Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've never tracked my car before and I'm going to be taking a course next month at raceway park in Jersey to learn how.

I know i have to get a helmet, change my brake fluid, and get new front pads but I'm having a hard time finding out which pads are best for the track so i was hoping some of you guys could point some out for me.

Before the flaming starts i did search multiple times but all the pads seem to have virtually the same description, so i was hoping to hear from some guys who actually track their cars.

I saw hawk has a large selection of pads but I've heard the HP's are more of a street pad and their higher end ones are a little beyond what i was hoping to pay just for pads, i have no problem spending 150 for front pads but 300 seems a little steep for a beginner like me.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
787 Posts
Try carbotech XP10 up front and XP8 in the rear. They were great on my track days. Wasn't holding back either since I knew the track already. The hotter they got, the more bite they had.

Combined with ATE typ200 fluid there was no fade whatsoever throughout the day.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I got Hawk HPS if you want to step it up a lil more you could grab the HPS+. They handled well when I went to the track last weekend no fade. Though I did not brake that much only 1 straight that really made me brake hard. Also went with DOT 5.1 fluid because with timing of redoing my brakes I could not get any racing fluid. I will be able to give a better review of the set up when I get back from VIR next month since it requires alot more braking then the track I went to.

Another thing to consider in your choice between Carbotech and Hawk is with Hawks you just need to sand down your current rotors before bedding them. With Carbotech they recommend new rotors, but you could have them turned.

When I went to the track for the first time I actually did not have any issues with the stock fluid. I did get some brake fade from the stock pads though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the carbotechs seem good but i cant find anywhere that sells them so if someone can point a website out i'd appreciate it. and idk about hawk, the DTC pads are over my head for now and i know someone with the HPS pads and they don't seem aggressive enough. if someone has track experience with the HP+ I'd greatly appreciate feedback on them bcuz that seems like the most viable option right now.
any other reccomendations with experience to back them up would b great

·
Registered
787 Posts
You don't really need to get new rotors for the carbotech pads any more than you need to for other brands. Of course they're going to recommend it. All you need to do is bed them in properly. My oem rear rotors went from shiny metallic to a dull blue film after bed in. They worked just fine.

Don't buy a street compound pad for the track. They may work fine for lighter braking/beginners but at some point they'll fade if you're taking the car to the limits. Had an evo X in front of me on the track fly off into the sand pit because he lost his brakes. He was running HPS pads iirc. Tore up his bumper, liners, and left his interior completed covered in dirt.

You can order the pads from carbotech direct. Send them an email or call. They have resellers as well so if you know the part # you can order through them too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gunna hold off for a couple more days to see if anyone has any other reccomendations but if not i'm gunna go with the carbotechs if you're that confident in them vox. just out of curiosity how many times have you tracked your gen? and how much of a difference do you feel bedding the brakes made?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
I just got some EBC Yellow stuffs. I've used them in the past with other cars and am quite pleased. Work OK on the street too.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
the carbotechs seem good but i cant find anywhere that sells them so if someone can point a website out i'd appreciate it. and idk about hawk, the DTC pads are over my head for now and i know someone with the HPS pads and they don't seem aggressive enough. if someone has track experience with the HP+ I'd greatly appreciate feedback on them bcuz that seems like the most viable option right now.
any other reccomendations with experience to back them up would b great
I run HP+ in the front, HPS in the back, and I've been to the track at least 7-8 times, with multiple sessions each time, and when up to temp the HP+ brake like a mofo, and the HP+/HPS are giving me a perfect OEM-ish bias from front to back.

The HP+ put out a lot of dust and squeal when cold, but all higher-end pads do that.

I've put ~10k miles on the front pads, they are about 50% gone, but again that's with lots of track time, and the track I go to is very tight, very hard on the brakes.

NO need to replace the rotors, I've slapped the new pads in on the OEM Brembo Rotors and after the proper Burnishing(bedding) of the pads, the things work flawlessly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run HP+ in the front, HPS in the back, and I've been to the track at least 7-8 times, with multiple sessions each time, and when up to temp the HP+ brake like a mofo, and the HP+/HPS are giving me a perfect OEM-ish bias from front to back.

The HP+ put out a lot of dust and squeal when cold, but all higher-end pads do that.

I've put ~10k miles on the front pads, they are about 50% gone, but again that's with lots of track time, and the track I go to is very tight, very hard on the brakes.

NO need to replace the rotors, I've slapped the new pads in on the OEM Brembo Rotors and after the proper Burnishing(bedding) of the pads, the things work flawlessly.
thanks for the feedback on the hawks, ur making me strongly reconsider the HP+ now lol. I dont plan on replacing the rotors and I'm only putting on the pads days before i go to the track and taking them off as soon after so i dont mind if they squeal as they will only be my track pads.

I'm gunna email carbotech about pricing, but on their website i don't see anything saying that they make pads for our cars :confused:

Any other reccomendations or shared experiences will be much appreciated

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm gunna email carbotech about pricing, but on their website i don't see anything saying that they make pads for our cars :confused:

Any other reccomendations or shared experiences will be much appreciated
I'm not a carbotech fanboy by any means but I will say that a majority of the veterans at the tracks I've been to run carbotech pads. I don't know why.

Well I do know why, I mean, they work really well. What I don't know is why Hawk/EBC are not more popular around here. I'm sure they work fine as long as you have the right compound for your application.

That being said, when I called/talked to carbotech they took into account the weight/power of my car as well as the capability/grip of the tires I was running before recommending pad compounds for front and rear. They also have varying track compounds (XP8,10,12,16) that have different temperature ranges/coefficient of friction. It wasn't simply X or Y pad fits your car or here's our one track pad compound take it or leave it.

Their attention to detail might be a reason the track guys I've met use them.

(and yes they do have pads for the track edition of the gencoupe, the rear of the base trim, and probably by now the fronts as well. Also keep in mind you have the 3.8 gencoupe so you'll be going faster than the 2.0T guys and putting more strain on the brakes)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a carbotech fanboy by any means but I will say that a majority of the veterans at the tracks I've been to run carbotech pads. I don't know why.

Well I do know why, I mean, they work really well. What I don't know is why Hawk/EBC are not more popular around here. I'm sure they work fine as long as you have the right compound for your application.

That being said, when I called/talked to carbotech they took into account the weight/power of my car as well as the capability/grip of the tires I was running before recommending pad compounds for front and rear. They also have varying track compounds (XP8,10,12,16) that have different temperature ranges/coefficient of friction. It wasn't simply X or Y pad fits your car or here's our one track pad compound take it or leave it.

(and yes they do have pads for the track edition of the gencoupe, the rear of the base trim, and probably by now the fronts as well. Also keep in mind you have the 3.8 gencoupe so you'll be going faster than the 2.0T guys and putting more strain on the brakes)
well vox you certainly make carbotech sound like a high end company that would be very capable at the track, but at the same time they sound a little too technical for me at this point. I'm gonna look into the EBCs a little more and if i can't find anything there i will likely go for the HP+ hawks.
thanks for all your help vox but i think I'd rather hold off on the carbotechs until i have more experience and can appreciate them more compared to another type of pad.
any other reccomendations or experiences are still welcome

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts

That's still left to prove..:D :rofl:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Stock for stock he is correct, but 3.8 also weighs a lil more as well so that is even more strain.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thanks for the help everyone, I've decided that I'm gunna get HP+ hawks for the front and keep stock on the rear for now. after my first time at the track I'll see how necessary i feel the rears are.
But before i pull the trigger and put in the order i just need to know one thing, and i know its a noob question but hey I've never bought brakes before.
When i go to order a set of front brake pads, is that set 2 pads (for one of the front calipers) or does it have 4 pads? (making it for both front calipers?) Just want to know so i order the right amount.

And also how much brake fluid do i need?

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
thanks for the help everyone, I've decided that I'm gunna get HP+ hawks for the front and keep stock on the rear for now. after my first time at the track I'll see how necessary i feel the rears are.
But before i pull the trigger and put in the order i just need to know one thing, and i know its a noob question but hey I've never bought brakes before.
When i go to order a set of front brake pads, is that set 2 pads (for one of the front calipers) or does it have 4 pads? (making it for both front calipers?) Just want to know so i order the right amount.

And also how much brake fluid do i need?
Pads come in sets of 4 pads, 2 each caliper.

When I fully flushed the OEM stuff out with Ate SuperBlue Fluid, I used a 1L bottle, I had like 1/10th left after all the bleeding was done.

BTW using the OEM pads in the rear with HP+ in the front worked very well for me.

Also Please read carefully the "Bedding(Burnishing)" Instructions, since the HP+ needs to be properly bedded before you can use them to their full potential. Be prepared to smell burnt brakes...LOL!!

Also make sure you bleed the brakes very thoroughly.

Last thing I would recommend, since you're there, a set of SS brake lines and clutch line too. It's a very good investment, the pedal feel will be firm and much better than OEM.

·
Resident Critic
841 Posts
Performance Friction pads...

/end

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the info monopoly, i'm hoping i can bed them a day or two before i go to the track and I'm gunna get blue fluid so i can tell when they're bled out. all the reccomendations are greatly appreciated, I'm gunna order the fluid and pads later today, and ill let u kno how the hp+ pads work for me after i get back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts