Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hearing a rattle around 4,500 RPM for about 3 days, it was raining most of the time so I wasn't sure if it was just debris from the weather conditions. Yesterday as I make my way to the highway entrance and try to reach highway speed (70 mph) my car starts rattling really hard and all of the sudden I hear a big POP! I see white smoke coming from the side of the car and I immediately pulled over and turned off the car. Before I turned off the car noticed that the red oil light turned on in the dash. I was told that a flame started underneath the car before I had pulled over and turned off the motor. Before I called a tow truck I noticed that oil was spilled from the bottom of the car. I walk back a bit on the highway to see if I find parts that fell off and I sure did! Looks like I found a piece of one of my pistons and what looks to me something else that sits by the piston. The car has 70k miles and is now sitting in front of the CarMax because I have the CarMax insurance and I am still covered for another 4 years. I'm just curious to see if anyone in the forums knows exactly what these parts are and can tell me more or less what probably happened. I really appreciate it guys! Link to picture of recovered pieces: drive.google.com/file/d/0B38l6224sAUHVi1iSTdJQUhIUlk/view?usp=sharing ; Link is missing h t t p s : / /

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
I was hearing a rattle around 4,500 RPM for about 3 days, it was raining most of the time so I wasn't sure if it was just debris from the weather conditions. Yesterday as I make my way to the highway entrance and try to reach highway speed (70 mph) my car starts rattling really hard and all of the sudden I hear a big POP! I see white smoke coming from the side of the car and I immediately pulled over and turned off the car. Before I turned off the car noticed that the red oil light turned on in the dash. I was told that a flame started underneath the car before I had pulled over and turned off the motor. Before I called a tow truck I noticed that oil was spilled from the bottom of the car. I walk back a bit on the highway to see if I find parts that fell off and I sure did! Looks like I found a piece of one of my pistons and what looks to me something else that sits by the piston. The car has 70k miles and is now sitting in front of the CarMax because I have the CarMax insurance and I am still covered for another 4 years. I'm just curious to see if anyone in the forums knows exactly what these parts are and can tell me more or less what probably happened. I really appreciate it guys! Link to picture of recovered pieces: drive.google.com/file/d/0B38l6224sAUHVi1iSTdJQUhIUlk/view?usp=sharing ; Link is missing h t t p s : / /
First set of pieces, I'm not too sure.

Second set, looks to be the ring lands off a piston.

Unless you can look at the connection rod, it's hard to say what happened.

If connecting rod isn't seized onto the crank, then the bearing wouldn't have caused it (not saying that the bearings were good)

Without a teardown, there isn't a good way to guess what happened.

·
Registered
89 Posts
a million things could have happened. as you increased speed and put more load it jumped timing and hit piston on valve and broke the pistion up. judging by oil being under the car I would say your block is cracked. the rods usually swing around like swords and destroy the block. I dropped a valve from jumped timing due to a tensioner failure. same thing. acting weird. got on the highway and pop tick tick tick tick. took the motor apart and it broke 3 valves off and wase throwing them around. with a stock piston it probably woulda cracked it in half. good luck.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
141 Posts
Hope the OP updates this thread. It would be nice to know what the problem was and if it's a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Picture 1: Side of piston (note wrist pin hole) and top section of piston (note a complete set of ring grooves).

Those chunks are NOT going to exit the engine with out a well "air conditioned" engine block.
Don't worry about the condition of the rods, rod bearings or crankshaft as the only "might be salvageable" part on that engine is the cylinder head.

I picked up a frw of those kinds of parts when I was working the infield crew at the local race track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts