Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple of weeks Im going to be purchasing a new car and Id like that car to be the 2011 2.0T R-Spec. I test drove it and the only issues I have with it is the shifting, and the turbo kicking in around 3500. Ive browsed the forum here looking for answers on the main downfall being the shifting and found some topics about it being rev hang and doing a re flash and then others who went with a short shifter and the bushings. I dont like the rev hang and the fact that you have to put your foot into the engine compartment to engage the clutch. I owned a tC and to solve it's shifting issues I picked up shifter cable bushings and that helped alot. Honestly if there is a way to fix the rev hang and long clutch travel Im totally sold on this car. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sweet i have a tc too. are you on scionlife?

i'm in the process to purchase a gen coupe as well. i test drove a 3.8, never drove a 2.0 but its ok i had my tc boosted. i'll eventually boost the V6.

·
Regular User
86 Posts
I haven't really looked into it with this car but I think the rev hang issue might get less troublesome over time. Someone stop me if I'm wrong but I think what happens is either the driver adapts to situation or the ECU might even learn or adapt.

Pure speculation, yes... worth trying the search, definitely. (not for me though because I have an AT)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, did some more reading and the rev hang seems like it can be somewhat fixed by a re flash or you get used to it. My main concern was the manual transmission. I've read that by switching to redline mt-90 and getting a short shifter and front shift bushings, the experience is a lot better and the shifts are smoothe.

Now my new dilemma, thanks to the bank, is to chose between the 2.0 and the 3.8, as now I can afford the r-spec for both.

As for the tC, yeah I am on scion life. Haven't had the tC for a while but it was a fun car. I was actually going to be buying the 2011 tC until I drove the 2.0t r-spec. Never boosted the tC though, but I wanted to. How did you like the 3.8. I think that's what I'll end up getting. Right around what I want hp wise, get an exhaust, intake.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Now my new dilemma, thanks to the bank, is to chose between the 2.0 and the 3.8, as now I can afford the r-spec for both.
Be sure to note there is no cruise control on the 3.8 R-spec, I forget on the 2.0T. I wish i would have known that so i'm just passing it on.

A lot of stuff seems to be starting production/R&D for the 3.8. It may be advisable to go with the 3.8 for that route, although the 2.0T can be made faster as of now without spending as much money, or at least that's what I gather.

I went with the 3.8 R-spec, btw, and the only gripe I have is the lack of cruise control.

The 2012 2.0T is supposedly getting the 2.0T Sonata engine so if you go that route I would wait until then.

If you are not planning to mod, stick with the 3.8

Take this for an opinion, I leased and regret leasing, I love the car and might buy it at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the cruise control. That does suck, alot, but wont be a deal breaker.

I was doing more searches and found the countless 2.0t vs 3.8 threads and came to the conclusion that while the 2.0t is easier to get hp quick, I dont have another car or downtime for excessive mods. Plus the idea of somewhat keeping a warranty gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside. I figure the 3.8 with I/H/E and a tune would make me pretty happy. Wish there was one to drive around here to compare with the 2.0.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
If basic bolt ons is all you're comfortable doing for warranty reasons, go with the 3.8 for sure. It has enough power out of the box to have a lot of fun with. No reason to compare to a stock 2.0. If you thought the stock 2.0 was fun you'll have a ball in the 3.8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.