Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of emergency and I didn’t know what to search for, so pardon me if this has been discussed...

I was about to take my car for a drive after being stored all winter, to shakedown before next Friday’s track day. During winter I did basic maintenance including brake lines, pads, rotor resurface and flush. Most of winter it was on jack stands.

Problem:
1) I went to put it into gear and drive off but it wouldn’t move. Smelled like clutch burning from trying to start (I think it might be the parking brake seized??)

2) may be related to 1.???
I jacked the car up trying to rotate the wheels to check which brake seized. I rotated the right rear wheel and it shifted toward the front. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2”. Sort of inspected the suspension components but nothing seemed loose on first inspection.

Any suggestions you guys? I’m frustrated...

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out the hub shifting thing... it was a loose control arm bolt at the hub. Stupid, but glad it wasn't a difficult fix.

Still don't know about the vehicle not being able to move in gear. Maybe a stuck e-brake shoe or cable? That's what it sort of behaves like, as if the e brake is engaged when it isn't. That'll be my next check when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I got freaked out being so close to my deadline haha

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,408 Posts
I figured out the hub shifting thing... it was a loose control arm bolt at the hub. Stupid, but glad it wasn't a difficult fix.

Still don't know about the vehicle not being able to move in gear. Maybe a stuck e-brake shoe or cable? That's what it sort of behaves like, as if the e brake is engaged when it isn't. That'll be my next check when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I got freaked out being so close to my deadline haha
Try and take the rear rotor off. You can back off the ebrake shoes just like the old type drum and shoes. There is a rubber plug on the top covering the star wheel access.

Don't force the rotor off or you will destroy the shoes.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, will do. Thanks Red! You da man

Now if I can just get people to stop bothering me at work so I can go home early...

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
It wasn’t the e brake. Got the rears to spin in first. But then I put it back in neutral... and was able to shift without touching the clutch.

Sounds like a clutch master cylinder to me. Does that sound correct?

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I'm talking to myself here, but issue resolved.

I'm an idiot.
I had installed a front caliper bolt on the rear, that's why it was behaving like the e-brake was always engaged. I was only able to spin the hubs with the wheels off because the brake rotor wasn't tight.
(also learned they will spin in neutral with no wheels on)

And as I said the loose wheel was loose rear control arm bolt, as I said before.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Remember to thoroughly check your work after doing any job, no matter how simple. Especially when you have a late night, lol. Ready for the Track Day on Friday tho!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts