to stock, and the emissions pass at the time.. would they still fail me just because it was tampered with in the past?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh... what if I flash it back to stock, and the emissions pass at the time.. would they still fail me just because it was tampered with in the past?
I'm not sure how in depth it will be. Does flashing back to stock completely reset it to stock? Will they be able to tell you did? Not sure.

But I do know there are tons of guys that have sold their modules or only have one ECU on hand.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Kinda confused on this
so you will fail no matter what unless it is the stock ecu?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Exceladyne Performance Tuned ECU

In stock and ready to ship :)

But honestly....why does this matter? Is it against the law to change your ecu programming? So long as your running the stock tune, your emissions equipment and you can pass when tested, I don't see any concerns.

Perhaps this is for those who are trying to pass emissions tests while their equipment is not in place? (Home brew programming that makes the ecu show "ready" when in deed its not)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda confused on this
so you will fail no matter what unless it is the stock ecu?
Not sure if it will be able to detect "flashed" back to stock ECUs. But wanted to give every one a heads up

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exceladyne Performance Tuned ECU

In stock and ready to ship :)

But honestly....why does this matter? Is it against the law to change your ecu programming? So long as your running the stock tune, your emissions equipment and you can pass when tested, I don't see any concerns.

Perhaps this is for those who are trying to pass emissions tests while their equipment is not in place? (Home brew programming that makes the ecu show "ready" when in deed its not)
Not that it's illegal it's just against emission standards of that state. What will be done about it? Possibly a fine I would assume.

Yeah that was a big part of it was cat removal etc etc. which I think is the major concern they are trying to address.

I only read a portion of it. Going to get more details on it in a few days. But I think this could be problem for guys with out a spare ECU on hand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry but to me it doesnt seem like you or your dad know what you talking about.

Something like this seems like it would be used when guys with there 1000HP cars that are passing as emmisions bc they tweaked the ecu. Or in the case of our car going after people who are passing emmisions with no cat. If just flashing your ecu is illegal in anyway than im moving to japan tomorrow.

30 seconds after posting i found this
http://systechportal.com/innovations/obd-tamper-terminator/
like i said only illegal bc its sending a signal to the ecu to always pass.

Don't worry at all because your flashed

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense taken. Like I said it seemed to be targeting people who tamper with cats/ o2 sensor. Just wanted to make people aware of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
there is alot of way of fooling a computer in to thinking that there are cats on the car . there will be away to fool this

·
Advenio Pariter
3,988 Posts
Move to PA.

We allow big-assed sugary drinks (Kommisar Bloomie is still fighting that one), all the guns you want to buy and as long as everything is connected-up and the tailpipe is clean you are good to go. I have never had my catch cans questioned, for example, but you do have to install your cats for inspection day.

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
This is why you move to Texas! Our "emission standards" will turn your white shirt black by the end of the day.

·
Finally Boosted
276 Posts
Im in CA, just had my cylinder head replaced under warranty with my ECU flashed back to stock. They did scan it they said they run some "sample simulation" was how he put it, and my car passed clean. Dont know what this is though... Our smog laws are tough enough already..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts