Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Genesis coupe 3.8 track... so bolt ons I have a injen cold air intake, J2 headers, ark down pipes and test pipes, straight pipe back, ported throttle body and a throttle body spacer with a BTR canned tune. I was thinking about getting the 3point8 manifold riser but it says if I have a canned tune Ill need a custom tune in order to run the riser. Do I absolutely need a custom tune if I want to run the manifold riser? or can I just use it with my canned tune?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been looking at this riser as well and am also curious. It says it would need to be retuned because, "This manifold riser extends the length of the intake runners which allows the air flow more time to reach optimal velocity-"

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you guys ask 3point8 directly? Maybe shoot him an email or pm on here. Post for the rest of us please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wouldn't you want to get the most out of it anyway? I would say the riser is more beneficial than keeping the canned tune, but if it worries you, wait and get retuned at the same time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look up 3poimt8 post about upgrade paths. Some good info about headers for bk1 vs bk2.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yesterday I was with my Bk1 3.8 on the circuit, and if it is true that the original engine has a significant lack of power compared to other cars, any compact 2.0t is more straight.

I read everything ones and maybe it works or maybe it doesn't. I think we ended up doing a biturbo kit with small T04 turbos, blowing at 1BAR and a remap ECU. That is what this engine needs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Under upgrade paths for 3.8
Also has an updated version same title

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your canned tune gives your car greater ability to acclimate to changes made in its O2 intake and or exhaust. Having said that any change then ECM re-adjusted is going to give you greater bang for the buck.

You will notice a great difference with the riser, even without a custom tweak. But it is change part one. It allows your car to inhale better, but not exhale better. Do it and let your exhaust go free and stand the F-ck by.**** (I just re read your post, u do have better exhaling,....). Oh boy go ahead,.............

So do it, enjoy it, and if you want more, get a custom tweak once shes on. If you have not went a heat range colder in plugs with your canned tune, definitely go colder with the riser,...it leans your AFRs out because of all the extra air.
You will notice it, trust me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't wanna get carried away like I did with my z28. Bu the time I finished with that it was every conceivable bolt on, add in a 8 psi pro charger SC and I had a lot of fun!

Lol I really was content with just stock on the coupe. BUT.....the exhaust note rasp was just to much and started being like that kid in the back seat that just keeps asking...are we there yet? Are we there yet?...so there comes the Solo Exhaust. Then I was like well, a canned tune will wake up and fix the little drivability issues all in one shot. That turned into may as well do the TCU all together. Oh no..DAMMIT...I have the bug again. ;)
For now at least, I'm just sticking with both tunes and SOLO exhaust. (K&N drop in)
On a side note, it did take about 3 days before I could actually feel the tune. The TCU was immediately felt.
All my info and plan of attack came from ideas off this site. Best article to read was the how to upgrade your 3.8 and the upgraded version too. 3point8 post are great reads. I'm rambling on...
Thanks once again for the help and info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Your canned tune gives your car greater ability to acclimate to changes made in its O2 intake and or exhaust. Having said that any change then ECM re-adjusted is going to give you greater bang for the buck.

You will notice a great difference with the riser, even without a custom tweak. But it is change part one. It allows your car to inhale better, but not exhale better. Do it and let your exhaust go free and stand the F-ck by.**** (I just re read your post, u do have better exhaling,....). Oh boy go ahead,.............

So do it, enjoy it, and if you want more, get a custom tweak once shes on. If you have not went a heat range colder in plugs with your canned tune, definitely go colder with the riser,...it leans your AFRs out because of all the extra air.
You will notice it, trust me.
I though I read with adding the riser I would have to retune?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I though I read with adding the riser I would have to retune?
You did, as did I on the 3.8 site. The reality is you dont need to, and you will notice it even with your canned tune. But t get the most out of it of course you should re tune.

·
Registered
165 Posts
At, gotcha. Don't want to start a flame,
But I have done and seen the throttle body spacer put on several different cars now and still haven't seen a difference in performance. This is why I kinda narrowed it down to what I have done, plus wanting the riser. I like reading older post from years ago on here and see how people learned what did and didn't work. 3point8 post are great reads. I am doing the heat wrap this week as well as finishing up the Solo exhaust install.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Not only could I feel mine, I could see what it was doing. AFRs. I added my huge straight pipe 4.5 exhaust to the equation and omfg. Its nuts.

Of course I had my entire IM plenum split/ported/polished, then added the riser, with 6 meth injectors,...........yuk,yuk yuk.
**Go big or go home I always say,LOL.

***Honestly, on a NA with it tuned in would yield about 25-30 whp. The big difference is what it does to the torque band in the rpm range especially mid range.

Im boosted/race gas fed, and this stuff has me breaking my rear end, and producing 3 psi higher than it did before I had it.
So its taking a tune with a ECM programmed for a max 8.5 that was boost T limted to 6.5, and pushes 10.5 psi at only moderate throttle !

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well I ordered the riser, and their intake manifold upper and lower, TB, and looking for a true CAI. (Sold out)
Then I guess I'm off to SFR to go custom from canned.
The improvements are fun, the cash spent isn't 😁

Reactions: Triple-D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I ordered the riser, and their intake manifold upper and lower, TB, and looking for a true CAI. (Sold out)
Then I guess I'm off to SFR to go custom from canned.
The improvements are fun, the cash spent isn't 😁
You should definitely get a remote tuning kit from Titan and get custom alphaspeed tuned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
SFR is only an hour or so away.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No he should'nt, nothing against TITAN or Aplha,....but they just dont do/know the 8AT in refrence to tuning the ECM and the TCU. Sam of SFR is the only dude in the US right now that can do it right.

Im a huge 3.8 fan, but experts are experts, the 8AT is a finicky stubborn bitch if you dont do it right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ops...forgot to say I have that too. Got the canned and TCU at the same time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts