Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all owners of a Genesis coupe! I have been looking forward to getting into one of these cars and I can't do that just yet. Firstly I am in Canada or to make things more simple I am in Ontario where you need to have a G2 license to drive a car alone. For me to even get my G2 I have to wait till at least January of 2022 or wait the full 12 months and get my G2 in May 2022. At this moment in time (age 17) I am saving up all my money from work so I can afford one of these. I have been doing a lot of research on these cars but here are somethings I cannot find the answer to.

-How long will a stock '13 2.0T Premium last me?
-what type of fuel will I need to use (really hoping its not premium)?
-How reliable is this model of the car?
-How reliable is the turbo?
-How expensive might insurance be (thinking of putting it under my dads name so I won't have to pay as much)?
-things I might need to know before purchasing this car.

Forgot to mention that the car I am currently looking into purchasing has Km 143,551 (89,198 miles) on it. I don't want to purchase this car when I get my G2 license and then have it break on me within the first year.

this is the link to the car. The car I have been looking at.

I don't know how long it'll take for me to get replies but I am really hoping I can get them ASAP so I can sleep peacefully at night knowing the car I want is worth working all these hours for.

Thanks!

· Registered
451 Posts
My last Gennie was a 2.0t premium auto and I blew a whole in the block and it was completely stock stock. I did purchase it with 103K miles and when it blew it has 120K miles so I have no idea what kind of abuse it went through before I got it.

· Registered
451 Posts
Also you can use 87 octane but I would highly recommend always putting premium in it. With turbo cars premium greatly increases gas mileage and you get a little hp boost and I feel like its better on the engine in the long run.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing @PeanutButter. Another thing I want to add is that I found a 2013 3.8L V6 going for $12,500 but it needs new tires. What tires do I get for that car if I end up going with that 3.8.
Quick side not this 3.8 has been in a minor parking lot accident but hasn't affected the car at all. the 2013 3.8 its also only got Km 110,900

· Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for sharing @PeanutButter. Another thing I want to add is that I found a 2013 3.8L V6 going for $12,500 but it needs new tires. What tires do I get for that car if I end up going with that 3.8.
Quick side not this 3.8 has been in a minor parking lot accident but hasn't affected the car at all. the 2013 3.8 its also only got Km 110,900
The 2013 3.8 I have I just got was a salvage that had been sitting for a year and the tires had dry rot. I got all new Firestone Fire hawk 500 indys for cheap from Tire rack. So far I love the tires, for the price you can't beat them.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2013 3.8 I have I just got was a salvage that had been sitting for a year and the tires had dry rot. I got all new Firestone Fire hawk 500 indys for cheap from Tire rack. So far I love the tires, for the price you can't beat them.
So do you recommend I get the 2013 2.0T premium or the 2013 3.8 and get the tires? I also wanted to ask you how many km did your 3.8 have when you got it? And has it had any issues so far? Also thanks for being active and responding I really appreciate it!

· Registered
451 Posts
So do you recommend I get the 2013 2.0T premium or the 2013 3.8 and get the tires? I also wanted to ask you how many km did your 3.8 have when you got it? And has it had any issues so far? Also thanks for being active and responding I really appreciate it!
My 2013 3.8 only has 33,000 miles on it. First owner had it for 6 years from 2013 to 2018 and put 6k miles on it. Last owner that got it at auction from when it had damage from front end collision had it sitting for about a year while they fixed it. I got it for $16,500.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2013 3.8 only has 33,000 miles on it. First owner had it for 6 years from 2013 to 2018 and put 6k miles on it. Last owner that got it at auction from when it had damage from front end collision had it sitting for about a year while they fixed it. I got it for $16,500.
seems like that car is going to last you a while. I think I'm leaning a bit more towards the 3.8 as it is faster and probably more reliable because it has no turbo charger to worry about. I do wonder how many Km or for you miles it'll last? The 2.0T has that nice blow off valve sound and I just cannot get over it. Which car would you recommend?

· Registered
1,787 Posts
All things being equal I'd go with the 3.8 for the reasons you stated. More power out of the box and less to potentially go wrong.
It's always a bit of a gamble with used cars, my general rule is go for the lowest mileage, newest model, with the least modifications you can find. If you happen to find a garage queen 2.0T I wouldn't pass that up either.

· Registered
451 Posts
Do you think this one is worth it? 3.8 gennie Its got decently low KM/Miles (Km110,000) (Miles 68,910) all it would need is a new set of tires.
I would go for the 3.8 if it was me, but it really comes down to personal preference on this.

· Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
634 Posts
Octane has ZERO to do with gas mileage. Higher Octane has a lower chance of detonation or the pinging you hear in engines. Gen coupe has a knock sensor.
Adding premium fuel will however add a little bit of hp/tq since the car sees the higher Octane and uses a more aggressive timing.
But again....the huge myth about Octane and gas mileage just isn't true. My friend has a Chrysler 300 sport. His car calls for 87. He's been putting 94 in it because I use that in my car. (Custom tuned ecu so I need it) he went back to 87 and there was no difference besides the price of the gas.
If you go to any website that sells gas ( Crown, Valero, etc..) or look this up from any magazine rhats legit you will see Octane is for detonation protection if you car NEEDS it, and nothing to do with gal mileage.

Reactions: lvdukerider

· Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
634 Posts
Found this in a quick search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.