Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Details... need details.
when does it happen? Turning? Going over bumps? Moving forward? backwards? sitting idle?
When the car is cold? hot? on fire?
Did you attempt to test anything, like remove the tools from trunk? any extra thing that you may have put into the trunk? bags? boxes? corpse? Something that may have gotten into the spare tire area?

·
Registered
65 Posts
definitely look in the trunk.. (not that it will solve your problem but eliminate the possibility).. I've learned that the trunk of my genesis is a garbage disposal. It will consume and hide any small items that get back there (my old tiburon used to do the same.. ) When I first got my genesis I heard a knocking mainly when turning but it went away so idk what the issue was. :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Details... need details.
when does it happen? Turning? Going over bumps? Moving forward? backwards? sitting idle?
When the car is cold? hot? on fire?
Did you attempt to test anything, like remove the tools from trunk? any extra thing that you may have put into the trunk? bags? boxes? corpse? Something that may have gotten into the spare tire area?
There is nothing in my trunk. I notice it more when cold on turns and bumps. I took my GT in and they said everything was tight. They did not hear it.

I totalled that one at 2k.. I have had the Track for 5 days and it is doing it now.

·
Registered
544 Posts
By looking in the trunk look under the mat. My jack was moving around after I but my winters on, so I turned the adjuster until it was a little more snug in the foam. I took a couple of clean rags and wrapped up the tow hooks. Check your spare is nice and tight.

Took away some of the clunking, but cars seem to make more noises when it's colder.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
On my GT it did it and now on my new Track.. It sounds like boards knocking each other in thr truck area... :dunno:
Mine's doing the same thing, I brought mine in also and the said everything in the suspension was tight and that they couldn't find anything. I had taken everything out of the trunk including all the stuff under the mat, those foam insets containing the jack on one side and the pouch of tools on the other before having it checked. The only thing I didn't take out is the spare itself but I've got that screwed down so tight I probably won't be able to get it out if I ever get a flat.

Mine does it when I go over a bunch of bumps in the road that are one after the other, won't do it if it's just one small bump. It is more pronounced now that it's colder but that might be because there are more bumps in the road because of the unevenness caused by frozen snow on the roads.

I first noticed something was up when I was leaving my entrance at home. I always back into my driveway so when I'm leaving I can just drive out. As I'm driving out there is like a 2 inch drop at the end of the driveway and I'm always turning left as I leave. The 2 front tires drop off at the same time and there is no noise from the front suspension. Then as I turn left, the passenger side rear tire makes the drop first... no noise, but then when the drivers side comes down it makes a thunk/knock.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
My project for this weekend is to lift the car up on jack stands & torque every single suspension, steering & brake component according the Hyundai Service website torque specs that I printed & see if anything is loose. I will disclose my findings once all done. I figure to find at least one bolt or nut loose to say the least.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
-If the sound is a "clack" it's most likely the sway bars and the end links need to be tightened. Sometimes difficult since the bolts on the endlinks also spin. I have had some mechanics just "zap" the endlink nuts with an impact wrench and say they were good but they weren't. They needed a good quarter to half turn before they click on my TQ wrench.
-If the sound is a low "thud", it may be the wheels slamming into the ground. This is the sound I get. I seem to 3 wheel more often, often after being lowered, even going over speed bumps.

Not sure what other sounds come from the trunk area.
"Whirring of the LSD?"

My project for this weekend is to lift the car up on jack stands & torque every single suspension, steering & brake component according the Hyundai Service website torque specs ... snip
Been there, done that. Went crazy, then accepted the "thud" as normal.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
http://www.gencoupe.com/general-discussion/36297-rear-end-noise.html

My guess is the LSD

I never heard any noise untill I put the LSD in my car. It only happens on slow turn or bumps. I thought maybe I messed up something (I know I need alignment fixed) but I tq'd all hte bolts to spec, so it can't be a lose bolt, I double verified that. I guess when one of the helical gears goes around if the conditions are right is 'skips' a 'smacking' something? I never took apart a torsen so I am not 100% sure what it looks like inside, but for the conditions when it happens, it has to be the LSD. Whether it is bad or not I have yet to find out.

It sounds like a springy thump to me. Like when you push a spring, it is kind of creaky/notchy sounding. Hard to desribe but very distinct.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.gencoupe.com/general-discussion/36297-rear-end-noise.html

My guess is the LSD

I never heard any noise untill I put the LSD in my car. It only happens on slow turn or bumps. I thought maybe I messed up something (I know I need alignment fixed) but I tq'd all hte bolts to spec, so it can't be a lose bolt, I double verified that. I guess when one of the helical gears goes around if the conditions are right is 'skips' a 'smacking' something? I never took apart a torsen so I am not 100% sure what it looks like inside, but for the conditions when it happens, it has to be the LSD. Whether it is bad or not I have yet to find out.

It sounds like a springy thump to me. Like when you push a spring, it is kind of creaky/notchy sounding. Hard to desribe but very distinct.

Ok... I am a woman and do not add anything to my car. What is LSD?? This car is only 6 days old.. My other was only 4 months old.. :confused:

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
I have the same issue when I turn right into an incline, such as a slightly elevated driveway. Yes, it sounds like a board was sliding around in the trunk.

I do not have a limited slip differential (LSD) as my car is a 3.8 base model.

My buddy has a white 3.8 track and he's noticed this as well.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I have the same issue when I turn right into an incline, such as a slightly elevated driveway. Yes, it sounds like a board was sliding around in the trunk.

I do not have a limited slip differential (LSD) as my car is a 3.8 base model.

My buddy has a white 3.8 track and he's noticed this as well.
This is similar to my sound ^^^ when I back out of my driveway at an angle & the car is off camber putting the body in flex, it sounds like the suspension or rear axle pops. :dunno:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I live at the bottom of a dead-end street and when I get to the top to turn right, at a tree in the road ,there is an elevation change. I noticed that every time I make this turn the right-side tire spins briefly and traction control light comes on. After some investigation I discovered that this car is so stiff that as the car transitions from one street plane to the other the rear right side tire is coming off the ground. I've been driving this same route for 35 years in a lot of different cars but I've never had this happen before.

If your experiencing something similar it could be what's happening, if the traction control brakes the free spinning tire and then it makes contact with the pavement again the noise could be from the braking part or the tire making contact after having stopped spinning.

Just a thought.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
^^ This doesn't seem to be a traction issue.

This is similar to my sound ^^^ when I back out of my driveway at an angle & the car is off camber putting the body in flex, it sounds like the suspension or rear axle pops. :dunno:
Exactly. I've had that happen too when I back out of my driveway. I thought it had something to do with the flex in the car as well. I had a sunroof installed so I was worried that this messed something up. Perhaps the cold weather makes this more noticeable?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Took mine in today for that same issue, I have a "creaking" sound when I turn or go over bumps, said they tightened everything up (its near back right tire) and lube'd / oil'd some stuff....said it was gone. The second I pull out of the dealership it makes the noise lol. Even more noticeable now, I called back and rescheduled an appointment, this time I'm going to take the tech with me for a ride to hear it.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
I agree with checking the trunk. It likes to collect things in certain spots, and causes knocking/rattling.

One time I spilled 100 rounds of .40 caliber bullets in my trunk. It took me about 3 hours to get them all. And trust me, I had to make sure I counted all 100. Definitely not something you want to just leave bouncing in the trunk. heh

·
Registered
544 Posts
^^ This doesn't seem to be a traction issue.

Exactly. I've had that happen too when I back out of my driveway. I thought it had something to do with the flex in the car as well. I had a sunroof installed so I was worried that this messed something up. Perhaps the cold weather makes this more noticeable?
I think you missed the point I was trying to make. If, because of lack of flex in the frame, one of tires is no longer in contact with the ground, the TCS sees a spinning tire and applies braking. Because the tire is not in contact with the ground even minimal braking will cause the wheel to stop with a thud. When the, now motionless wheel, makes contact with the ground again, in forward or reverse motion, the wheel will klunk as it immediately starts to move again due to the contact and any slack in the drive train.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts