Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently just bought a 2010 gen coupe and it has about ~50,000 miles on it. Quite a few problems but I just need to change fluids at this point. At the moment I have a weird grind whenever I change into 5th gear. I heard using red line shock proof would help. How much fluid does the case take? And how much shockproof and regular fluid should I put in(should I split it in half)? Btw I live in Mass. and currently it's hot af. So should I use MT-90? GL-4? GL-5? MT-85? Help please!:frown:

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
Don't get the shockproof.

It takes 2L to fill. I use AC Delco 10-4014 42291 Best I have used over the years.

100C Kinematic Viscosity = 10.05 cSt
40C Kinematic Viscosity = 50 cSt
VI = 187

In the same range as Amsoil MTL, Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil, Pennzoil Synchromesh, and Valvoline MTF.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's actually just over 2L (2.2L) or 2.3US quarts. Many use the Mitsubishi Diaqueen fluid with good results. I use the correct weight of the Redline fluid. Seems to work fine without grinding.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
So I should just add about 2.2l of AC Delco and it should just fix everything?
It helps won't say it will fix. make sure the clutch is well bled. You might want to get 5L and do a flush a week or so after the change.

I used the lightweight shockproof once and it was terrible to get it ll out. Even after a cleaning flush of new fluid it still came out the sicky green color. I had to rinse the trans in mineral spirits.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Red, I know you tried a few different fluids in the tranny. Just curious why you have not tried some " Ceretec " that was discussed in earlier threads. I have not gotten around to ordering some yet.....but it's on my to do list.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
Red, I know you tried a few different fluids in the tranny. Just curious why you have not tried some " Ceretec " that was discussed in earlier threads. I have not gotten around to ordering some yet.....but it's on my to do list.
I bought some but am pleased with the way the AC Delco worked out so never used it.

Fluids I have used.

Lightweight Shockproof
Redline MT 85
Redline MTL
Mobil 1 motor oil 5w30 HM

If I were to use a "normal" oil again it would probably be a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MT-85.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
141 Posts
The 2010 3.8 Track we bought in May 2017 has developed the 5th gear grind. I didn't notice it on the test drive prior to the purchase, but it didn't take long for it to appear. After we got the car, I had all the fluids and filters replaced along with a fresh set of spark plugs. I don't recall if the fluid change precipitated the 5th gear grind or not. Regardless, it's very evident, and especially with a fast shift from 4 to 5.

So forget the lightweight shockproof fluid and try the AC Delco linked above? Is that still the current wisdom for the 2010 3.8 Track 6MT?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
The AC Delco works for me. The Lightweight Shockproof is terrible to get out. If you don't do a solvent rinse you will be seeing it for the next three changes. I filled my trans with 2l mineral spirits aka paint thinner, and with the back tires off the ground went through all the gears several times.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
Once a year which is about 11k-12k miles. I use 150 mL of Ceratec too. I might go longer on this fill which would put it around next early summer and 15k.

Put a magnetic plug in last time too. KIA part.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
141 Posts
Once a year which is about 11k-12k miles. I use 150 mL of Ceratec too. I might go longer on this fill which would put it around next early summer and 15k.

Put a magnetic plug in last time too. KIA part.
Good idea on the mag drain plug. Is there a KIA p/n I should know?

My son is putting about 6-7k miles/year on the GenCoupe at this point. I'd planned on 50k MT fluid change intervals. So the AC Delco doesn't last as long? Or is this just precautionary?

I'm not familiar with Ceratec.

And I still have a small leak in the trunk that gets into the spare tire area on heavy rains (maybe a couple or 3 tablespoons). I'm starting to think it's coming in from the spoiler mounts on the trunk as I see what appears to be some wetness in the bottom center drain hole of the trunk lid after a heavy rain.

Otherwise, this car has been impressive and reliable.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
PLUG - MAGNET 0081017121 is the KIA part number.

The AC Delco is a mineral based fluid. I don't know how it long it will last. I did have problems with the clutch and that is why I was changing fluid every year to try different fluids.

I got the clutch changed this year and that is another reason I'm keeping it in longer.

I use the Ceratec in both my cars engines and the trans in the Gen Coupe at a 6% mix. Seems to work and improve the slipperiness in the trans, better gas mileage in the engine.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
141 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Edit: ordered that mag plug from my local Hyundai dealer for $6.48 plus tax. Not bad. Think I'll ask them about the 5th gear scrape too and see what they say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts