Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the common theme with modding is "you get what you pay for" but has anyone had any luck with any of the cheap Amazon or Ebay gauges? I want to add some to my interior, but don't have the $150-$200 per gauge to put out right now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Gauges are not there for looks but for function...and accurate, reliable and long lived function.

My gauges were not cheap. Since they are there for reliability, money was not an option (a $250+ gauge is cheaper than rebuilding an engine). So, sorry, cannot recommend cheap gauges.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Boost, meth, AFR, oil temp, oil pressure and trans temp. I also have a Greddy Profec EBC. I am a '14 boosted 3.8 w/8AT.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,267 Posts
My AF gauge I've had for over 10 years. It's a Innovate LC-1 with a digital surface mount display. Second car it's been on. Though I have had to replace the sensor and install a heat sink around the sensor.

Boost gauge is a Prosport. It's about 7 years old. The leds segments had gone out on the gauge and had been replaced and the sensor too had to be replace as moisture corroded the internals of it.

I would not buy the cheaper Prosport gauges if I were to do this again. I have an oil temp and pressure gauge too and both gauges have had to be replaced due to the LED segment failure.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the Prosport Evo boost and wideband o2 and they work fine, they also match the interior lights as well.
I paid $360 for both gauges along with two mounting cups specifically for the Evo gauges, and two mini add a circuit 5 amp fuse connectors for a clean install so I dont have to cut or splice into my stock wiring. I think Prosport is pretty good for the money and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My AF gauge I've had for over 10 years. It's a Innovate LC-1 with a digital surface mount display. Second car it's been on. Though I have had to replace the sensor and install a heat sink around the sensor.

Boost gauge is a Prosport. It's about 7 years old. The leds segments had gone out on the gauge and had been replaced and the sensor too had to be replace as moisture corroded the internals of it.

I would not buy the cheaper Prosport gauges if I were to do this again. I have an oil temp and pressure gauge too and both gauges have had to be replaced due to the LED segment failure.
I thought I was the only one that had an Led segment burn out on the Prosport gauge. Its an led bulb that looks like it was burnt out since new.
Its nothing major its just a lil dot or two that dont light up thats all, but for $197 wideband you would expect it to be perfect. When you refer to the led segment are you refering to the whole circuit board inside the gauge or just the led bulb that went bad?
As far as the moisture issue the rep at Prosport told me they were aware of that and they have a water proof box that seals the wiring to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I personally do not like LED gauges fir that and questionable accuracy. The OLED should be better but atill ooted not go with them.

Edit: my AFR does have the LED readout.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I thought about that before buying them "Led light failure, and reliable accuracy readings", but Prosport makes good reliable products from what ive seen and heard, not to mention ive seen them on numerous gen coupes with big turbo upgrades and if they were garbage im sure they would have been exposed by now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I thought about that before buying them "Led light failure, and reliable accuracy readings", but Prosport makes good reliable products from what ive seen and heard, not to mention ive seen them on numerous gen coupes with big turbo upgrades and if they were garbage im sure they would have been exposed by now.
Trust me, I have seen people cheap out on "smaller secondary" (but important) parts after spending serious bucks and time on builds. I just dont get it...

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,267 Posts
I've had issues with Prosports cheaper oil pressure senders, same one Glowshift used too for their cheaper version, and the gauge itself with accuracy. The senders will go out of wack and give false high numbers and the gauge circuit board over time fatigues at the connection and you have to actually bend it with a screwdriver (their instructions). But I have found that grounding the senders well is very important. But when the work the are very accurate.

Out of the three gauges I have of their digital series all have been replaced at least once in the six years I've had them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Trust me, I have seen people cheap out on "smaller secondary" (but important) parts after spending serious bucks and time on builds. I just dont get it...
Your absolutely right I have seen it to I agree with you. For me I believe that modding and cheap dont belong in the same sentence lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had issues with Prosports cheaper oil pressure senders, same one Glowshift used too for their cheaper version, and the gauge itself with accuracy. The senders will go out of wack and give false high numbers and the gauge circuit board over time fatigues at the connection and you have to actually bend it with a screwdriver (their instructions). But I have found that grounding the senders well is very important. But when the work the are very accurate.

Out of the three gauges I have of their digital series all have been replaced at least once in the six years I've had them.

Wow all of the gauges had to be replaced within six years thats obviously not good, and bad quality control on there end. Now your making me worry if im going to have problems with my wideband as im installing it this weekend. I had the boost installed almost a year ago and no problems. The wideband's wiring was installed but I didnt have the sensor installed on the Dp, because I didnt have my Txs stealth back system at the time. Hopefully it works fine like the boost gauge with no problems. Also as always thanks for your insight Red.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,267 Posts
The new Prosport Digital series oil pressure gauge show voltage for 60 seconds before going to oil pressure when starting up. And will show the voltage when driving too for a minute at odd times. This can be disabled with some switches inside.

But when they go bad the way to tell is to see what the oil pressure is when the motor is off. They tend to start showing pressure when there is none which translates into higher pressure that what you really have. So you have to see the oil pressure before you start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts