Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Looking into getting a 2013 2.0T Premium and I need some help...

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  harry brown 
#1 ·
Hi to all owners of a Genesis coupe! I have been looking forward to getting into one of these cars and I can't do that just yet. Firstly I am in Canada or to make things more simple I am in Ontario where you need to have a G2 license to drive a car alone. For me to even get my G2 I have to wait till at least January of 2022 or wait the full 12 months and get my G2 in May 2022. At this moment in time (age 17) I am saving up all my money from work so I can afford one of these. I have been doing a lot of research on these cars but here are somethings I cannot find the answer to.

-How long will a stock '13 2.0T Premium last me?
-what type of fuel will I need to use (really hoping its not premium)?
-How reliable is this model of the car?
-How reliable is the turbo?
-How expensive might insurance be (thinking of putting it under my dads name so I won't have to pay as much)?
-things I might need to know before purchasing this car.

Forgot to mention that the car I am currently looking into purchasing has Km 143,551 (89,198 miles) on it. I don't want to purchase this car when I get my G2 license and then have it break on me within the first year.

this is the link to the car. The car I have been looking at.

I don't know how long it'll take for me to get replies but I am really hoping I can get them ASAP so I can sleep peacefully at night knowing the car I want is worth working all these hours for.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
My last Gennie was a 2.0t premium auto and I blew a whole in the block and it was completely stock stock. I did purchase it with 103K miles and when it blew it has 120K miles so I have no idea what kind of abuse it went through before I got it.

#3 ·
Also you can use 87 octane but I would highly recommend always putting premium in it. With turbo cars premium greatly increases gas mileage and you get a little hp boost and I feel like its better on the engine in the long run.

#5 ·
The 2013 3.8 I have I just got was a salvage that had been sitting for a year and the tires had dry rot. I got all new Firestone Fire hawk 500 indys for cheap from Tire rack. So far I love the tires, for the price you can't beat them.

#9 ·
All things being equal I'd go with the 3.8 for the reasons you stated. More power out of the box and less to potentially go wrong.
It's always a bit of a gamble with used cars, my general rule is go for the lowest mileage, newest model, with the least modifications you can find. If you happen to find a garage queen 2.0T I wouldn't pass that up either.

#11 ·
I would go for the 3.8 if it was me, but it really comes down to personal preference on this.

#13 ·
Octane has ZERO to do with gas mileage. Higher Octane has a lower chance of detonation or the pinging you hear in engines. Gen coupe has a knock sensor.
Adding premium fuel will however add a little bit of hp/tq since the car sees the higher Octane and uses a more aggressive timing.
But again....the huge myth about Octane and gas mileage just isn't true. My friend has a Chrysler 300 sport. His car calls for 87. He's been putting 94 in it because I use that in my car. (Custom tuned ecu so I need it) he went back to 87 and there was no difference besides the price of the gas.
If you go to any website that sells gas ( Crown, Valero, etc..) or look this up from any magazine rhats legit you will see Octane is for detonation protection if you car NEEDS it, and nothing to do with gal mileage.

Reactions: lvdukerider
#14 ·
Found this in a quick search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.