Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Night team.
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:bowdown: Thank you for all the info GencoupeGeek!

I usually shoot full manual, but could still use some practice dialing in the settings exactly right.

That's a good idea, although I don't have much time to shoot during the way due to obligations, etc. I can usually catch the golden hour at sunset though. I have a lot more time to shoot at night.

That's a really good tip to look at the picture in black and white to see if it's interesting, I never thought of that before. Definitely gonna keep that in mind.

I've shot probably a few hundred pictures already, but only really have a handful of "keepers". :eek: Sometimes, I go through the old ones and ask myself what I could have done differently to get a better picture.

To end my post, I'll leave a link to a picture I really like! Took it this past week (don't worry, my friend was driving, it was on the way to his meet).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdo_photography/14545129497/

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Lots of things to keep in mind. :D

·
Night team.
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wanted to thank everyone that posted in here again for their advice - I've come a long way in the past few months!

Still have a lot of room to improve, and I learn something new every time I shoot, but all of this advice helped me make great strides in the right direction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdo_photography/ if you guys want to give what I've been up to a look-see. It's really interesting to see my style change from when I started until now. All shot with a 35 1.8, that's all my budget really has room for :p

Thanks again all.

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
I had a look at your shots, and I like what I see in terms of clean, not overblown post processing. I would suggest a few things to you though:

1) Car show photography or "spotter" photography sucks balls. You will not improve your automotive photography composition with a whole bunch of other distractions around you. If this is the type of photography that interests you (I.E. Stancenation, cameragang, Etc.) then I suggest you study event photography.

2) Let your cars breathe. Tight shots with just the car don't tell the whole story. Allow your pictures to tell a story. Check out Webb Bland, Easton Chang, Fredric Schlosser. Those guys are experts at telling a story with their imagery.

3) Don't get caught up in "details". The key to good photography is balance. Yes you own a new camera, yes you can freeze and zoom in on detail your eye doesn't normally take time to stare at. Don't get enamored with that. Again tell a story with your shot.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

·
Night team.
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't think I like event photography that much - you're right in saying there are a lot of distractions (and people walking through!).

I took a quick search of those names, and wow! Those pictures really do say a lot.

Thanks for the thoughts, it's given me something to think about. I appreciate it :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts