Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I have a 2012 Genesis 3.8 Track/Auto. I've had the SFR canned 1.5 tune now for a few months with no issue what so ever. Been running Injen Short-Ram air intake, with the ARK Down Pipe\Test Pipe and Grip Exhaust..

I finally got my ARK headers ceramic coated and installed. (And have since put on the CNT defoulers for the upper O2) Literally since, I've had so many engine code issues and CEL's I don't know what is going on. Currently I'm getting both Sensor 1 O\2 Sensors running rich, slow respond to ECM and low circuit. Of course the loss of the cats is now triggering those codes as well. And I'm now getting a EVAP sensor error. None of this makes any sense.. And all I can smell is exhaust now like crazy. (Checked exhaust, it doesn't have any leaks)

My last 2011 Track 3.8 Auto; had the exact same upgrades; though I was running the BTR tune. If I recall the main thing BTR did was disable the upper o\2 sensors. Anyone got any ideas? I don't have a hand held scanner, so I've had to be forced to depend on Autozone to OBD2 scan for me. I'm trying to avoid replacing any more sensors as I replaced the MAF thinking it was blown...

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,056 Posts
Sir, I'm no expert, but shouldn't the O2 defoulers be installed downstream of the primary catalyst position- in the lower O2 ports? As you have it now, effectively the computer thinks the exhaust is getting dirtier as it goes through the catalyst. Do I have this wrong somehow?

Also, removing your primary cats is definitely going to make your car stink more, and simultaneously diminish the effectiveness of your secondary cats as the exhaust passing through them is now much cooler. Until you romp on it, the secondaries aren't going to get hot enough to do their job.

Also also, you're going to want to try and get to those header bolts(and all the other new exhaust bits too) when hot at least a couple times and make sure they're snug. You could have leaks that only show up when the system is hot. It's a real bummer, you'll scorch you're knuckles a lot, but it's good practice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update;

After feeling like an idiot, contacting Jay from SFR (and thank you for your support) and Mike from ARK Performance, and reading your post, I decided to jack the car up and look under it and see if I could notice anything. The upper O2 port was in fact where the defouler was, the shop that did the install said that is where it needed to be, so that wasn't a surprise... then..

When I reached up to the O2 Sensor it nearly fell out of the passenger side upstream, and the entire defouler 90degree unit was lose and not tight. So thought was simple; they didn't do their install right, just remove the defouler and tighten the O2... well sadly the defouler doesn't have space to just be removed with out moving the header. So.. option 2 came; saw'ed the mofo out. (yes, we really did this.) unscrewed it, and put the upstream back in correctly.

Then we went to the driver side; and what would know? The EXACT same issue. It was also on by maybe 3 threads. We repeated the same process. (The Driver side up-stream O2 Sensor seems hella short.. but its back on properly).

Reset the computer; and test drive it about 15miles. No CEL yet; and the MPG went from 9-11Mpg back to 20-30mpg.

When I called the shop they wanted me to bring it back to them so they could "look at what they could do" after the first two experiences with them being beyond proper their was no way in hell I was taking it back to them.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,056 Posts
Wow, drama. Well, now it's sorted and you learned a little bit in the process. That's what we're here for, right? I'm happy you're back up and running!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts