Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, after my SRF re-tune at the El Paso tuning event, i noticed i get some light white smoke that billows out of the exhaust when im at idle and sitting for about 30 secs to about a min. say like when im at a red light.

it goes away after i get going again.
i changed out the spark plugs to the 1 step colder NGK's and also changed the oil when i got back. i also checked all around my engine bay and cant find any signs of coolant leakage. also checked the coolant lines on the turbo and they are good to go. i also checked the dip stick to see if i had the "chocolate milk" so hopefully that tells me i shouldnt have to worry about the head gasket.

im pretty sure its coolant im burning, as the white smoke has that weird sweet smell to it. also im stupid low on coolant in my reservoir. ill have to run by the stealership to pick up a jug as none of the part stores around me know which coolant to give me...(-_-)

i also plan on changing my oil again, just in case there is any coolant in it, and to see the how the oil is looking when i drain it.

anyone have any other ideas? anything else i should check? please hit me up asap. really want to not worry about anything happening due to not finding out why this is going on. thanks in advance!!!

·
buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
Open the radiator and see. That's just a overflow reservoir

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just waiting on her to cool down a bit. ill take a peek here in a few.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Open the radiator and see. That's just a overflow reservoir
opened the Rad up, can see any coolant just looking looking at the small tube right there under the cap as it takes a 90 degree right after the cap, should the coolant be filled to just under the rad cap?

·
buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
Crap forgot about that. No you won't always see fluid there

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Easiest way before you go crazy on fluid shops is to buy, rent, or have a trusted mechanic due a coolant pressure test for you. That will check all seals, radiator, hoses, etc. If that seems ok, you can easily check the head gasket by pulling the spark plugs and looking for any that show signs of coolant on the plug. May be simpler to check those routes.

As for what coolant to use, I don't know if it is different from the 3.8 V6 (I would assume no) the Peak Global Lifetime fluid is the only one I have found to meet Hyundai standards and work without issue and is what I run. Found it at Walmart and Walgreens.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey wildbill what does coolant on the plugs look like? Distinct color?

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Hey wildbill what does coolant on the plugs look like? Distinct color?
Actually no. The plug would be ridiculously clean if you're burning coolant.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol well they are brand new plugs in there so...yea. haha ill check the plugs I pulled out before. They were super clean when I pulled them though. Thanks steve!

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Lol well they are brand new plugs in there so...yea. haha ill check the plugs I pulled out before. They were super clean when I pulled them though. Thanks steve!
You're welcome! Basically if you're burning coolant it steam cleans the plugs. They wouldnt have any carbon and they'd look relatively new.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea they werent new looking at all. Hopefully that just means its not the head gasket!!? Lol I can hope right? Haha

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Yea they werent new looking at all. Hopefully that just means its not the head gasket!!? Lol I can hope right? Haha
Post pictures of your plugs.. What does the oil on your dipstick look like?

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ill take some pics tonight at work. Dipstick didnt give me the "chocolate milk" sign of a bad headgasket. Maybe im just over thinking this? Maybe just condensation? Does the gen throw any cel's for a headgasket?

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Ill take some pics tonight at work. Dipstick didnt give me the "chocolate milk" sign of a bad headgasket. Maybe im just over thinking this? Maybe just condensation? Does the gen throw any cel's for a headgasket?
Take off your oil cap and look at the top side of it :)

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you mean the bottom of the oil cap or look down into the head?

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
do you mean the bottom of the oil cap or look down into the head?

Look inside the cap :rofl: We both could have worded those statements better.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah hahaha. ill warm up the car here in a few mins. i just took a pic of the plugs. posting in a sec.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
see...not brand new or clean by any means...

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those were the stock plugs. ive been running them the whole time. i just upgraded to a step colder when i noticed the smoke.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts