Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just joined this page and I was looking for some ideas on what to do to my genesis. I just picked up a 2013 3.8 GT model and I want to know what people have done to upgrade performance and handling like exhaust systems, coil overs and general things to improve the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you want to start with the most bang-for-your-buck, I would go with a Tros or Sprint throttle booster. It’s the most noticeable upgrade, I think, as it allows you to override the slow throttle rate that Hyundai sets at the factory, and it’s tune-able to your liking.

Next I would add an oil catch can. No performance benefit, but it adds longevity to your performance by separating out oil vapors that would otherwise cause carbon buildup on your intake valves, and ultimately make the car slower over time. Skip the overpriced Mishimoto setup, the $30 eBay can I used worked perfectly, and with hoses and clamps, was installed for under $50.

The last inexpensive mod I did was to install some 15mm/20mm wheel spacers. The stock wheels were too inset for my liking, and a set of spacers made just enough difference that I put off buying different wheels for several years.

Exhaust is a great upgrade, but don’t expect huge power gains, it just sounds better. Do your own research, sound is very subjective. Don’t just ask here which one is “best”, as you’ll get 10 different opinions and little useful info. Test pipes, for removal of the secondary cats, will make the car louder and add a good bit of rasp. If that’s your thing, go for it. The amount of rasp was too much for me.

Skip the short ram intake. You can do a full on cold air induction from 3point8 performance (and add his manifold riser), or just a $50 K&N filter. The short ram looks cool, but ingesting hot air to a heat-soaked metal tube isn’t great for performance. Might work on a dyno, but less effective in the real world.

Next, if you plan a series of engine mods, don’t consider a tune until they’re all completed, then go custom. A canned tune is okay, but not tailored to your specific setup, which means it’s not as effective as it could be.

Springs and/coil overs are great, but coils offer much more adjustability. For the price of springs and shortened Bilsteins, you could do a number of coils over systems, like BCs.

That ought to get you started. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to start with the most bang-for-your-buck, I would go with a Tros or Sprint throttle booster. It’s the most noticeable upgrade, I think, as it allows you to override the slow throttle rate that Hyundai sets at the factory, and it’s tune-able to your liking.

Next I would add an oil catch can. No performance benefit, but it adds longevity to your performance by separating out oil vapors that would otherwise cause carbon buildup on your intake valves, and ultimately make the car slower over time. Skip the overpriced Mishimoto setup, the $30 eBay can I used worked perfectly, and with hoses and clamps, was installed for under $50.

The last inexpensive mod I did was to install some 15mm/20mm wheel spacers. The stock wheels were too inset for my liking, and a set of spacers made just enough difference that I put off buying different wheels for several years.

Exhaust is a great upgrade, but don’t expect huge power gains, it just sounds better. Do your own research, sound is very subjective. Don’t just ask here which one is “best”, as you’ll get 10 different opinions and little useful info. Test pipes, for removal of the secondary cats, will make the car louder and add a good bit of rasp. If that’s your thing, go for it. The amount of rasp was too much for me.

Skip the short ram intake. You can do a full on cold air induction from 3point8 performance (and add his manifold riser), or just a $50 K&N filter. The short ram looks cool, but ingesting hot air to a heat-soaked metal tube isn’t great for performance. Might work on a dyno, but less effective in the real world.

Next, if you plan a series of engine mods, don’t consider a tune until they’re all completed, then go custom. A canned tune is okay, but not tailored to your specific setup, which means it’s not as effective as it could be.

Springs and/coil overs are great, but coils offer much more adjustability. For the price of springs and shortened Bilsteins, you could do a number of coils over systems, like BCs.

That ought to get you started. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks for all the info I apprciate it! I found that you have to relocate your washer fluid for that intake, did you find a solution for that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts