Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here. I'm going to look at a BK2 (2014) tomorrow at a dealership (not Hyundai) and I'm wondering what should I keep an eye out for? Reading some of the pages here and watching a few vids, I take it I should be concerned about water leaks, the 6 speed (5 to 6 grind), timing chain, drive shaft guibo bushings, what else? The car I'm going to look at has about 55k miles on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2013 and yeah when I wash it the trunk has a bunch of water in it. Not sure if they fixed that after that year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other thing I forgot to add. My other car is an AP1 Honda S2000. I'm wondering what the handling is like with the Genesis. I know it's a heavier car, some 400lbs or so but if the suspension is tuned from the factory to perform in a similar way to the S2K that would be a definite bonus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm running fully adjustable coil overs so it's a solid stiff ride for me. Would recommend them if you're looking to customize a little.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, first post here. I'm going to look at a BK2 (2014) tomorrow at a dealership (not Hyundai) and I'm wondering what should I keep an eye out for? Reading some of the pages here and watching a few vids, I take it I should be concerned about water leaks, the 6 speed (5 to 6 grind), timing chain, drive shaft guibo bushings, what else? The car I'm going to look at has about 55k miles on it.

Thanks.
At 55k, as long as basic maintenance was done, you should be golden! Check for any mods, as that would indicate possible "spirited" driving. Check for water in trunk (tailight gaskets), If you get it, add oil catch can soon as possible. I bought my '13 GT with 67k miles and I'm at almost 100k now a year later. It is my Daily Driver and sees 750 miles+ a week. I have no regrets with buying this car, and love this platform. If you can get a good price, pull the trigger!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 2013 and yeah when I wash it the trunk has a bunch of water in it. Not sure if they fixed that after that year.
I had a 13 R-Spec 2.0T that had the water in the trunk issue. I had new "gaskets" installed behind the taillights. As I recall, that helped alot, but I had already had water sit in the trunk and on 1 occasion the water spilled into the back seat floor. There was rust in the trunk from the water... I now have a 2015 3.8 that I bought 2 years ago with under 12k miles. Taillights leaked slightly, but I knew to look for that issue. I just put tape over the top seem and no more issues.

So, look under the spare tire to make sure there isn't any rust spots from water getting in through the taillights. Even thought there was supposedly a better foam "gasket" in 2014, most all of these will have that issue. Just a shitty design.

ominousone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running fully adjustable coil overs so it's a solid stiff ride for me. Would recommend them if you're looking to customize a little.
If I get one I plan to autocross it so I might upgrade the shocks a bit but not enough to put me out of stock class. I'm running Koni Yellows in the S2000.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 55k, as long as basic maintenance was done, you should be golden! Check for any mods, as that would indicate possible "spirited" driving. Check for water in trunk (tailight gaskets), If you get it, add oil catch can soon as possible. I bought my '13 GT with 67k miles and I'm at almost 100k now a year later. It is my Daily Driver and sees 750 miles+ a week. I have no regrets with buying this car, and love this platform. If you can get a good price, pull the trigger!
Thanks. They want $18,700 for this one. I think that's a bit high for a 6 year old car - a 2015, 6 model years old. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of $15K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I test drove the 2014 Genesis Coupe today, was impressed with the torque. Wish the S2K had that much. The 6 speed felt good. The salesman let me take some backroads to test the spiritedness (he's new to auto sales) so I was happy we did more than the "around the block" drive. Maybe it's me and because I have new Koni Yellows on the S but the Gensis front end seemed a bit floaty. And I didn't realize the car was so heavy (4300 lbs and change). I thought they were more in the 3400 range. Still a nice car, haven't decided though. Might look at some other cars too just to keep options open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I looked at the VIN plate on the driver's door sill it said 4343 lbs. This was the 3.8 Ultimate edition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind, I didn't notice at the time that's the cross weight (max limit weight) and not the curb weight. I guess I was so shocked when I saw the number it didn't dawn on me at the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Understandable. The gen would probably be a slouch at 4300lbs! The price they are asking is on par with the prices around me. I don’t think you would regret buying it! I have a 2011 3.8 track m/t and a 2013 3.8 gt A/t that my wife drives

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the paint on the plastic bits, bumpers, tail, especially the rocker panels. not sure when or if the problem was fixed but the clear coat would peel on the plastic. Definitely has on mine.
see if tail lights have a red surround on them vs black surround. that will tell you if the tail light leak recall has been fixed. the surround I mention is when you open the trunk and the color of the plastic around the taillight that is touching the car under the trunk
55k miles is good. I have 90k on my 2013.
check to see if AC is cold. my condenser had to be replaced under warranty
check to see if heat works out of the upper vents when the hvac system is in auto mode. mine all of a sudden only puts heat out of the lower feet vents now unless I manually swtich it to upper vents only
check head unit operation. mine blue screened a lot and was ultimately replaced under warranty
do NOT run this car with lowering springs only. You must use a coilover set up or lowering springs with shocks meant for lowered vehicles like the Bilstein B8's
the transmission sucks, plain and simple. buy the megan racing transmission mount (bushing) on day one

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
see if tail lights have a red surround on them vs black surround. that will tell you if the tail light leak recall has been fixed. the surround I mention is when you open the trunk and the color of the plastic around the taillight that is touching the car under the trunk
55k miles is good. I have 90k on my 2013.
check to see if AC is cold. my condenser had to be replaced under warranty
check to see if heat works out of the upper vents when the hvac system is in auto mode. mine all of a sudden only puts heat out of the lower feet vents now unless I manually swtich it to upper vents only
check head unit operation. mine blue screened a lot and was ultimately replaced under warranty
do NOT run this car with lowering springs only. You must use a coilover set up or lowering springs with shocks meant for lowered vehicles like the Bilstein B8's
the transmission sucks, plain and simple. buy the megan racing transmission mount (bushing) on day one
The tail light surround under the trunk is red. I did notice that and thought it was a little unusual. Good idea about the HVAC, vents and head unit. I don't know why but I didn't test them on the one I drove but I will on subsequent ones or if I go back to that one.

Didn't look like there were lowering springs in it. Here's a pic of the one I test drove. It loos pretty normal to me but I'm a Genesis novice.

The trans did shake a little at cold idle but stopped after it warmed up. Is that normal or are the mounts going already?

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is stock height. Looks good too. the sloppy trans is oem and not a problem. Just getting the meghan mount firms it up a lot and makes it feel like it should. This is a nice transition from the S2K. Especially with the interior. To this day I still feel this cars interior is nice other than it being 110% black. Wish they offered color options in the Ultimate trim level. This car handles good but no where as nimble as a super light weight S2K. This car will hang with pre 2015 Camaro SS and Mustang GTs. 4th gear in this car is AMAZING and you can surprise a lot of cars around 80 mph - 120 mph. 0 to 60 is around 6 seconds. The lighter weight R-Specs trim levels are around low 5's if I recall. I have done several tasteful mods to mine but without a doubt the best mod has been my Solo Performance cat back exhaust. Looks like this car already has an exhaust

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it does have an aftermarket exhaust, Magnaflow if I remember right. Are you saying the 3.8 in R Spec will handle closer to how the S2K handles and be a bit quicker in 0-60 times?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It will be be quicker 0-60 because it weighs less. The R-spec has a more stripped interior basically. R-spec is what people get when they actually plan on racing it vs a daily driver. It's basically a stripped down version but still has all of the racing important stuff like Brembo's, stabilizer bars, suspension tweak etc. Still will not handle like the S2K but better than the Ultimate due to slightly less weight. What you lose however is the heated seats, navigation, fog lights, HID head lights. Basically you lose the more expensive looking car. what you gain is the very easy ability to replace the aging head unit with something modern with apple car play and such. Plus you go do a tablet swap which is really cool. Basically put a double din apple car play unit down low and a tablet up top that monitors performance from the OBDII port. Less class more fast (rice) = R (racing)-spec. I think the r-spec comes with 18" wheels vs 19" wheels too which is better for auto crossing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts