Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to clean the carbon build up for a bit now as my car just hit 100,000km. Has anyone ever used this ? If so how were the results and is this safe to use ?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Is your car bk1 or bk2, 6 or 4 cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Looks like Liquid molly is pore in the tank cleaner, only cleans valves if you do not have direct injection.

If you do have direct injection, cleaner has to be introduced thru intake.

Best cleaning is done by removing you intake manifold and cleaning manually

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Advenio Pariter
3,939 Posts
If you use a tank additive make sure it has PEA in it like Techron. A better cleaning is through the throttle body or introduced into the intake manifold. Taking the intake off is not practical since you have to blast the carbon off with a special tool.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just ran this with a BK2 GDI. Its is made for GDI's. 10 minutes easy, worked great apparently. First road trip to the lake this weekend I made 32 mpg average, and that was with me flying up a 2 mile hill at 135 mph. The trip was about 180 miles. Pretty much just drove 61 on state highways. 2 ramp launches and said hill bum rush.

This was recommended as yearly maintenance by my Hyundai expert buddy. I'll be doing this every May from now on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had great results with CRC GDI Intake Valve cleaner. I will spray into TB as someone keeps car from stalling, before I do an oil change. For manual cleaning of valves it works good as well. I do this about every 3rd oil change. (15k miles) Turn engine over until valves seat, fill with cleaner, and use picks/cable ties to scrape clean, then vacuum out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
All great responses. Here is one of the tools needed to walnut blast the valves. 30 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Watch nates interactive video on YouTube. He poured the liquid molly into a pressure sprayer and used that to spray into the engine. The VW he did had results than everything i seen (Seafoam,CRC) so far. I would like to see STP before and after.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My increased mileage is enough to sway me.

Scotty Kilmer made a video called 5 things stupid people buy for their car. Seafoam was number one item. He cited running it through a brand new motor, and it still smoked like a bitch, because its full of kerosene.

As my Hyundai guy stated, STPs are the same chemical used buy the dealers with their expensive GDI service. The stuff was so good I am running it through both my boats engines even though they are MPI...........

I will also use it annually when I buy my PHEV Sorrento which has a 1.6 turbo GDI.
I wont meth equip that beast, I have to keep the 10yr/100K warranty intact for the electric powertrain stuff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I kinda always knew the white smoke was the product. I can say the Seafoam did work as far at mpg increase. I am going to run STP before i walnut.
Try and get most of that sticky stuff off . I have pics of my valves from when i lit the ported upp/low manifolds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been wanting to clean the carbon build up for a bit now as my car just hit 100,000km. Has anyone ever used this ? If so how were the results and is this safe to use ?
All you have to do is drive your car on the highway about 70 mph and this will burn off any carbon deposits. Try it .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes and no. If will burn off alot of it. But a high mileage car that hasn't been done before it takes off some of it. The only way to get all of it is walnut blast or take if off manually with picks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All you have to do is drive your car on the highway about 70 mph and this will burn off any carbon deposits. Try it .
This was toll to me by a master mechanic with 50 years of experience, your engine will run smoother.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Smoother yes. I agree. I used Seafoam, crc etc...several times on many DI Cars over the years
However, what i stated above is fact. It will not clean 100%. I have pictures of mine before and after. It will help, gs mileage will increase. Still won't do a complete job. Even if you go on YouTube and look you will see that it never cleans them off completely.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
This was toll to me by a master mechanic with 50 years of experience, your engine will run smoother.
What he was trying to tell you is called an "Italian tune up". For a MPI system, its actually true. But GDI is different, the build up is not access by the fuel "wash" that occurs during your Italian tune ups. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts