1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd say more of the Gen Sedan but I can see where you are coming from- a slight mix

·
Registered
198 Posts
I drove along side the 2 different sub-models on I-5 at 4am a few months ago and they look really sexy in person, almost exotic. I didn't know what they were at the time since they didn't have KIA badges, just "stinger" emblems and body wrap. They wouldn't race me, just putting along. I've been considering a SRT Charger for more room but if these can be moderately tuned I'd bet they'd be pretty damn fast for the money. $40k is still a lot for a KIA though, so the interior and ride quality would really need to impress.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nope, not even close.

The stinger is more like the Audi A7 than anything else. 4dr "Sportback" I think is what they are calling it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like we got our answer to the new future Gen Coupe which if Genesis keeps to script, will look like a 2 dr version of the newly released G70 sedan (long hood included). Stinger and G70 share the same platform as indicated, I would suspect then parent company is working on a Stinger coupe and G70 coupe, also on the same platform, just stands to reason

By the time Genesis gets to the G70 coupe, should have all the design bugs worked out, I do like them both, the new coupe will be another awesome first

Kia Stinger shares platform with Genesis G70

Kia's groundbreaking Stinger hatchback is fresh out of the oven. Its cousin, the Genesis G70, hasn't been seen yet. But after the Kia's Detroit auto show debut, the question is already brewing: What's the difference between the two?

Answering definitively will be crucial for Kia and Genesis. Both cars look to challenge the established compact sport sedans; to do so effectively they'll need to carve out different identities from each other -- despite sharing most of their hardware -- and from their competitors.

While executives who worked on both cars weren't necessarily eager to take up the question, the clearest signal came from Albert Biermann, head of vehicle testing for Kia and Hyundai.

·
Been there, but forgot it
161 Posts
Boats. Our Gen Coupes are already a bit too big and too heavy. These are going way off in the wrong direction.

Reactions: shorttrack

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
822 Posts
If I had to guess, Genesis will be making a G60 (since the G70 seems to be a 4-door) that will be the next "Genesis Coupe." Competing against luxury coupes similar to the Infiniti Q60

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I had to guess, Genesis will be making a G60 (since the G70 seems to be a 4-door) that will be the next "Genesis Coupe." Competing against luxury coupes similar to the Infiniti Q60

Hmmmmm :dunno:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-genesis-coupe-coming-by-2020-hyundai-trademark-points-to-gt70-name-119288.html

According to Genesis’ roadmap for future vehicles, the yet-unnamed two-door luxobarge is scheduled to arrive sometime in 2019 and go on sale for the 2020 model year. Besides the timing, the remaining official information we have on johnny-come-lately is “near luxury sport coupe.”

The description, as more eagle-eyed readers might have guessed by now, suggests that Genesis will adapt the BMW 3 Series-rivaling G70 to a two-door design. This, in turn, means New York Concept-inspired exterior styling, Kia Stinger GT-based twin-turbo V6 firepower for the range-topping derivative, sporty handling, and at least one hybrid powertrain.

Genesis makes a case for the G70 as being a true driver’s sedan, which is why the two-door adaptation should be even more focused on bringing smiles in the twisties. Based on filings with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Genesis could slap the GT70 label to its all-new coupe.

Other than GT70, Motor Authority also found that Genesis has the rights to use the marks GT60, GT80, and GT90. It’s not hard to imagine what GT80 and GT90 could mean if the automaker is willing to add a second body style to its luxurious sedans, but we’re a bit baffled by the GT60 trademark.

Could Genesis be planning a sub-G70 model that will serve as the basis for the GT60? Some say that patience is a virtue, and as things stand now, the only thing we can do is wait patiently for the South Korean automaker to open up in detail about its future vehicles

·
Bill
587 Posts
speculating about what they'll do in 2 years may be entertaining but i doubt what they actually do will even be what they think they'll do...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hmmmmm :dunno:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-genesis-coupe-coming-by-2020-hyundai-trademark-points-to-gt70-name-119288.html

According to Genesis’ roadmap for future vehicles, the yet-unnamed two-door luxobarge is scheduled to arrive sometime in 2019 and go on sale for the 2020 model year. Besides the timing, the remaining official information we have on johnny-come-lately is “near luxury sport coupe.”

The description, as more eagle-eyed readers might have guessed by now, suggests that Genesis will adapt the BMW 3 Series-rivaling G70 to a two-door design. This, in turn, means New York Concept-inspired exterior styling, Kia Stinger GT-based twin-turbo V6 firepower for the range-topping derivative, sporty handling, and at least one hybrid powertrain.

Genesis makes a case for the G70 as being a true driver’s sedan, which is why the two-door adaptation should be even more focused on bringing smiles in the twisties. Based on filings with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Genesis could slap the GT70 label to its all-new coupe.

Other than GT70, Motor Authority also found that Genesis has the rights to use the marks GT60, GT80, and GT90. It’s not hard to imagine what GT80 and GT90 could mean if the automaker is willing to add a second body style to its luxurious sedans, but we’re a bit baffled by the GT60 trademark.

Could Genesis be planning a sub-G70 model that will serve as the basis for the GT60? Some say that patience is a virtue, and as things stand now, the only thing we can do is wait patiently for the South Korean automaker to open up in detail about its future vehicles

Sounds terrible. Wrong direction. Overpriced luxury coupes from subpar manufacturers? No thanks.

I do like how the Stinger looks, but to get the TTv6 you'll probably pay $50k for it easy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I drove a G80 during my (last at Stealership-long story) 5 hour oil change yesterday. What a fantastic car. Not my cup of tea...but if you need a sedan that checks every box a check would like to have, this is your automobile.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts