Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I posted in the KATA group about any updates or if this is just more vaporware....this should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Yeah, the KATA group, where they post videos pulling away from random cars on the freeway and claim they just "smoked" em. Bunch of lame ass **** there.
nice set up there, looks like you could pull away from some cars on the freeway.
I like it :) if you like mine, you should see Gowen's. He makes mine look slow.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What is this KATA group? Was not able to look them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
140 Posts
It's the "korean Automotive tuning Assocation" i just joined, said i had an 13 r-spec and some guy already was in my ass about red seats...lol
Some guy driving a FWD econobox with ugly wheels that thinks an intake gives him +25hp I'm sure

Sent from my mobile toaster oven.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The response when I asked what's going on with the release:

Corey Bell: "It's coming. There were some last minute issues discovered during pre-release testing. The software team was out on holiday vacation."

"It's coming" to me is as good as saying "the check is in the mail."

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
yeah, I was told by a rep that it was coming BEFORE Christmas and he got offended when I questioned him. Yet...where tf is it? It's ok if they still need time, but stop making promises on a delivery date.

·
Obsessed
1,176 Posts
The "It's coming" now is the same as it was in December, the same as it was in November, the same as it was in September, the same as it was in July. I feel the same way so many have said before, I remain hopeful but skeptical. I hope it comes out and is awesome, but I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'm not holding my breath and I suggest nobody else does either. I'd also wish good luck to those who, when/if it ever does come to market, try it first and find the first release bugs that are always in any first edition of anything.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I responded that "it's coming" is the same line we heard from DS for what, 3 years straight? Only for it to be constantly pushed back due to new domestic models coming out.

I really ****ing hate people/businesses that can't give an honest answer.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
I responded that "it's coming" is the same line we heard from DS for what, 3 years straight? Only for it to be constantly pushed back due to new domestic models coming out.

I really ****ing hate people/businesses that can't give an honest answer.
With DS I understand. 1) the domestic platforms have much easier ECU's to work with or are already supported, so it's a no-brainer for them. 2) They were bought by Holley, which is an american muscle company. I'm assuming though that the gen offering would end up with a similar package as the challenger which would require a modified ECU.

With Lap3 though, all they do is KDM, so what's up? Personally, I wouldn't care if they took another year if they would provide weekly updates. Even updates like, "****, Joe deleted all the code again" would be acceptable. Lap3 said it's a full solution including a tuning package which I imagine is holding them up based on their, "We've found bugs" updates. DS doesn't have that issue because you can write tunes using existing tuning software. Lap3 should have gone the same route. As an engineering consultant, I know that proprietary is 9/10 times never a good way to go.

I haven't heard anything from BTR except that, "it's coming" but so far they haven't given any dates (that I recall).

But we can get mad all day long about it, it doesn't change anything. We still have options like BTR and SFR and if you're diligent, you can get SFR to come to your town. They'll be in SoCal in Feb.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
With DS I understand. 1) the domestic platforms have much easier ECU's to work with or are already supported, so it's a no-brainer for them. 2) They were bought by Holley, which is an american muscle company. I'm assuming though that the gen offering would end up with a similar package as the challenger which would require a modified ECU.

With Lap3 though, all they do is KDM, so what's up? Personally, I wouldn't care if they took another year if they would provide weekly updates. Even updates like, "****, Joe deleted all the code again" would be acceptable. Lap3 said it's a full solution including a tuning package which I imagine is holding them up based on their, "We've found bugs" updates. DS doesn't have that issue because you can write tunes using existing tuning software. Lap3 should have gone the same route. As an engineering consultant, I know that proprietary is 9/10 times never a good way to go.

I haven't heard anything from BTR except that, "it's coming" but so far they haven't given any dates (that I recall).

But we can get mad all day long about it, it doesn't change anything. We still have options like BTR and SFR and if you're diligent, you can get SFR to come to your town. They'll be in SoCal in Feb.
I'm going to agree with the above. I'm lucky because I live 1 1/2 hr away from SFR so the tuning is available for me whenever I please. What isn't lucky is the fact that I purchased a stage 1 canned tune 3 months into owning the vehicle. Fine and dandy, but within a year a 1.5 update was released. Granted for a small fee I could of updated, but other users who did said to save the cash. Now, I'm going to be due for a custom tune and will have to pay again. Yes, I understand that regardless retunes cost money, but if a handheld had been or will be released; I could've jumped from basic tune, to mid upgrade, to final bolt on dyno. With the expectation that a one time fee was in place for handheld and the biggest factor; the ability to update the tune with every mod. Granted, I'm not a tuner, but I'm under the impression that handhelds should have some basic maps preloaded with the ability to get others from people who upload them. Now lets say I decide to turbokit or stroke the engine.....I'll be stuck once again paying for a custom tune.

What gets me going the most out of everything is the fact that owners who have a handheld unit are so quick to dismiss the coupe owners and them wanting options/better solutions. In my situation, I'm on deadline. SFR does a discounted dyno custom day in the Spring usually on a Saturday. If I miss having my bolt ons and car squared away 100%; welp its either pay full price or wait again for a couple of months for another discount day. I can't imagine what some owners go through with high HP builds who are forced to drive unsafely tuned cars or gather enough support to have tuner come somewhere near them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm thinking maybe I should get on the dark web and see if we can't find a hacker and coding team to find a solution... They will probably need an ECU to play with though... And I'm sure they have time to do it. Just don't know what the price range would be. Any one interested in a vague venture?

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
For the most part, most of the people waiting for Lap3 have the wrong impression. You can't just slap a turbo on a 3.8, plug in the Lap3 and push the "I added a turbo" button. We're going to see a lot of blown motors and people crying that Lap3 ruined their car.

What Lap3 does is opens the door for the gen community to take advantage of experienced tuners. There are thousands of well known, proven tuners out there in other communities and having a solution where you can use Lap3 to load a tune that a tuner sent you, data log and work with your tuner to get the car where you want it is where the benefit is, not that you personally can fire up the tuning software and start changing things.

That's why people should be excited (and frustrated) about Lap3. It opens the doors for the community to get to the next level.

·
Registered
668 Posts

I somewhat agree in re: to DS, but they constantly said "oh, we're getting close", "We're working on it!", etc for 3yrs. I know they mainly deal with Domestics, that's fine, but they strung us all along like it was going to be an actual product.

Then, as you said, they were bought out by Holley, which DSMike said in their forum back in August "Diablosport became part of Holley, who moved us to the Powerteq group with Superchips and Edge.
theres a whole new group of people making decisions, but one of the first things they decided to look into was Hyundai, and there are a few engineers doing feasibility studies and going over everything we accomplished on this platform in the past to determine what needs to be done to bring it ot market."

And that was the last update which leads me to believe they're not working on anything related to Hyundai at this point. The bold part is laughable b/c I highly doubt a company that mainly deals with Domestics said "hey guys! let's look into what we can do for Hyundai owners first and foremost!"

Either way, I already have a tune (it needs a little work) so whatever. I just wanted a handheld I could bring to a local tuner to have them work their magic.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
For the most part, most of the people waiting for Lap3 have the wrong impression. You can't just slap a turbo on a 3.8, plug in the Lap3 and push the "I added a turbo" button. We're going to see a lot of blown motors and people crying that Lap3 ruined their car.

What Lap3 does is opens the door for the gen community to take advantage of experienced tuners. There are thousands of well known, proven tuners out there in other communities and having a solution where you can use Lap3 to load a tune that a tuner sent you, data log and work with your tuner to get the car where you want it is where the benefit is, not that you personally can fire up the tuning software and start changing things.

That's why people should be excited (and frustrated) about Lap3. It opens the doors for the community to get to the next level.
Most definitely. Again, I'm not a tuner, but I can be trusted to download/upload a map with basic bolt ons intake/exhaust. Then upload another map when headers or intake porting is done. Or if I want a performance mode/long road trip gas saving mode. I would NOT however slap on a turbo and willy nilly expect a map uploaded from someone to magically work without issues. This is where a professional would have to step in for me and make the adjustments on the fly with a dyno and live feedback for safety. Nor do I want to adjust timing/fuel trims, etc on my own.

What I want the most is the ability to keep updating my ECU as the mods are installed or to switch between 3 different presets depending on driving conditions. And when/if I go for big HP, not being locked into tuning events or traveling because trusted local tuners will have access. Of course, due diligence will be necessary when choosing someone else besides the status quo.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is exactly what id expect to see on the only US based Genesis Coupe forum. Like I said earlier, you'd think they would be all up in here, garnering interest through quick postings, seeing what features people might want to see included in the software like "Hey guys, how would you like it if we made it to where your dome light blinked whenever you see over 5* of timing retard?" or "We can make an option to turn your oem boost/torque gauge into a fancy voltmeter!" But they are non-existent for a platform that will make a good deal of money to them.

At this point, im thinking on doing the SFR event just to help the GC Community because how the universe works for me, as soon as I get that tune the next week Lap3 will be released lol.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I'm about to upgrade my turbo to a td06HR-20g so get it out asap

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I intend to tune my car myself (been tuning my own cars and other peoples cars for over 15 years now)

will LAP3 allow me to tune my own car or is this only designed so that you have to pay big $$$ to get the license to tune yourself?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I will hazard a guess.... after looking over the most of the threads here and elsewhere, I would think you (and everyone else) will have to purchase the Uncle Module, which probably will have a canned tune in it(may not), then you will have to purchase the software for tuning, which may,or may not require licensing each vehicle. .

TJ

141 - 160 of 227 Posts