Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read other posts and I still wanted to post my own question. I was just told by our repair shop that our engine has locked up. They said it was the starter which already cost $960. Now they have said we need a new engine which is going to cost us $4k. The car started up one morning and then it stopped and never started again. I really don’t have $4k for a new engine. There was no check engine light or any oil leaking. I hear the click like the engine wants to turn but it doesn’t.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,989 Posts
You should be able to turn it by hand at the crank bolt with a breaker bar and the right socket going clockwise. Taking the spark plugs out would make it a lot easier.

Put a white mark on the belt to see if any movement even tries with the starter. If none then try and turn it counter clockwise just a bit to see if it goes in that direction.

Might be a broken timing chain that is jammed?

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
168 Posts
I have read other posts and I still wanted to post my own question. I was just told by our repair shop that our engine has locked up. They said it was the starter which already cost $960. Now they have said we need a new engine which is going to cost us $4k. The car started up one morning and then it stopped and never started again. I really don’t have $4k for a new engine. There was no check engine light or any oil leaking. I hear the click like the engine wants to turn but it doesn’t.
Did you find out if it was really locked up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts