Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 3.8 gen coupe grand touring

Started having trouble stuck in limited power mode any help? Everything seems fine after code refresh but still kicks in after a min, not allowing over 2krpm with 1300 idle.

Changed the plugs gapped at .038
Coils are fine
Cam sensors ok

Gaskets were kinda fucked swapped them

Here are the codes I'm pulling maybe throttle body has tanked on me?

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
With that many things, and you mentioning gaskets (implying something was removed, and then put back), I would check for any engine electrical grounds that you might have missed.

Another thing is, did you hose down/clean your engine bay? Water might have gotten into the connector for the crank sensor.
Drivers side, look down along the firewall, you should see a single wire coming from the transmission bell housing. Follow that up to were the connector for it is, somewhere behind the engine.
disconnect it and blow out both sides with canned or compressed air, to get rid of any water that might have gotten back there. Plug it back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your opinion, very much appreciated.

I'll check this afternoon after work and get back to you on my findings.
With that many things, and you mentioning gaskets (implying something was removed, and then put back), I would check for any engine electrical grounds that you might have missed.

Another thing is, did you hose down/clean your engine bay? Water might have gotten into the connector for the crank sensor.
Drivers side, look down along the firewall, you should see a single wire coming from the transmission bell housing. Follow that up to were the connector for it is, somewhere behind the engine.
disconnect it and blow out both sides with canned or compressed air, to get rid of any water that might have gotten back there. Plug it back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts

My gap was wrong on my plugs and, It had simular issues. Called the dealer and, yep..plugs have to be set at .040 or it will run like crap

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
My gap was wrong on my plugs and, It had simular issues. Called the dealer and, yep..plugs have to be set at .040 or it will run like crap
Ummm, no. Early issues of the factory service manuals had incorrect spark gaps. it's suppose to be 0.032
If you know the model number of the spark plugs, you ALWAYS go by spark plug manufacturer's gap spec. Auto manufacturers practically design the cylinder chambers around the spark plugs they intend to use.

Denso and NGK plugs are pre-gapped with a cardboard barrel to protect it in the packaging.

if you are using copper plugs, and it eventually starts running like crap, it's because the discharge from the coils is greater than what the copper plugs are designed for, and are fouling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts