Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

LED strip as footwell lighting

9K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Drayko315 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm trying to install led strips as footwell lighting and I was wondering if any of you guys have done it on your Gens? I've tried to look for other thread but I only found them for the 2012 and under models. Is there a fuse by the driver side door that I can tap into? I'm trying to get them to turn on when the door opens/ car unlocks. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
I did it a while back in my 13 2.0T. Mine come on with the ignition though. I got a fuse tap ( something like this one ), used one of the fuses on the driver's side, tucked the wires up above the pedals and ran the power/ground to a space in the middle of the console up by the firewall. the front LED strips are tucked into the lower vents and the rears are run under the plastic of the center console and come out under the front seats for rear footwell lighting.

#28 ·
I did it a while back in my 13 2.0T. Mine come on with the ignition though. I got a fuse tap ( something like this one ), used one of the fuses on the driver's side, tucked the wires up above the pedals and ran the power/ground to a space in the middle of the console up by the firewall. the front LED strips are tucked into the lower vents and the rears are run under the plastic of the center console and come out under the front seats for rear footwell lighting.
Old post I know, but I have the same issue except mines a lil more involved and I can't figure it out.... I bought some opt7 sidekick led strips, I have the ground hooked to the body, the blinkers spliced into the blinkers, and when I hook the courtesy wire up to the positive on the sil plate led the light always stays on. But if I switch the ground to the sil plate ground wire it works perfectly but then the blinker part doesn't work?... Any ideas? Anyone? I've tried tapping into almost every possible courtesy light with same result.

#7 ·
I can't remember offhand which ones they are, but you can just tap into your map lights. The wires run from the lights, down the A pillars and to the fuses so you should have plenty to tap into since your fuse isn't behaving correctly. Or if you have the illuminated door sill, you can just pop those up and tap into them real easy.

#10 ·
I didn't use a fuse tap because I didn't have one on hand. Do you think that's why it didn't work or it doesn't matter? Mine would stay on even when I turned the car off. I disconnected it for the one being so it doesn't mess any thing up.

#17 ·
if you dont mind, let me know your success with this, I was considering doing this exact mod on my 2015 ultimate because I wanted blue foot well lighting when I open the door / shortly after.

What would be cool is if you could somehow wire the switch with a 3 way switch. first push of the map light - floor well, second push - floor well and map light, third - all off.

#18 ·
What would be cool is if you could somehow wire the switch with a 3 way switch. first push of the map light - floor well, second push - floor well and map light, third - all off.
If I'm thinking about this right, that wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. You would need a rocker type SPDT switch kind of like the OTRATTW style switches.
I'm not sure how it would work if you wanted the footwells to come on when you open the door. You could probably still make it happen, but not 100% about that.

To do the 3 way switch just run a power wire from up by the map lights to the top output of the switch. That should turn on the maps from pushing up.
For the second push (bottom) you would need to connect a power wire that runs to the map and a power wire that runs to the footwell lights. You could actually probably just tap into the previous map wire from the top part of the switch. Then just 12v source to power the lights run into the switch and a ground and you should be good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.