Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo kit for this car is just as much as what I paid for mine from the auction(wrecked). I am talking about around $8000 bucks!!
This is ridiculous and I refuse to believe that I can't come up with another cheaper way. I can weld, and I can turn wrenches, so I can modify my 3.8l
To have turbo if someone has ideas.
Anyone want to share ideas? 馃檪

Premium Member
Weld in what discipline?

I ask this because I am a certed welder, and usually the tools/accessories to weld can cost about $2500 for a decent setup. Then you have to make sure whatever place you are going to be welding at has the phase power and circuits, otherwise the welder isn't going to work, have trouble maintaining an arc, or constantly be tripping circuit breakers. (MIG and TIG)

If you're thinking oxy/acc then it will work, be cheaper to setup... but the part will eventually develop cracks, because of thermal inconsistencies and being in a heat cycling environment.
In short, too much heat for too long welding, will cause it to crack at some point.
Plus "spot welding" when fitting parts, while its on the car, is likely going to cause issues.

I didn't bother mention flux core, because the weld splatter cleanup is a nightmare... I guess you can spot well the parts together on the car with flux core, when fitting, and then just take the parts to a muffler shop and ask them to weld it up for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GTAW welding is all that'd I preform this with, as far as welding goes 馃榿 my friends.
Now, one could stamp out tabbed sheet metal, and proceed to spot weld all essential area's, but air would leak like a sive 馃槀馃ぃ

Nope, tig welding is the only way friends馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe that 1 single post is the response to this....
I believe that this site is dead. Or nobody else has interest in going full turbo mod, for like a 10th of the cost of what's offered out there currently.
Doesn't every coupe owner want to mod thier car?? Wtf?馃馃え

Premium Member
It's because the cost of materials, tools, and work would be marginally cheaper than just buying a full turbo kit.

The biggest difference in the 2 options is time.

a full turbo kit with a tune on genracer is about 5 grand. I don't see exhaust manifolds in any of these kits, so not sure if it uses the existing ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, cost is absolutely the issue here when it comes to adding turbo/turbo's to the geny.
Kits are scarce and around 5 grand at entry level. (For 3.8L bk2)

I paid $300 bucks for a 220v decently equipped TIG welder.
Tank cost around $100 wiith avgas.
Sheet Metal is cheap at any type. i.e. Aluminum, mild steel, stainless steel.
I say $50 for this 馃
A Turbo or two = 3 to 6 hundred.
Belts and pulleys 200.
Intercoolers = I ain't sure but can't be more than a few hundo's for a couple.
Down pipes = again, no fukin idea馃槄 i'll say $300.
Computer stuff 馃 another $300 sounds like a probable amount 馃槀馃槀
So let's see...
****, it seems like $1500 smackaroanies should just about cover parts and materials.
Cut that in half if you buy from E bay馃槑 and
We're looking at around 800 Biggins.
So there ya have it folks, under a grand and it can all be yours if you can weld, wire, turn wrenches, deal and haggle, and have a decent pair right in between there, to try some **** like this to your already perfectly working car馃榾 I'll let ya'lls know how badly I regret doing this just as soon as I get up the cash to waste, and take the plunge into TURBO LAND.... stay tuned馃お

1 - 6 of 6 Posts