Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start by saying I have an automatic. I'm not exactly sure what everyone's definition of "launching" is but mine is when you hold the break to the floor and slowly give it gas until around 2,000RPM and then let of the brake and floor the gas (at the same time). I was wondering if doing this hurts my car? I assume it does and have looked around for answers but could not find any. Also if I get launch control with a tune, what exactly will this do?

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Launching is a difficult topic unless you have a GTR. Technique will depend on your car, the setup and your experience. You don't want to hold the brake and gas at the same time for very long as your torque converter will heat the trans fluid up very quickly and you'll build engine heat as well. Launching can be very hard on your car. The more traction you have the harder it is on the components like your drive shaft, diff, axles, etc. That's why it's important that you beef up your parts. For a manual, you can dump the clutch but you have a sudden impact which will jolt the drive train. You can also ride the clutch but that will cause premature wear.

Low RPM launches is one technique that can work for you while learning.

This is only my opinion. I'm very much a novice at launching myself. I'm more of a from a 30-roll and a twisties/track kind of guy. Digs are hard on the car and IMO our cars aren't that great from a dig.

Reactions: Matteo705

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you've got the 2.0T the ecu won't let you build any real boost while the brake pedal contact is made (I think some tunes change this ). If stock your best bet is just to move your foot quickly from brake to gas , traction control off, auto in "manual" mode, modulate throttle to maintain minimum wheel spin. Trans will upshift automatically at redline in each gear. Other than tire wear you shouldn't do any damage to your car this way.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
yeah the 5AT transmission wont let you actually "launch" the car. once it realizes you are trying to effectively brake boost it will cut throttle.

You can only do a low RPM, very light throttle, launch on this car. It does kinda suck, but if you watch what you are doing it actually works out pretty well, due to the fact you aren't leaving the line with any boost, so you wont shred the tires once you let off the brake.

Oh and you cant brake boost in the car either, on the factory tune anyway.. Which blows dogs for quarters...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the 5AT transmission wont let you actually "launch" the car. once it realizes you are trying to effectively brake boost it will cut throttle.

You can only do a low RPM, very light throttle, launch on this car. It does kinda suck, but if you watch what you are doing it actually works out pretty well, due to the fact you aren't leaving the line with any boost, so you wont shred the tires once you let off the brake.

Oh and you cant brake boost in the car either, on the factory tune anyway.. Which blows dogs for quarters...
Blows dogs for quarters?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Blows dogs for quarters?
Yes lol. Blows dogs for quarters... this terms is generally used when something is not very enjoyable, and has very little return for you.....

Such as blowing a dog.......... For quarters lol.

·
Registered
404 Posts
LMAO... Yep... That tears it, I have officially heard everything.... Rofl...

Ahhhh dam that hurts....

TJ

·
Registered
404 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how similar the ecu in the GC is to my Hemi truck, AT only in the truck and if you tried a power brake it would pull timing and kill your 1/4...
Glad I got the manual in the GC....

TJ

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
When I read this I'm like "Thank the lord I have manual" lol...

Reactions: kepone

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
All auto trans have some kind of self protection programming , neutral dropping is about the only stupid thing most people can do to them. That's why buying a used automatic car is almost always much safer than a used manual one.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
If you are trying to launch the car at a drag strip, you can unplug the brake light switch.

Sure, your brake lights wont work.. but you'll be able to brake boost from a stop. lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just have to wonder... If the ecu detects clutch down and above normal rpms if it would not pull timing as a form of torque management? Would not surprise me a bit and would be a good reason why these cars do not quarter very well.

TJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another thing to note, If you dont have a LSD your launch will only spin 1 tire.

I wouldnt bother launching if you dont have a Rspec and i agree 100% that these cars suck at a dig.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts